SASS Wire Forum

Hunting in Idaho Heip!

BlackJack Daniels

I have been offered an opportunity to hunt for Elk and deer in Idaho. I know it is zone 1 in the panhandle somewhere new Priest Lake and river. I will find out today wether there are still non resident tags left but I believe there are plenty left. Seein how this is last minute and I would have to get tickets to fly from NH next weds. for about $600 and Elk tag is about $400,Licence another $155....Can anyone tell me if this hunt in this area would be a chance of a lifetime as I am told. Deer/Muley tags would be an additional $300. Lodging and transportation, once I get there would be FREE!

Can anyone give me any info about this area,hunting,etc. so I can make up my trouble mind as wether I should go or just hunt in in NH. Any thoughts on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have been offered an opportunity to hunt for Elk and deer in Idaho. I know it is zone 1 in the panhandle somewhere new Priest Lake and river. I will find out today wether there are still non resident tags left but I believe there are plenty left. Seein how this is last minute and I would have to get tickets to fly from NH next weds. for about $600 and Elk tag is about $400,Licence another $155....Can anyone tell me if this hunt in this area would be a chance of a lifetime as I am told. Deer/Muley tags would be an additional $300. Lodging and transportation, once I get there would be FREE!

Can anyone give me any info about this area,hunting,etc. so I can make up my trouble mind as wether I should go or just hunt in in NH. Any thoughts on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'd go for it, how often do you get this chance, worth it just to tromp around in that country

Just an added hint.

If you can get there a few days early and get use to breathing at a higher altitude you will enjoy your hunt a lot more.

If you can't..... Take it slow!

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

Well it's a Good area:http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/

Here in Idaho we have interactive maps that will allow you to see the terrain. There is heavy brush and trees in that area, a lot of moisture falls. Expect to get wet, cold, wet, Snow, Rain, Cold and did I mention wet?

If you can arrange it...go for it...

One word of caution: We expect pictures and story line upon return ! :rolleyes:

Well it's a Good area:http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/

Here in Idaho we have interactive maps that will allow you to see the terrain. There is heavy brush and trees in that area, a lot of moisture falls. Expect to get wet, cold, wet, Snow, Rain, Cold and did I mention wet?

If you can arrange it...go for it...

One word of caution: We expect pictures and story line upon return ! :rolleyes:

Is next week a good time of the season for Elk in that area? How about Muleys and White tail. Are Bears a big concern in that area? Thank you so much!

Is next week a good time of the season for Elk in that area? How about Muley's and Whitetail. Are Bears a big concern in that area? Thank you so much!

Muleys and Whitetails are both in the area, BEARS are always a problem ! In that website link I provided ,there are several links that will give you harvest records for various species and you can make your own decision...BUT I recommend a Big Bore Caliber, as Animals can be upon you quickly in heavy brush and you don't want to go chasing. ALSO beware that we do have a small grizzly population that drifts back and forth across Montana and Canada without proper passport :rolleyes: So make sure you know you species correctly to avoid any problems.

Muleys and Whitetails are both in the area, BEARS are always a problem ! In that website link I provided ,there are several links that will give you harvest records for various species and you can make your own decision...BUT I recommend a Big Bore Caliber, as Animals can be upon you quickly in heavy brush and you don't want to go chasing. ALSO beware that we do have a small grizzly population that drifts back and forth across Montana and Canada without proper passport :rolleyes: So make sure you know you species correctly to avoid any problems.

Thanks Kid for the info..I checked the website and it was very helpful. Judging by your low sass badge number I am sure you have some extensive knowledge and experience. Thanks again and wish us luck! Keep your powder dry! Sincerely Black Jack Daniels

Okay all I know about elk hunting..

I lived in AZ for 20 plus years and I did put in for elk, cow elk to be exact fro the meat, not so interested in trophys, but that is just me. so, he is the low down for A Z at least.

They like to put the hunts at a full moon .. that way the elk can graxe during night hours so they are tno out grazing when you are hunting. makes it harder, for sure.. but this is hunting right? I used a malrin 3030.. because if I can't get close I am not going to shoot. I aim for the lungs cuz I dont' want to have to hunt htem down and shoot again up close and personal. Elk know I have a weaknees for animals.. and I am willing to stave to death before I shoot them if they look sad in my spottihg scope.. hence the reason i used a sight not a scope on my marlin..

while I was not a very successful hunter I have some of the best stories.. like the time Brad called me at midnight to tell me he was at the camp.. knowing I had to drive up and hunt the next morning.. He lost his ice chest and wanted me to look for it on my way up at 3 am.. lol.. I think he jinxed my hunt..

Good luck.. have fun.. and know they will win.. ..lol Cuz the game in fish dept in that area dropped flyers warning them to avoid you.. lol

Okay all I know about elk hunting..

I lived in AZ for 20 plus years and I did put in for elk, cow elk to be exact fro the meat, not so interested in trophys, but that is just me. so, he is the low down for A Z at least.

They like to put the hunts at a full moon .. that way the elk can graxe during night hours so they are tno out grazing when you are hunting. makes it harder, for sure.. but this is hunting right? I used a malrin 3030.. because if I can't get close I am not going to shoot. I aim for the lungs cuz I dont' want to have to hunt htem down and shoot again up close and personal. Elk know I have a weaknees for animals.. and I am willing to stave to death before I shoot them if they look sad in my spottihg scope.. hence the reason i used a sight not a scope on my marlin..

while I was not a very successful hunter I have some of the best stories.. like the time Brad called me at midnight to tell me he was at the camp.. knowing I had to drive up and hunt the next morning.. He lost his ice chest and wanted me to look for it on my way up at 3 am.. lol.. I think he jinxed my hunt..

Good luck.. have fun.. and know they will win.. ..lol Cuz the game in fish dept in that area dropped flyers warning them to avoid you.. lol

Spoken like a true experienced hunter...:lol: :lol:

re: "We expect pictures and story line upon return".....wait....wha....what???

where's the back strap & tenderloins here!!!!

I don't know everything about elk hunting, but I've killed 18 of them with a recurve or a longbow, most with wooden arrows. I know this for sure: every single hunt in that country is a hunt of a lifetime.

Those that go see God; the rest have to take their word for it.

Don't miss it for love or money. Pictures PLEASE... and take lots of wool.. leave all the cotton you own at home. Yankees in cotton are the reason that the Search and Rescue have something to do.

OH YEAH... take a map and a compass even if you don't know how to use one. The guide will and you should make him orient the map every day and help you draw coordinates.

Archived