SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Shooting Schools

Captain Bill Burt

Capt Bill, have you checked out my web site? http://www.jspublications.net Lots of stuff there to help you out. And nothing for sale.

Wow! Tons of good stuff there. Some things that I am currently doing well were verified there and some things I need to change as well. I made the mistake you pointed out of putting my dry fire targets in a straight row and not moving them around, that will change today.

I discovered at a match yesterday that I need to be more mentally tough, I averaged 19.20 through the first three stages, (was feeling great) had a semi squib on stage four and fell apart on the next two stages, levering out a live round and missing a pistol target. I couldn't get the squib out of my mind! :blink: I have read With Winning in Mind several times, any other tips for mental prep?

I will be spending some time working my way through your website, I think for today I will try your pull 4 for a double SG technique (hope my hands are big enough).

What Dirt Said! But, if you have an IPhone, or a small video camera, you can learn a lot by filming them and then looking at their runs over and over, and then slowing them down. The memory is a funny thing and you may not catch all the little things they are doing the first time around.

Learning anything is a journey of self-discovery. What works for them may not work for you but it will give you a stating point. Look at everything to start with and narrow it down.

Good Luck.

Another thing I think is helpful is to have someone video you at practice or a match. Most of the time when you watch it you'll see several things to work on.

Also I think I got a lot from the Dooley Gang at the US Open as well and would like to do a full fledged course with them.

Randy

• 4 months later...

Thanks Dave!

I've been to about 27 matches now and with the help of some really good shooters made some progress, but I want to get my times consistently in the teens. I'm wondering if a shooting school can help me get there, or if the answer is more matches or perhaps more one on one instruction, or all of the above.

For example I learned at the Ambush at Cavern Cove that I'm pretty weak when it comes to staging and retrieving long guns vertically. That soft spot cost me quite a few seconds. Now I wonder what other unknown unknowns await. It's hard to practice for things you don't know exist.

If you have any stages in the teens, you need to be teaching not learning.

Way back when I started cowboy action shooting, I went to Evil Roy's school held just before Winter Range. Great school. He was helped by a couple of top shooters and Holly Terror, plus his wife. Later when my wife started shooting, she attended the Evil Roy class in California held just before EOT there. I also attended for a refresher. Both classes were excellent. Evil Roy hasn't lost his skills, just look at his finishes at Winter Range, first in Wild Bunch and first in his main match category.

I took the Evil Roy shooting school several years ago, well worth every penny. He came to our club on the east coast just for our class, we had enough shooters signed up for two classes in four days. Get together with some other shooters and try to have one of the many fine shooting schools come to your club, the one on one is great. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I highly recommend T Bones classes. He has been workin with me for a while and the improvement has been great. And believe me I had and still do have a long way to go. The Bad Lands folks are great. Just watch out for the stick...

If you have any stages in the teens, you need to be teaching not learning.

Lately I've been hitting maybe one 10/10/4 stage per match in the very high teens. Around here that doesn't even get you a first place Wrangler, and no way does it get you a first place overall. There are always two or three cowboys who average in the teens at the top of the score sheet! :blink:

At least all of them are very willing to help us slowpokes. :blush:

If you get the chance Half-a-hand Henri and Dastardly Dirty Dan run a very good school. They used to call it their finishing school...

Henri still calls it that. She'll be teaching it at Green Mountain Mayhem, the week before Memorial Day.

+1 on watching yourself on video. I'm not a really fast shooter, but I know what one looks like. When someone recorded one of my runs and played it back to me, I immediately noticed a couple of things. The first is that I'm a good looking dude :lol: . No seriously, I noticed that my rifle looks pretty good, my pistols are OK (not fast but not killing me either), but my shotgun reloads are horrendously slow. I've known that my reloads aren't very fast, but it is painful to watch. I certainly know what I need to work on if I can ever find some time to practice.

Archived