SASS Wire Forum

Old Winchester Question

Ricochet Roy, SASS #71853

Howdy Pards,

Yesterday a Pard stopped by my shop to show off an old Winchester rifle that he recently came into. This rifle appears to be a single shot high wall "thickside" chambered for 22 Short only. The Patent date reads Oct, 7th 79, and the SN is 34051 which I believe it was made in 1884? It has a crescent style butt plate just like a 73. This rifle is in incredible condition and has never been refinished, it has the typical plumm patina. It has a heavy oct. barrel. I wish I had a photo to share. I think this rifle is a Hotchkiss? I would love to own this rifle just because it is so cool, but it is not for sale. I love old Winchesters. Anyhow and just for fun, any info y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ricochet Roy

Its a model 1885 manufactured in 1889. Its the first John Browning design sold to Winchester. Very nice rifle. Check the bore, it is rare to have a rimfire with a good bore. The old 22s were highly corrosive. If it is in fact a thick side, it would be rare in 22 short. The 1885 has the most variation of all Winchesters and the largest number of calibers.

Its a model 1885 manufactured in 1889. Its the first John Browning design sold to Winchester. Very nice rifle. Check the bore, it is rare to have a rimfire with a good bore. The old 22s were highly corrosive. If it is in fact a thick side, it would be rare in 22 short. The 1885 has the most variation of all Winchesters and the largest number of calibers.

Many thanks Pard.

Roy

Remember, it is chambered for Black Powder .22 short, not smokeless .22 short.

Archived