SASS Wire Forum

- - - So . . ya wanta get "really worried" . . ?

The world is possibly facing the worst economic crisis in history, the governor of the Bank of England said Thursday.

Sir Mervyn King was speaking after the decision by the Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee to put £75billion of newly created money into the economy in a desperate effort to stave off a new credit crisis and a UK recession, the Daily Telegraph reported.

“This is the most serious financial crisis we’ve seen, at least since the 1930s, if not ever. We’re having to deal with very unusual circumstances, but to act calmly to this and to do the right thing.”

“The world economy has slowed, America has slowed, China has slowed, and of course particularly the European economy has slowed,” he said. “The world has changed and so has the right policy response.”

Quote from "News Max"

The world is possibly facing the worst economic crisis in history, the governor of the Bank of England said Thursday.

Sir Mervyn King was speaking after the decision by the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee to put £75billion of newly created money into the economy in a desperate effort to stave off a new credit crisis and a UK recession, the Daily Telegraph reported.

"This is the most serious financial crisis we've seen, at least since the 1930s, if not ever. We're having to deal with very unusual circumstances, but to act calmly to this and to do the right thing."

"The world economy has slowed, America has slowed, China has slowed, and of course particularly the European economy has slowed," he said. "The world has changed and so has the right policy response."

Quote from "News Max"

What are you drinking? Geesh.. you need to take up scotch on the rocks to clear your pain.. lol... Honestly... My father was born in 1919 and he remembers the great depression and this is nothing like it at all. The whole reason is there is still money in the hands of the majority. As for the future, I dunno. My dad says we can not get into bed with Red china and ever expect to have a good standard of living in our nation. We can not expect our people to work at jobs only in services or in construction.. we need mfg.. but that is my dad. He thinks Chinas plan is to ruin the free world...

Me, I think it will be what it will be and there is little I can do to stop it.. except keep shooting, keep expecting things to be better, and keep close to family and frirnds and know we will all make it because we are all Americans.

People during the great depression jumped out of windows, some gave their homes to up for the cost of taxes alone just so they could move on. We do not have a perfect life. But Americans know what they want. If if our government can't get on the right path to making us a great nation again I expect a revolt to toss out the idiots....

What are you drinking? Geesh.. you need to take up scotch on the rocks to clear your pain.. lol... Honestly... My father was born in 1919 and he remembers the great depression and this is nothing like it at all. The whole reason is there is still money in the hands of the majority. As for the future, I dunno. My dad says we can not get into bed with Red china and ever expect to have a good standard of living in our nation. We can not expect our people to work at jobs only in services or in construction.. we need mfg.. but that is my dad. He thinks Chinas plan is to ruin the free world...

Me, I think it will be what it will be and there is little I can do to stop it.. except keep shooting, keep expecting things to be better, and keep close to family and frirnds and know we will all make it because we are all Americans.

People during the great depression jumped out of windows, some gave their homes to up for the cost of taxes alone just so they could move on. We do not have a perfect life. But Americans know what they want. If if our government can't get on the right path to making us a great nation again I expect a revolt to toss out the idiots....

Service work jobs just moves money around in a circle they do not make more money....any construction job is and should be considered a temporary job at best.... when a project is over its over and with the illegals working cheep and/or being paid in cash then sending the money out of the country they are destroying the construction industry and squeezing good tradesmen out and preventing youngsters from learning the trades...at this rate in a few more years this country will have very few true craftsman...Obama's idea of job plan of road projects and more unemployment insurances is just a very short term bandage that will just prolong the pain by 6 month to a year...if that long...if you are not building something were the end result houses new jobs then you are not building a future you a just spinning your wheels ....we need to start building things here at home to sale here and around the world. If we continue the way we are going with Obama's jobs plan of taking away from the doers and giving it to the don't-ers in five years we will be worst of then Mexico and other third world countries. :angry:

Service work jobs just moves money around in a circle they do not make more money....any construction job is and should be considered a temporary job at best.... when a project is over its over and with the illegals working cheep and/or being paid in cash then sending the money out of the country they are destroying the construction industry and squeezing good tradesmen out and preventing youngsters from learning the trades...at this rate in a few more years this country will have very few true craftsman...Obama's idea of job plan of road projects and more unemployment insurances is just a very short term bandage that will just prolong the pain by 6 month to a year...if that long...if you are not building something were the end result houses new jobs then you are not building a future you a just spinning your wheels ....we need to start building things here at home to sale here and around the world. If we continue the way we are going with Obama's jobs plan of taking away from the doers and giving it to the don't-ers in five years we will be worst of then Mexico and other third world countries. :angry:

Yep.... it is very bad. ... and the government ( Obama inspired ) "fixes" are making it worse and worse. :wacko::huh:-_-:o

Yep.... it is very bad. ... and the government ( Obama inspired ) "fixes" are making it worse and worse. :wacko::huh:-_-:o

History tends to repeat itself. Thanks to another meddler, FDR, the Great Depression lasted longer than needed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123353276749137485.html

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-s-Policies-Prolonged-Depression-5409.aspx

The stories about people jumping out of windows during the Great Depression are exaggerated to say the least. Although as Deja said things aren't as bad now as they were then, I would add one little word to that statement, YET. Look at the stock market, gyrating all over the place. GDP is stagnant and expected to stay that way. Good ole Uncle Sam owes trillions, with no prospect of being able to repay it, ever, short of spinning up the printing presses even more than has been done already. If that happens look for inflation like this country has never experienced before. The PIIGs over in Europe are in debt as far as the eye can see, the potential for default is in the news every day. If that happens you'll see European banks collapsing in droves. Guess who those same banks are in debt to? US banks...

Anyone happy about the current value of your home? How about your 401(k)? Guess where the people managing your retirement funds are exposed? I used to be a corporate banker with Citigroup, before that I was an economist, I still teach economics. I tell my students, the global economic and financial systems are very interconnected, think of a spiderweb, shake one section and the whole thing moves. So far we have had a buffer in the relative appeal of the US over other countries that are even worse off. The 'smart' money has been fleeing toward the only 'safe' haven available. That has kept our currency relatively strong and our interest rates relatively low. I don't see that continuing indefinitely, the house of cards is getting pretty high and it's a windy day.

I have yet to hear a political leader set forth a plan that was credible, and I personally can't think of a solution that doesn't entail considerable pain. Please vote next year, for an adult preferably.

Have a nice day :ph34r:

The real significance of my original post on this thread is that it is a public statement by The Governor of the Bank of England. :blink:

There are economists who predict much, much worse. Such as a 50% unemployment rate with drops in value of stocks and real estate of 90% each. Those predictions might be a little extreme. Or not... :blink:

As i retreat.. FOR SALE rosecolored glasses.. lol

The real significance of my original post on this thread is that it is a public statement by The Governor of the Bank of England. :blink:

There are economists who predict much, much worse. Such as a 50% unemployment rate with drops in value of stocks and real estate of 90% each. Those predictions might be a little extreme. Or not... :blink:

PS. I furgot to mention . . those same economists are predicting 100% inflation. a Kurs they might be a bit off . . . maybe only a mild 75% inflation ?

By the time you get to be Governor of the Bank of England you have become a politician, not a banker. Although I too view his remarks with concern I suspect they're at least somewhat politically motivated. The Europeans would really appreciate Obama writing them a check for a cool trillion right about now and have floated some trial balloons to that effect recently.

You mentioned 100% inflation. During the Weimar Republic the value of the mark fell from one paper mark for one gold mark to one trillion paper marks for one gold mark. Zimbabwe has experienced something similar recently. All it takes is an incompetent leader with a desire to spend beyond his means. Good thing we don't have one of those! :blink:

By the time you get to be Governor of the Bank of England you have become a politician, not a banker. Although I too view his remarks with concern I suspect they're at least somewhat politically motivated. The Europeans would really appreciate Obama writing them a check for a cool trillion right about now and have floated some trial balloons to that effect recently.

You mentioned 100% inflation. During the Weimar Republic the value of the mark fell from one paper mark for one gold mark to one trillion paper marks for one gold mark. Zimbabwe has experienced something similar recently. All it takes is an incompetent leader with a desire to spend beyond his means. Good thing we don't have one of those! :blink:

YES . . a good thing,.... :wacko:

B All it takes is an incompetent leader with a desire to spend beyond his means. :blink:

Well...it takes more than that. Unfortunately all those pieces are in place right now. :angry:

Never let a crisis go to waste ... even if you have to invent one.

More stuff from the old playbook. A good read into the mindset of today's current crop of miscreants is in Whittaker Chambers' book Witness

The people that want to destroy us haven't changed one bit.

I hear folks making 40-50 grand complaining they ain't got enough money to make ends meet. They are "poor" these days. -_-

Heck, my best year ever working in the consruction and maint. trades was $28 grand.

"Somebody told us Wall Street fell, but we were so poor we couldn't tell." Only this time jobs for the TVA ain't going to happen I'll bet.

Glad I growed up knowing how to be poor. Sure makes hard times easier on us. My family motto is "He who is content has everything." (Can't remember the Latin for it right off).

Bodine.

I hear folks making 40-50 grand complaining they ain't got enough money to make ends meet. They are "poor" these days. -_-

Heck, my best year ever working in the consruction and maint. trades was $28 grand.

"Somebody told us Wall Street fell, but we were so poor we couldn't tell." Only this time jobs for the TVA ain't going to happen I'll bet.

Glad I growed up knowing how to be poor. Sure makes hard times easier on us. My family motto is "He who is content has everything." (Can't remember the Latin for it right off).

Bodine.

My father had 7 children under his roof ... and he taught me the fine are of "doing without".... We could make a rainy day a total riot as kids. Dad gave us a task, like baling hay, and we found a way to enjoy it. I guess my rose glasses wear on some, but life is not about all the stuff. I lost about everything I had a few years back.... I could lay down and be bitter, or remember I still had my family, my friends and new friends I was going to make in life. I did learn to not love your stuff so much, or collect so much cuz people will steal it away from you ... So, I live now for the gusto of life... Always have enjoyed living, but I know having Stuff is not all that important... a bit of money in the bank yep.. so you can buy food..

My father had 7 children under his roof ... and he taught me the fine are of "doing without".... We could make a rainy day a total riot as kids. Dad gave us a task, like baling hay, and we found a way to enjoy it. I guess my rose glasses wear on some, but life is not about all the stuff. I lost about everything I had a few years back.... I could lay down and be bitter, or remember I still had my family, my friends and new friends I was going to make in life. I did learn to not love your stuff so much, or collect so much cuz people will steal it away from you ... So, I live now for the gusto of life... Always have enjoyed living, but I know having Stuff is not all that important... a bit of money in the bank yep.. so you can buy food..

And ammo, guns.

And ammo, guns.

A girl who plans.. lol... So very true..

But Americans know what they want. If if our government can't get on the right path to making us a great nation again I expect a revolt to toss out the idiots....

Well Deja Vous! Your words have iron in them for a fact. And I agree!

Already in my neighborhood, has been for as long as I've been here.

"Bo, will you fix the head on my combine, I ain't got no money but I'll give you a quarter of beef next round at the sluaghterhouse." sort of thing.

"Bo, would you be interested in wirng up my barn, I ain't got much money but I'll give you a hog buthcered abd delivered." sort of thing.

"Bo, Can I get you to string the wire on my fence, I ain't got much money but..." ;)

Makes life wonderful around here.

I've lost my arse and started over more times than anyone I've ever known. Afdter awhile ya just get used to not having much and not expecting much.

Prepared for the worst and expecting no less makes the good things that come along even better. Some call it cynicism, I calls it reality.

Bodine

will someone trade me a loaf a bread for my ruger 22? that kind of thing?

more like 1 or 2 22 rounds for a loaf..... a 10-22 should be at least a goat or pig -_-

Hot dang, that gives me an idear.

Utah Bob's Bartertown!

:lol:

Take me awhile to build that dome thingy though.

Well Deja Vous! Your words have iron in them for a fact. And I agree!

Thanks so much.. .I really do believe in my fellow man.. maybe cuz I hang out with a bunch of Cowboys.. lol

will someone trade me a loaf a bread for my ruger 22? that kind of thing?

WEll, I will what kinda bread do I have to bake.. and what is your Ruger.. lolll I love Rugers..

Utah Bob's Bartertown!

"Two men enter, one man leaves!" ;)

We'll all pitch in Bob, it won't take as long as ya think. I wanna be the guy that spins the wheel though. Or maybe the guy that checks the guns? Or I could just peddle radio-active water...

Bo

Utah Bob's Bartertown!

Utahs.. Thingy are my dept.. I would be willing to help out.. lol...

Already in my neighborhood, has been for as long as I've been here.

"Bo, will you fix the head on my combine, I ain't got no money but I'll give you a quarter of beef next round at the sluaghterhouse." sort of thing.

"Bo, would you be interested in wirng up my barn, I ain't got much money but I'll give you a hog buthcered abd delivered." sort of thing.

"Bo, Can I get you to string the wire on my fence, I ain't got much money but..." ;)

Makes life wonderful around here.

I've lost my arse and started over more times than anyone I've ever known. Afdter awhile ya just get used to not having much and not expecting much.

Prepared for the worst and expecting no less makes the good things that come along even better. Some call it cynicism, I calls it reality.

Bodine

Hot dang, Bo!!

You and I must live in the same neighborhood!!

I've tried for years to come up with a graceful way of tellin' how it is here in Misery......But you hit the nail on the head!

Now.....I'll be off the Colorado soon......Hope I can do a bit better there!

Easy trails to ya, Bo. BTW, How's yer ticker doin'? Hope ya got 'er all straightened out!

~EE Taft~

Hot dang, Bo!!

You and I must live in the same neighborhood!!

I've tried for years to come up with a graceful way of tellin' how it is here in Misery......But you hit the nail on the head!

Now.....I'll be off the Colorado soon......Hope I can do a bit better there!

Easy trails to ya, Bo. BTW, How's yer ticker doin'? Hope ya got 'er all straightened out!

~EE Taft~

Got clean ticket on my ticker. Nuthin wrong there. Said it was a severe case of acid reflux attack, can feel and appear just like a heart attack. The catheter incision leaked and gave me a heck of a scare, swelled up and sent blood coursing down my thigh inside, looked and felt like I'd been kicked by a horse for about a week, but mostly all healed up now.

Best of luck to you in Colorado. Missourah will be a lesser place without you, but Colorado will be all the more better for it.

Bodine

Got clean ticket on my ticker. Nuthin wrong there. Said it was a severe case of acid reflux attack, can feel and appear just like a heart attack. The catheter incision leaked and gave me a heck of a scare, swelled up and sent blood coursing down my thigh inside, looked and felt like I'd been kicked by a horse for about a week, but mostly all healed up now.

Best of luck to you in Colorado. Missourah will be a lesser place without you, but Colorado will be all the more better for it.

Bodine

Good to hear your doing well, Pard.

Take things easy here in Mo. If I can ever find a place out there I'll be gone!

~EE Taft~

Archived