SASS Wire Forum

You Make the Call

Taquila Tab, Sass #25048

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say reshoot, but did the RO ask the shooter if he understood the course of fire, I see alot more RO's not asking that before they hit the buzzer...

I don't know if he did or not but after about the 2nd or 3rd shooter on a stage it should be an unnecessary question to ask. In this particular case the shooter was around the 15th shooter on that stage. All that really is necessary is...is the shooter ready?...stand by...beep.

The main problem with asking that question is it should be a yes or no answer. But instead, 99% of time if you ask if the shooter understands the course of fire they will recite the shooting scenario to you. With 20+ people on the posse that really slows things down.

I don't know if he did or not but after about the 2nd or 3rd shooter on a stage it should be an unnecessary question to ask. In this particular case the shooter was around the 15th shooter on that stage. All that really is necessary is...is the shooter ready?...stand by...beep.

The main problem with asking that question is it should be a yes or no answer. But instead, 99% of time if you ask if the shooter understands the course of fire...

they will recite the shooting scenario to you. With 20+ people on the posse that really slows things down.

...which is exactly why asking that question is no longer recommended as SOP for the T/O.

Ref: RO1 p.8 (Expediter)

and RO1 p.12 (Range Commands)

R.O. Failure; it is always Safety first. A brass shagger on the line is not safe if the range has not been cleared, accidents happen and even though they are "cowboy loads," we are using real ammo. Additionally while the shooter did have a "brain Fart" they also stopped due to a safety issue.

Reshoot

Everybody takes a breath and says "safety first"

A quite word with eager beaver about self awareness safety.

Remember it is just a game, if we have to be so competitive that we need to not give the shooter the benefit of a "maybe" call or issue then perhaps we are doing it wrong!

VIVA LE SPIRIT OF THE GAME!

I'd say reshoot, but did the RO ask the shooter if he understood the course of fire, I see alot more RO's not asking that before they hit the buzzer...

As I recall, the recommendation to ask if shooter understands the course of fire was deleted several years ago

Yup, the way my RO II instructor explained it, "Shooter ready?" covers it.

One of my pet peeves...

When I am called up from the loading table, this is now my time to stage my guns, take a last look at the targets from the shooting position and ready myself at the line.

Please don't intrude on those tasks asking me if I am ready.

I will tell you when I am ready by stating "Shooter ready"

(that's also why EVERY stage should have a line or action for the shooters that forget to simply tell the timer they are ready)

Creeker, understood and noted. Please forgive me if I ever forget. :D

The clubs I shoot most often rarely have lines (Kinda wish they did more often) and most TOs will wait until the shooter has settled in the starting position before asking 'shooter ready?'

Grizz

Creeker, understood and noted. Please forgive me if I ever forget. :D

Grizz

Dave, I surely wish that I was better at this whole written word thing as phrasing that works in person just comes off as jerky when typed out.

It is not my intention, but often sounds like it.

I would happily shoot with you ANYTIME - ANYWHERE.

And I am sure, you are allowing the shooter plenty of time to settle in before asking "Shooter Ready".

My peeve is more the TO's that begin asking the nano second your long guns have hit the table.

Not a problem, I took your comments as just information and attached no feeling one way or the other to them.

One thing I am learning as I get to shoot places other than my normal clubs, is different folks approach the game differently. Some folks you can joke with while they are shooting, some you need to give space to while they are at their cart getting ready to shoot. Neither is right or wrong, just different. I just try to not interfere with folks enjoying the game the way they like to enjoy it. Don't always succeed at that, but I do try LOL.

Archived