SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy Short Stroke Kit?

Buckshot McAllister

Thanks for asking the question, Buckshot. I have the same gun but wasn't going to ask due to the stigma attached to this rifle round these parts.

Pardon my ignorance, Diamond Fred, but does it take a cowboy gunsmith to do the right work on a weapon used for CAS or can a highly skilled gunsmith who doesn't specialize in CAS firearms do just as good of a job?

Thanks for asking the question, Buckshot. I have the same gun but wasn't going to ask due to the stigma attached to this rifle round these parts.

Pardon my ignorance, Diamond Fred, but does it take a cowboy gunsmith to do the right work on a weapon used for CAS or can a highly skilled gunsmith who doesn't specialize in CAS firearms do just as good of a job?

Think most of us tend to use some of our good Cowboy Smiths because they already know what we are trying to get out of our guns. And what it takes to get them there.

A lot of good gunsmiths have not heard of short stroke rifles. Short stroke pisols. Or what it would take to get them there.

A lot of times. It just saves time and money. To have someone that already knows how to do some of these things.

Besides. Why not support your own kind. Cowboy shooters supporting Cowboy shooting gun smiths.

Did'nt the company send one of there Big Boys to a well known Cowboy Smith to see if they could turn it into a

good CAS rifle??? Seems I remember hearing that. But never did hear how it turned out.

I'm all for supporting the cowboy community. That fits in with my way of thinkin' to a T. But if there aren't any who'll work on the BB, I'd have no choice if I needed to get the work done.

The BB existed for me before I chose to look into CAS so it's what I have to work with (for now). I'll have fun no matter how slow it is. And since Buckshot lives in the same town I do, I believe I won't be the only one shooting the same Henry :D

In the end, you might be able to improve it some, maybe a lot, but who knows? The stigma was well-earned, not so much by the rifle itself (though at least some of em are pretty clunky) but by the way the company went about introducing it, the politics involved, etc. That left some folks with a bad taste. Perhaps in part because of that stigma, deserved or not, I suspect at least some smiths don't wanna be identified with it, so they more or less make believe it doesn't exist. I wouldn't want to invest much time in figuring out how to make it sing (even assuming that's possible) because there are NOT oodles of cowboys shooting em, and those that are seem to accept the slow and clunky nature of the piece, so they might not wanna pay what it would cost to make it better.

Good luck.

They've got short stroke Marlins now, and from what I've heard, the Henry BB is similar to a Marlin action. So I wouldn't say it's impossible. Just think, you could have HBBSS#1. :)

Pulp Yup,the Marlin was copied for the Mossberg lever rifle and then modified into you guessed it the Henry Big Boy.

Maybe someone like Spur or doing the Spur conversion could possibly short stroke a BB,my best guess it isn't gonna be cheap.

Speaking of the HBB I have now in the last six years seen two of them make a entire ten stage match without major function problems,so it can happen. Adios Sgt. Jake

Not real sure why you would need to SS it.

Every BB I have seen. And those that I tried. Most shooter could out run the rifle as it was.

Put a SS on it, and you would really over run it.

But that is just my opinion. I love there .22. Those are great little guns.

I had a pair of New Model Ruger Vaqueros at a well known gunsmith having them converted from 357 to 38-40. I asked to him slick them up also. His response was that they are already pretty slick.

This was the second time I had a experience similar to this.

Best to have our competition guns worked on by some one who knows what we need in a tuned gun.

Had a few experiences with gunsmiths who had never shot competition guns, back when I first started. I had a Rossi '92 I needed worked on. Never could get it made "race ready", by any of them. Mostly it was money wasted.

Have your gun worked on by someone who understands what a slick CAS gun feels like. Contact enough "cowboy" gunsmiths. There's a lot of them. Someone will be willing to make it run as fast as it is capable of running.

Shoot safe,

Duc

I have one of those bb and I have had no trouble out of it so far and it can go just as fast as you can ! I say just practice with it till you get fast!

I have one of those bb and I have had no trouble out of it so far and it can go just as fast as you can ! I say just practice with it till you get fast!

Ya want to bet on that????

Have tried a few and out ran them pretty easy.

If you can run it for 10 shots, in 4-6 seconds. 3 times in a row without problems. Let me know and lets see it on tape.

And that 4-6 seconds is NOT winning many speed rifle comps around here. Ya really got to be faster

than that.

If the inner workings are close to Marlins, I wonder if Widder's "widdermattic" angle feed mod could be done to the carrier ? Sure makes the marlins smooth, that could be what gets the BB going....

Archived