SASS Wire Forum

Rules concerning leather gear

Phiren Smoke GUNFIGHTER

I have a good pard that is gifted in leather working. He has been making his shotgun slides with rifle cartridge loops sewn on the shotgun shell loops.

He called me a few days after the US Open and asked if I knew anything about some one being called for illegal equipment for such a set up. Since then I have read on the wire that someone was called on it at WR.

I have searched the shooters handbook and RO 1 manual and can only find the rule on SG slides over SG loops. I believe his concern is for all the slides he has made over the years causing problems for shooters using them.

If you have any particulars on either call please feel free to post here or PM me. Also if there is a rule I am overlooking please let me know where to find it, or is the SG slide over SG loops now being interpreted to mean any ammo on SG loops?

Thanks in advance,

Smoke

The applicable equipment rules are on page 11 of the SHB.

Any "questionable" equipment (i.e. NOT clearly approved under the current rules) SHOULD be presented to the Range Operations Committee for review BEFORE hitting the range (or sales market).

It would be most helpful to send photos or a prototype rather than relying on a written or verbal description.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you asking if a bullet loop on the outside of a shotgun loop is allowable? I know you can't have a bullet IN a shotgun loop with shells. The rules say shotgun loops must be in a single row. I can't find anything written that says you CAN have other ammo in a "double row", so I would guess that it is not legal.

I asked the question on another post if it was legal to have something INSIDE your shirt pocket that holds reloads upright, but never got a straight answer. I assume it is like the rule for pouches, and must be loose. I like mine on the side of my shotgun belt, but have seen them all over the place. Good luck!!

The applicable equipment rules are on page 11 of the SHB.

Any "questionable" equipment (i.e. NOT clearly approved under the current rules) SHOULD be presented to the Range Operations Committee for review BEFORE hitting the range (or sales market).

It would be most helpful to send photos or a prototype rather than relying on a written or verbal description.

PWB,

Sorry I have not replied sooner, I had some chores to attend to. I am not very computer savy but will try to round up some help and get a pic to you.

I am not making an argument for this design just giving a little background and clarification. He has been making slides on this design long before the RO Committee existed and never have heard of a problem until just recently. It started out with one, two or three rifle cartridge loops sewn onto the front of a double SG loop and has evolved into 8 to 10 or 12 rifle cartridge loops sewn across the front of four or five double SG loops (or 8 to 10 single SG loops). If this design is ruled illegal I am sure he will work within the rules to develop a legal, functional design.

As I said earlier I believe his main concern is will the slides that are already out there cause problems for shooters, and what needs to be done to bring the old ones into compliance.

I would still be interested in details of the two calls I mentioned in my first post. Please no opinions or conjecture. As Joe Friday said...."Just the facts".

Thanks again,

Smoke

Archived