SASS Wire Forum

opinion of gw 2's

evil dogooder

Ok as some of you know I don't shoot for speed. But just for fun. Well my dad just threw down the gauntlet abd decuded to challenge me.

Here's the deal. This weekend I shoot my normal way. We average the times between stages. Then I have one year to become a gamer well as far as revolvers anyw!y. Which means new pistols. If next year my honest times aren't half of what I shoot now he pays for a guided hunt next year. If in slower than molasses still I pay for the hunt.

So the question is are gw2's worth getting I'm on A budget of nine hundred for new revolvers.

Either way I win because neither of us have ever done a guided hunt before

Thanks

Evil dogooder

Great Western II revolvers are good guns, as well as many other SAA clones. I wouldn't get the idea that if you get them you will suddenly become much faster. The thing I would recommend would be to try out as many different guns as you can and see what feels best to you. All guns, no matter the brand, will benefit from being tuned. Some, like Rugers, just need lighter springs and some use, while others need more.

It's not so much the gun, as the man using it.

I know they wont make me faster but right now I shoot miss matched guns 45 schofield and 32 hr mag birdshead little ruger. I want to to get matching 38's I like colt clones they work better for my hands if I'm firing fast.

I have one new dakota 38 now which is the smoothest and fastest gun I have. Kinda want to stay with that style gun because it fits me well.

I figure with matching guns and shooting cowboy loads in a 38 instead of factory loaded full power 45s I should gain some time. Id be suprised if I cut ten seconds off but my father thinks I can cut twenty to get to that high twentys to low thirtys per stage time

The Schofield is a fun gun, just not as quick as a Ruger or clone. Many folks like the .32s, so maybe you just need another one for a pair. If I was into the single six size, I'd prefer the regular grip. The Pietta guns are nice, but it should be up to you and what you like/want.

The Schofield is a fun gun, just not as quick as a Ruger or clone. Many folks like the .32s, so maybe you just need another one for a pair. If I was into the single six size, I'd prefer the regular grip. The Pietta guns are nice, but it should be up to you and what you like/want.

I love the schofield and it points more natural to me but I love challenges so...

I love colts but with a young family I just don't have the cash for them

As for rugers....well I'm jinxed by them. Ill keep the three I have but I'm not going to buy any more anytime soon

As for the clones to me it doesn't matter what brand as long as they are dependable

As for the 32. That was a wedding present from my wife ( that I had to pay for ) and will soon be just my plinker. I love the gun and just don't want to put it through the abuse of cas

Howdy,

If you are patient and dont have to have new guns there are these

wonderful guns called Ruger three screws.

They are ruger tough and have four clicks, the best of both worlds.

These come up from time to time on gunbroker.

The ones with no boxes and a little wear have little collector value.

search for ruger three screw, ruger 3 screw, ruger flattop, ruger flat top.

Stuff like that.

they are usually available in 357 with a barrel length of 4something or 6.5 inch.

Buy them, take care of them and I bet you can sell them someday for at least what

you pay fer them.

Best

CR

+1 on the 3 screw Ruger...mater of fact I am looking for one now and I know I will find a keeper for around 300 bucks...But if your mine set on a new pair one I think is over looked and not talked about is is the Heritage Big Bore...I have 3 of them in 357 2 case hardened and a nickel....I have shot the 2 case hardened guns for 2 matches a month and 2 annuals for a year now and I am very happy with them....they are made from Pietta parts and fitted and assembled in Florida. The fit & finish on them is very good I have gotten many compliments on the colors of the case hard finish. They came out of the box with a nice crips 3 1/2 to 4 pound trigger pull and shoot to point of aim and the best part is I bought them all for under 400 bucks each OTD including taxes and fees...

a pair to draw to

take yer pick

Here is my "retirement" Colt and one of my 7 GW2's (it is a fairly scarce all blue model.) they are virtually identical.

I would not trade any of my GW2's for anything...

that is what i think of them

curley

I purchased a consecutive pair of 357 cal. GWII's from EMF just last month along with the SASS edition '73 short rifle in 357 and used them in the new shooter class at the Cowboy's September match in Norco. I polished up the internals on the '73 but didn't short stroke or anything else but I will put a lighter spring on the trigger safety bar in the future. Rifle ran great with the 130 gr. rnfp bullet. The GWII's were slick right out of the box and the 20 participants put several hundred rounds through them with big smiles on their faces. These pistols were a random selection of about 80 pistols that EMF had in stock and every one of the ones I tried before purchasing were timed perfectly and slick right out of the box and were actually smoother than the Rodeo's that I have and smoother action than on Colts right out of the box too. Best Colt clone pistol to use for Cowboy action shooting right out of the box on the market now, in my humble opinion and I have an assortment of several different models and manufacturers that the wife and I have including custom Rugers from Bill Oglesby in Springfield, Illinois, that are our main match pistols. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend GWII's to anyone interested in purchasing a pair of these pistols. If you are considering the GWII's, check the out; you won't be dissapointed.

Wells Fargo

I bought 2 GW Californians a couple of years ago. The only complaint I had was the point of impact was way the hell and gone from point of aim. Had to turn the barrels on both, as well as filing the rear notch.

I would not go through that again. Shoot them over a rest on paper as soon as you get them. If they don't print where you aim, send 'em back.

(The two I used to own have found a new home...)

If you shoot a category that allows adjustable sights, go with a pair of old used Ruger Blackhawks. They are worth the investment.

I bought 2 GW Californians a couple of years ago. The only complaint I had was the point of impact was way the hell and gone from point of aim. Had to turn the barrels on both, as well as filing the rear notch.

I would not go through that again. Shoot them over a rest on paper as soon as you get them. If they don't print where you aim, send 'em back.

(The two I used to own have found a new home...)

If you shoot a category that allows adjustable sights, go with a pair of old used Ruger Blackhawks. They are worth the investment.

Due to a recent injury I find myself switching categorys my left hand can't take. Gunfighter yet. I was thinking maybe b western or duelest.

The GW2's are probably the best gun for the money, I doubt you would be disappointed. The California model is about $450 new and is all the gun you need.

Archived