SASS Wire Forum

some spotters....

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

Jefro has the right of it...

I can say "me too!" to being burned by new spotters. Both times it was when I was shooting cap n' ball with my .36 calibers. That's a light ball, behind a big bang! Since I shoot slow enough, I had RO's tell me that I nailed the target dead center, but 2 spotters gave me misses. These were at state matches, so I wasn't real happy with the calls, but there's not a whole lot I could do about it. I sure wish an RO could overrule a spotter <sigh!>

But, having learned my lesson, I switched from ball to conicals, almost double the weight of the projectile. I figuered a louder 'clang" might help. But on dead targets... oh well, not a whole lot I can do there.

:huh:

(fillin' the air wif smoke)

Duc

Duc,

My C&B are 36s too. I've not had a problem with spotters. Could be because I only shoot the Plainsman Side match with them and those folks are usually veteran shooters/spotters.

However, the last time I shot them (our regional) I hit every pistol KD and not one went down. :( Luckily, we got to make up with the SG. :)

Regards,

AM

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was not the last gun Sis. -_- I have no problem with the TO alerting the shooter to the condition on the way to the table but this rubbed me the wrong way. I have filed it away for future reference.

Brother Fillmore

Fillmore, did the shooter recieve a MSV, if not she should have, wether or not the TO flicked out the round. Allie was 100% right! ;)))

BTW iffn Allie rubbed you the wrong way with that, maybe yu ought to develope some thicker skin...just saying.... :mellow:

allie, I did read yours first, :P wrong I must admit, :o but sheesh, dunt yu luv me anymore? :blush:

Cheyenne

I was at the same shoot last weekend. I had a fine time, the weather was great. I guess I would have taken the day more seriously if I had only known they were giving away a new Cadillac! Just sayin'...

:FlagAm:

South Platte

Fillmore, did the shooter recieve a MSV, if not she should have, wether or not the TO flicked out the round. Allie was 100% right! ;)))

BTW iffn Allie rubbed you the wrong way with that, maybe yu ought to develope some thicker skin...just saying.... :mellow:

allie, I did read yours first, :P wrong I must admit, :o but sheesh, dunt yu luv me anymore? :blush:

Cheyenne

I have no fear of rubbing Miss Allie the wrong way or vice versa. :P

Fillmore

Yea, some spotters have NO CLUE when it comes to BP shooters!!!

When I TO for a BP shooter (especially if I don't know them), I always ask what direction, if any, they want from me.

Yelling "Down" or "Again" can be match savers for BP shooters on the shotgun.

This past weekend I was shooting at a match, when this happent,

I was shooting FCGF and hauling tha mail so to speak, shot the stage well and as I wazza headed for the unloading table i heard some converstion with a 6 in it,,,hmmm methinks wats up? spotter 1 says clean, spotter 2 says i think he may have missed one, spotter 3 says 6! yes SIX!!!

Ended up clean, but goodness,,,,6!

has this happent tu yu?

cheyenne

I noticed that spotters that hug each other,( sittin side by side), jarring away, then when needed to make a call, are always in unison, even when they don't pay attention. Also you know when they are sitting, many times their vision is obscured by the shooter or TO. Probable the only spotter making the correct call is the 1 standing and follwing the shooter. So the call is 2(incorrect) and 1 true spotter. TOs should get spotters to stand and follow, and have spotters spread apart to catch and see the targets and shooter. Seeing more and more spotters relegated to chairs and pairing up. MT

Speaking of distracted spotters. Guilty here! I try to not let it happen at annuals. However, it has at monthlies. If you didn't see a miss, you can't call a miss. So, in theory, a distracted spotter works to the advantage of the current shooter and disadvantage of all the others. So, it is still a bad thing.

I will try to do better. :blush:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Speaking of distracted spotters. Guilty here! I try to not let it happen at annuals. However, it has at monthlies. If you didn't see a miss, you can't call a miss. So, in theory, a distracted spotter works to the advantage of the current shooter and disadvantage of all the others. So, it is still a bad thing.

I will try to do better. :blush:

Regards,

Allie Mo

You can spot for me anytime. ;)

Look! A squirrel!!! :P

I noticed that spotters that hug each other,( sittin side by side), jarring away, then when needed to make a call, are always in unison, even when they don't pay attention. Also you know when they are sitting, many times their vision is obscured by the shooter or TO. Probable the only spotter making the correct call is the 1 standing and follwing the shooter. So the call is 2(incorrect) and 1 true spotter. TOs should get spotters to stand and follow, and have spotters spread apart to catch and see the targets and shooter. Seeing more and more spotters relegated to chairs and pairing up. MT

This is a great ideer. Let's make a rule that spotters have to stand up the whole match. That way I don't have to get "volunteered" to spot. See at small clubs with small posses some HAVE to spot just because someone has to do it. I hate spotting. Too much pressure. It is the hardest job. Takes too much concentration. I'd rather be day dreaming and kibbitzing until time to do me brass shaggin' thang. But around here where we sometimes only have enuff shooters for one small posse sometimes you don't have the luxury of just goofin' off and shaggin'. While ye are waiting to shag you are "automatically" spotting dern it.

So YEAH let's make it a rule All spotters have to stand ALL the time. That way I can beg off from spottin'. See I have several medical conditions that won't let me stand very long so I sit on my stump buddy cooler and spot and then jump up and shag brass and sit back down. Works well. I think I have a better view of the targets as the standers. I dislike spotting but I try to be conscientious about it and do my best. I see as many edgers as anyone.

But I ain't doin' it standin' and don't need to.

I shoot FC 100% with full loads of 2F in 44-40. We have one man who is the nicest person you would want to meet but I feel terrible when I see he is spotting for me. I see the bullet hit the target and he calls a miss or two on most stages. I have even seen new spotters who respect him look at his count and then hold up two fingers. Shooting BP is the hardest in the sport and then you have people with Bias for a reason only known by them.

This past weekend I was shooting at a match, when this happent,

Howdy Cheyenne.... I had a Posse at Mason Dixon NE Regional.... They were the best Posse I have shot with in some time.... always working..... Spotters on the job and always agreed on their calls. I could get used to that. ^_^ Deacon

Howdy Cheyenne.... I had a Posse at Mason Dixon NE Regional.... They were the best Posse I have shot with in some time.... always working..... Spotters on the job and always agreed on their calls. I could get used to that. ^_^ Deacon

Sounds like the posse I was lucky enough to be on a couple of weeks ago at the Nevada State Championship. LOVE being on posses like that. :wub:

Archived