SASS Wire Forum

Thanks Moonbeam!

Swifty Morgan

I think it is just his daily sunny existance.. lol

Hmmm...either the "Dream Act" which I know he signed earlier today. Or the Open Carry Ban (AB 144) which I'm not sure of yet.

The first one gripes me the most. <_<

Several weeks ago he signed a bill "allowing" privately funded scholarships for "undocumenteds..." Okay, so what? Big Fuzzy Ducks... no law required to let folks give away their money - as long as it's not the taxpayers!

Then comes the "other shoe..." now the STATE can give away the taxpayer's money to these folks. Two arguments that are presented are 1) "they can ONLY receive 'leftover' funds after all other scholarships, grants and the like have been awarded to citizens and "legal" residents... and 2) gee, it's not the "undocumented" student's fault that their parents brought 'em here illegally...

But here's the deal: there will be a LOT of funds "left over," as many, MANY deserving citizens and legal residents who could really use the assistance just don't qualify. My son, a university student, doesn't qualify... he works five nights a week tossing pizzas, and I work full-time, and we cut every corner we can to fund his schooling. I have friends who have two college kids... both parents work two jobs each, and the kids work part-time jobs, just to make ends meet and keep the kids in school. Don't "qualify" for financial aide, 'cuz they "make too much money." O Bother.

And on the second part... the "not the kid's fault their parents brought 'em here..." Well dang, it's not MY fault either, nor my kid's, but WE now get to pay for 'em?

Thanks, moonbean (never capitalize "moonbeam")

Several weeks ago he signed a bill "allowing" privately funded scholarships for "undocumenteds..." Okay, so what? Big Fuzzy Ducks... no law required to let folks give away their money - as long as it's not the taxpayers!

Then comes the "other shoe..." now the STATE can give away the taxpayer's money to these folks. Two arguments that are presented are 1) "they can ONLY receive 'leftover' funds after all other scholarships, grants and the like have been awarded to citizens and "legal" residents... and 2) gee, it's not the "undocumented" student's fault that their parents brought 'em here illegally...

But here's the deal: there will be a LOT of funds "left over," as many, MANY deserving citizens and legal residents who could really use the assistance just don't qualify. My son, a university student, doesn't qualify... he works five nights a week tossing pizzas, and I work full-time, and we cut every corner we can to fund his schooling. I have friends who have two college kids... both parents work two jobs each, and the kids work part-time jobs, just to make ends meet and keep the kids in school. Don't "qualify" for financial aide, 'cuz they "make too much money." O Bother.

And on the second part... the "not the kid's fault their parents brought 'em here..." Well dang, it's not MY fault either, nor my kid's, but WE now get to pay for 'em?

There is no such thing as "leftover funds." And I agree with you about so many legal residents not qualifying. Back in the day I just barely missed qualifying for state funds for college, and I knew a bunch of others in the same boat. But first call on any "leftovers" should go to US citizens from out of state. And if we are going to charge those here illegally CA citizen rates, then we should also charge US citizens those same lower rates instead of the high rates students from out of state pay now.

The "it's not their fault" is just feel-good clap-trap.

There is no such thing as "leftover funds." And I agree with you about so many legal residents not qualifying. Back in the day I just barely missed qualifying for state funds for college, and I knew a bunch of others in the same boat. But first call on any "leftovers" should go to US citizens from out of state. And if we are going to charge those here illegally CA citizen rates, then we should also charge US citizens those same lower rates instead of the high rates students from out of state pay now.

The "it's not their fault" is just feel-good clap-trap.

It surely doesn't make ME feel good.

Yeah... I just can't understand the logic that states that an American student from out-of-state has to pay significantly higher fees... but "undocumented" students from another country don't.

And a president of a state university was quoted as saying that they'll give admission precedence to students from other states over "local" applicants for that reason - higher revenue.

I do fear that our system is, if not broke, then seriously bent. :(

+ 1 and then some.......

How in the h e double hockey sticks can we change our status to illegal???

Subsidized housing, EBT cards, WIC, free health care, handouts by the hundreds and we can work for cash under the table!

I am one pissed off cowboy!

Hey folks,

Look at it this way. Moonbeam is is just moving funds around a little bit. He won't need to dip into the account the taxpayers provide for elections. He doesn't have to spend so much of his money either on getting re-elected now, cause all the "Illegals" and thier kids will vote for him now. :angry:

P.S.

AND WHAT THE -UCK HAPPENED TO THE AMERICAN DREAM?

WORK HARD, STUDY, DO THE RIGHT THING AND YOUR LIFE AND YOUR KIDS LIFE WILL BE MUCH BETTER!

MOONBEAMERS ARE TURNING THIS COUNTRY INTO A NIGHTMARE. :angry:

rant off. :huh:

FYI. I'm so happy I don't live in California anymore!

Major Payne :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Sacramento Bee

The latest on California politics and government

October 10, 2011

Jerry Brown signs bills restricting rifles, 'open carry' of guns

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation criminalizing openly carrying an unloaded handgun in public and requiring the state to keep records of rifle sales, as it currently does for handguns, Brown announced this morning.

The open-carry ban, Assembly Bill 144, by Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-La Cañada-Flintridge, pitted law enforcement groups against gun rights advocates. The legislation targeted the "open carry" movement, in which people displayed firearms in public places to protest gun-control laws.

The measure exempts peace officers, military gatherings, gun shows and hunting.

Assembly Bill 809, by Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles, requires the state to keep records of rifle sales starting in January 2014.

"Since the state already retains handgun purchaser information, I see no reason why the state should not also retain information pertaining to the sales of long guns," Brown, a Democrat, said in a signing statement.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence praised Brown's signings, notably the open carry bill. "By prohibiting the open carry of guns, we can now take our families to the park or out to eat without the worry of getting shot by some untrained, unscreened, self-appointed vigilante," said Dallas Stout, president of the group's California chapter.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/10/jerry-brown-signs-bills-restricting-rifles-open-carry-of-guns.html#ixzz1aPISNKnU

About AB144, it may be a blessing in disguise for the civil rights advocates. One of the points raised over and over by the powerful and well financed anti-civil rights lobby used against making CA a shall issue state is that CA allowed open carry, even though the gun had to be unloaded.

Now, with so many areas being in effect 'no issue' this amounts to a de facto ban on all carry for the vast majority of Californians. If played correctly, this may help at least take it out of the hands of the counties and help make CA a shall issue state.

By prohibiting the open carry of guns, we can now take our families to the park or out to eat without the worry of getting shot by some untrained, unscreened, self-appointed vigilante

And this has happened where? :blink:

Yup, now all you have to worry about is the untrained, unscreened, self-appointed, CRIMINALS!

These people drive me nutz. <_<

The measure exempts peace officers, military gatherings, gun shows and hunting.

...and shooting competitions?? :unsure:

Well, our California glass is certainly half to a quarter full. Jerry Brown signed the long gun registration, DROS funds transfer, and the open carry ban bills into effect. However, he approved the desired CCW simplification bill, and vetoed the extremely onerous ammo registration bill.

Open Carry Ban is the most worrisome of the bills that passed. Some early wording could have made it a felony to walk from your house to separate garage with an uncased firearm. Impact of firearms used in competitions and reenactment events remains to be seen.

Happy: No. Relieved: Yes. In Kali, things could have always have been worse.

We'll see 'em in court.

Despite the weather in Ohio in the winter we have all the freedom you want for carrying, buying and selling etc. Looks like Florida for the winter is lookin real good. Their gun laws are as liberal as Ohio's. Too bad about Cal. it is such a beautiful state but WOW, how do ya'll put up with all the liberal anti gun crap???In fact all the liberal crap period??:blink: Rye

Despite the weather in Ohio in the winter we have all the freedom you want for carrying, buying and selling etc. Looks like Florida for the winter is lookin real good. Their gun laws are as liberal as Ohio's. Too bad about Cal. it is such a beautiful state but WOW, how do ya'll put up with all the liberal anti gun crap???In fact all the liberal crap period??:blink: Rye

Rye, I'm a fifth generation Californian. This state is in my blood. It's a state worth fighting for.

Unfortunately, the fight may be nearing an end. I've seen the state go from Governor Reagan to Governor Moonbeam. The unholy alliance of the liberal elite, government unions, indigent, and illegals is now just too powerful. They're driving the productive out. What happens when there aren't enough Makers to support the the Takers? I hope to be in another state before I find out.

Rye, I'm a fifth generation Californian. This state is in my blood. It's a state worth fighting for.

Unfortunately, the fight may be nearing an end. I've seen the state go from Governor Reagan to Governor Moonbeam. The unholy alliance of the liberal elite, government unions, indigent, and illegals is now just too powerful. They're driving the productive out. What happens when there aren't enough Makers to support the the Takers? I hope to be in another state before I find out.

That's too bad Uno, 5 gens of your family there and yer being pushed out by liberal wackos! Hope ya find a gun friendly state close by, Az, Nevada, New Mexico??? If ya don't mind a few months of terrible winters you could always move to Ohio. You can own anything ya want here! AR's, AK'S, 30 rd. mags, Concealed carry (SHALL issue) etc. Rye

Thanks for the well wishes, Rye.

Remember: Cali doesn't have the patent on stupidity. I'd urge everyone in a free state to watch their state legislatures like a hawk. The union, indigent, and illegal trioka can grow until it overwhelms. Limit the size and scope of the government before it can attract too many dependent voters.

Okay.. CA has more than its share of over the top gun haters. But AZ has inherited a lot of them now too. CA liberals love Jerome, they have a cryxtal worship palace there, and Red Rocks attracted them too.. they love Sedona and the Vortex... Prescott, a place I love has the downtown section being bought up by some crystal CA peopel too..

A lot of it is a misunderstanding of firearms. Joining the NRA, being active in working with local NRA groups helps educated people around you. Here in Ca you can help out with the Scouts and show them cowboy shooting, you can help out too by keeping track of score etc with ROTC groups on weekends.. What a better gun free America.. put in some free hours.. I work full time and still find time to be front and center when i can to promote fire arms in the state of CA. To promote our sport if I can. Now I am just a chick.. imagine how much more you guys could all do.... It doesn't take a lot of time, it just takes being there, smiling, helping out and working with people so they understand how good guns are ...

Archived