SASS Wire Forum

Another poser bites the dust.

Utah Bob #35998

It seems like this situation is a bit more like a mistake than the grotesque misrepresentation and fraud that other pretenders are.

This guys position appears to lend some credibility then being grotesque misrepresentation.

He did say that he wore the green beret as a part of his daily uniform......

While that doesn't make him a Special Forces .....

NOTE this post is in no way intended to offend any Special Forces type.

It seems like this situation is a bit more like a mistake than the grotesque misrepresentation and fraud that other pretenders are.

This guys position appears to lend some credibility then being grotesque misrepresentation.

He did say that he wore the green beret as a part of his daily uniform......

While that doesn't make him a Special Forces .....

NOTE this post is in no way intended to offend any Special Forces type.

It is not a mistake. He purposely lead numerous people to believe he was a qualified Special Forces soldier and profited from it. I will give him credit for issuing an apology and doing the right thing. Few of these posers do.

Putting on a beret because you are attached to a special forces unit as support personnel does not make you a Green Beret any more than being a stable boy at Churchill Downs makes you a Kentucky Derby jockey.

I was in the service when some DA knucklehead made the decision to allow all personnel attached to a Special Forces unit to wear the beret. It wasn't but a few months later at Fort Benning that I passed two female soldiers, one of them hugely pregnant and the other obviously on a weight control plan, who were wearing Green Berets. Something inside of me sank a little that day.

I once trained with a squad of SEALs and learned a lot from them, but in no way would I claim to be one.

During my four-years in the Navy, I spent 60% of my enlistment TAD to other units, including UDT/EOD units, Sea-Bee units, and even a mixed bag of Seals, Marines, and Sea-Bees for a couple of assignments. In the end, I was/am still only an HT (Hull-Maint. Tech.). I wore the Sea Bee greens, I did SEAL PT (that'll test yer metal!), I worked side by side with gun-toting Marines while welding my arse off. That does not make me a SEAL, UDT/EOD diver, Marine, or SpecOps bad-ass. Just a squid who did his duty as ordered, period.

Bodine

UB, What is the legal/military difference between The Green Berets and the Special Forces ?

If there is a real distinction between GB and SF then why was he allowed to where a green beret?

If the ONLY way to get a green beret is to go through SF training then why was he wearing one as part of his daily uniform?

If one says he was a GB because he was wearing one that sounds accurate.

UB, What is the legal/military difference between The Green Berets and the Special Forces ?

If there is a real distinction between GB and SF then why was he allowed to where a green beret?

If the ONLY way to get a green beret is to go through SF training then why was he wearing one as part of his daily uniform?

If one says he was a GB because he was wearing one that sounds accurate.

The Green Berets is simply a nickname fostered upon US Army Special Forces soldiers years ago thanks to a book by Robin Moore and the subsequent movie.

In years past, support troops assigned to Special Forces groups were allowed to wear a beret without the group flash. The flash indicated you were SF qualified. This became problematic as cooks, mechanics and other support personnel were mistaken for actual SF troops and tended to use the beret for less than professional purposes sometimes. The uniform regs were changed and support troops now wear a maroon beret. Qualified SF troops also wear a Special Forces shoulder tab now.

This whole issue could be settled if the Regular Army would bring back the kepi fatigue hat for base wear. I really enjoyed looking like Fidel Castro back in the day. I could not afford cuban cigars on a SP/4 pay, however.

This whole issue could be settled if the Regular Army would bring back the kepi fatigue hat for base wear. I really enjoyed looking like Fidel Castro back in the day. I could not afford cuban cigars on a SP/4 pay, however.

Some insiders have told me that may not be too far off.

But don't expect SF to ever give up their green beanies! ;)

Lawdy, say it ain't so!

Good example of watch what you wish fer.

The SF boys can keep their green beenies. They earn them.

Just like them crazy guys that jump out of perfectly good airplanes can keep their jump boots and bloused Class As.

Some insiders have told me that may not be too far off.

But don't expect SF to ever give up their green beanies! ;)

As of about 4 months ago, the black beret is part of the dress uniform only. :D:) Patrol cap is now standard headgear for the utility unform.

I don't know ANYONE who is displeased with the change :lol:

Well, it IS a step in the right direction. But who designs these things. Of all the services

you would think that the Army would be a little more stylish. JMO I guess. Maybe the

beret was their effort to be stylish.

1991-1994? I was in Support Company, 2nd Bn, 11th Special Forces in 1993-94, after three years of work to get my foot in the door. Desert Storm kept me from joining in 1990, and things were changing big time when I got back. I wasn't jump qualified, so my headgear was the patrol cap w/BDU and garrison cap with Class A. Had I actually gotten to jump school (I had orders, then had them revoked due to 11th Group rolling our flag due to the RIF), I would have gotten to wear the maroon beret. If I'd made it through Q Course, I would have had the privilege of wearing the shoulder tab and green beret. No complaints and no regrets though.

Point being, if he was in a Special Forces unit during that period, he shouldn't have been wearing a Green Beret, to my understanding and recollection.

Archived