SASS Wire Forum

'97 Right Extractor

Grizhicks

During Saturday's match, my wife started having trouble with her 1897 Winchester; it would not eject the empty. After getting it home, I coudl see that the right extractor had come part of the way out and was catching on the opening. I was able to push it back in, but I know it is waiting happen again. What is actually holding the extractor into the bolt? What is the best fix? Is this something with my limit abilities I can do? Thanks, in advance, for your help. -- Grizhicks

The extractor is held in by pressure from the spring and plunger that are installed behind the extractor.

Here's a good diagram from our friend Marauder's site:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/97parts.htm

Take out the three parts, clean well, and you might have to get a new spring if the old one is weak and allowing extractor to pop out.

Good luck, GJ

Had that happen on a NEW 97 my wife got last year. There is a notch in the extractor that the spring loaded plunger

seats in. When compared to an extractor from one of our originals, I found the notch was not nearly as deep.

Plunger was not able to hold it in place.

Took a file and notched it deeper. Works great ever since.

Flatten one side of the plunger and allow the flat portion to rest on the extractor. Typically, the plunger will rotate slightly during cycling and can work its way off of its sweet spot on the extractor. This was fairly common in Chinese 97's.

THANKS GUYS !!! Somethings to look at when I get home this afternoon. BTW, it is a take-apart, made in 1932. -- Griz

If it's an original, pull the plunger and spring and clean the socket in the bolt where they rest. The springs get gummed up and don't follow the extractor when gummy.

I used to have new replacement springs, but there hasn't been much call for them in the last couple of years, so I can't send ya one.

I asked Muleskinner about this and he said the left hand extractor is supposed to push on the bolt so it moves to the right so the rh extractor slides where it should. The cowboys and indian store in socal is stocking the lf one now. I still need to see if this will fix a problem in one of mine.

Tuning extractors is a bit of an art. Some smiths give up and put coil springs under the LH side. This is a semi-permanent solution and fairly workable....not something that the purist would do. However, with the price of LH ext's over $40, purity is in the eye of the beholder.

Archived