SASS Wire Forum

Ya win some ya lose some

Well, our legislative year is over and we have some new stupid laws in California, but it could have been worse:

Governor Brown (Moonbeam) signed the following bills into law...

First the 'WE lose':

AB144: OPEN CARRY in CA is now BANNED starting Jan 1 2012

AB809: Long gun registration will now be required starting in 2012. This is nothing more than a way for the state to increase their revenues since now they can charge DROS fees...

SB819: DROS fees can now be placed in the general fund and not restricted JUST to running the DROS fee program. It was over funded for years, this is just a way for the state to get the $$ for other programs. An increase in the fees should follow.

Now the WE win:

SB610: Reform of the CCW process was signed. The state will mandate common standards for all CCW permits in the state. It should make it a bit easier to get them now as this will eliminate some cities and counties from denying ALL permits.

SB427: This bill would have redefined ammunition and would have required sellers to record ID on almost all ammo sales. It would have paved the way for more easily prohibiting ammo by changing the definition of armor piercing ammo to include almost all ammo. It would have outlawed internet and mail order sales, and would have required ammo sellers to obtain licenses to sell ammo and get permission to sell ammo. He VETOED this bill.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

bump... I guess I was too early postin' this....

JJJ-D

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the ccw bill but I shudder to think what the common standards might turn out to be. Good luck.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the ccw bill but I shudder to think what the common standards might turn out to be. Good luck.

Exactly..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Well, our legislative year is over and we have some new stupid laws in California, but it could have been worse:

Governor Brown (Moonbeam) signed the following bills into law...

First the 'WE lose':

AB144: OPEN CARRY in CA is now BANNED starting Jan 1 2012

AB809: Long gun registration will now be required starting in 2012. This is nothing more than a way for the state to increase their revenues since now they can charge DROS fees...

SB819: DROS fees can now be placed in the general fund and not restricted JUST to running the DROS fee program. It was over funded for years, this is just a way for the state to get the $$ for other programs. An increase in the fees should follow.

Now the WE win:

SB610: Reform of the CCW process was signed. The state will mandate common standards for all CCW permits in the state. It should make it a bit easier to get them now as this will eliminate some cities and counties from denying ALL permits.

SB427: This bill would have redefined ammunition and would have required sellers to record ID on almost all ammo sales. It would have paved the way for more easily prohibiting ammo by changing the definition of armor piercing ammo to include almost all ammo. It would have outlawed internet and mail order sales, and would have required ammo sellers to obtain licenses to sell ammo and get permission to sell ammo. He VETOED this bill.

JJJ-D

I don't know how you folks out there on the left coast do it. I could not live there with all the silly rules and regs. At least you got a couple breaks.

Here is the SB 610 Full Text

In part:

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. Section 26165 of the Penal Code is amended to read:

26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for

issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course

acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16 hours,

and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law

regarding the permissible use of a firearm.

(B) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the licensing authority may

require a community college course certified by the Commission on

Peace Officer Standards and Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours,

but only if required uniformly of all license applicants without

exception.

Note that even though subdivision (a) says training not to exceed 16 hours, the "licensing authority"(Lord High Sheriff in most cases) can require that the POST class be taken. And many community colleges don't offer it, or only offer it every other year.

Note also:

SEC. 2. Section 26190 of the Penal Code is amended to read:

(f) (1) If psychological testing on the initial application is

required by the licensing authority, the license applicant shall be

referred to a licensed psychologist used by the licensing authority

for the psychological testing of its own employees. The applicant may

be charged for the actual cost of the testing in an amount not to

exceed one hundred fifty dollars ($150).

(2) Additional psychological testing of an applicant seeking

license renewal shall be required only if there is compelling

evidence to indicate that a test is necessary. The cost to the

applicant for this additional testing shall not exceed one hundred

fifty dollars ($150).

(g) Except as authorized pursuant to this section, no requirement,

charge, assessment, fee, or condition that requires the payment of

any additional funds by the applicant, or requires the applicant to

obtain liability insurance, may be imposed by any licensing authority

as a condition of the application for a license.

By the time you take the class, and you know that in the coastal urban areas the POST class will be required, take the test, pay all the various fees, you are talking at least 500 bucks. Just to have the privilege of exercising a civil right.

Folks, this is why some of us argue so strongly against state mandated training. I'm not saying that I like the idea of someone who got all they know about guns from watching Alec Baldwin in "Hunt for Red October" or "The Matrix" going in, buying a gun, loading it, sticking it in his pocket,and going out into the world. But I would rather that than the State telling Utah Bob, or Allie, or Gunner, or anyone else here, that they need to take 24 hours of training and see a pshrink before they are deemed safe to carry a gun.

Beauford, we do what we can. We write and call the capons, we try to educate the general public. We cope.

I was just a kid when I lived out there (CA), so I don't know anything about the CCW laws, but that is MUCH more strict than here in Arkansas. BTW, "Hunt for Red October" is one of my favorites! We just take a 6 hour class and do a little shooting at the range. Plus fingerprinting and a background check first time. License is good for 5 years. Then we just go back to the range and "requalify".

Cash

I was just a kid when I lived out there (CA), so I don't know anything about the CCW laws, but that is MUCH more strict than here in Arkansas. BTW, "Hunt for Red October" is one of my favorites! We just take a 6 hour class and do a little shooting at the range. Plus fingerprinting and a background check first time. License is good for 5 years. Then we just go back to the range and "requalify".

Cash

What is really bad is the CA effectively has 59 sets of gun laws. One for the State and one set for each county. A rifle that isn't banned by the state AWB, may get you arrested and prosecuted in one county but not in another. One sheriff might hand out CCWs with little problem, but go one county over and none are issued. A third county might only give them to 'important people' like Sean Penn or Don Perata.

So, I moved from MO to CA to be told "you win some you lose some" ... heck I knew that.. lol.. I have a track record at the losin part.. lol.. So, I moved to CA so when I retire and move to A Z i can say " I won!!!!!!!!!!!!"... lol

Archived