SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun hunting loads

I gave up hunting years ago, but I have an interest in it and a Grandson that still hunts.

My question is:

I know that steel shot is not good on a full choke barrel. But what about some of the other shot like copper plated lead, chrome plated lead, bismuth, and other non toxic pellets?

Can you use a modified choke or do you need to open it even more to a IC or skeet?

Not talking about slugs here. Just #2 to #7 1/2 shot.

Also, what about wear on the barrel with the various shots?

Generally speaking, if your gun has interchangeable choke tubes, use the next more open choke for steel than you would for lead. Of course, steel shot is not recommended for use in vintage doubles such as Parker Bros. and others from that era. -- GIT

Thanks fellows. I have an 11-78 made in the 1980s. It has choke tubes and I own the full, modified, IC and skeet. I wonder if the steel shot wears on the barrel, choke tube or both? I would guess the tube gets the most wear because it restricts the pattern, but I suppose the barrel gets it's fair share.

The choke constricts the opening...full the most, imp/skeet the least (besides no choke at all). Lead shot is generally fairly soft, with steel the hardest. When it reached the choke, the shot usually compresses some, none with steel. Thus the more open chokes needed with steel shot.

I have a Browning Superposed O/U 3" mag duck gun that was my Dad's He shot some steel in it right after steel was put on the market. There is a bulge in the top (full choke)barrel right before the choke(constriction) starts. A graphic emample of what steel shot will do. Made a really expensive shotgun worth a lot less :blink:

Archived