SASS Wire Forum

Scoped rifle sized shipping box = any ideas?

Grizzly Dave

Only rifle box I have was from my Marlin and it's too small. Would the UPS store have a box that would work, or am I destined to hack up a bunch of smaller boxes to make one franken-box that is the size I need?

Bad Hand has the right idea! I'd check out Wally World

for about $20.00 you have a very durable container for your

rifle.

Happy trails

QDG

Hmmm, I guess if push came to shove, I have an inexpensive hard case I'd be willing to part with, but no box, I could just tape the crap out of that, tape a shipping label to it and go.

Kinda obvious what's inside at that point, not that a gun sized box masks it much...

Only rifle box I have was from my Marlin and it's too small. Would the UPS store have a box that would work, or am I destined to hack up a bunch of smaller boxes to make one franken-box that is the size I need?

If you have a music store go in and see if they have a guitar box

Take the Scope off the rifle and wrap it up real good, ship in same box. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Grizz

On the gun case box , I have always cut them down one corner and turned them in side out . Depending on whom it is shipping through , I would probley pack it in a plastic gun case , put into the box as done above , then ship ,Asking the person to ship my case back or adding enough to the price to cover the cost of the case .

Be sure it will not slide around much , cover the end of the bbl , I use 1 1/2 in sch 40 pvc , stuffed with newspaper to protect the crown and sights . The tighter it is packed , the less chance of damage .

EVEN well packed I have seen them broken by the shippers , insure well , just in case .

CB

I am of the school of thought that says remove the action from the stock and wrap both with good padding and bubble wrap and then tape them firmly together before boxing up. Broken stocks happen as do broken scopes. For more expensive guns I have built 3/8 plywood and 1x boxes held together with drywall screws for shipping.

Disassembled the box can be shorter which will save you shipping costs as well.

after a few bad (broken stocks etc) bad exp with my C&R collecting when I started more than 10 years ago (with UPS USPS and FED X all three delivered broken guns) I went to using inexpensive gun cases from places like this

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?pagesize=1000&sort=priceHigh&catid=1000

and if I was the seller I would discuss the options with the buyer and either send it insured by the carrier of his choice well packed in cardboard with the buyer accepting all risk or they could buy a case and have it sent to me and I would pack the gun in it rebox it in the box it came in and send it off and I would pay the insurance he only the shipping on the carrier of his choice.

If I was buying I would do the same selecting a less expensive case (you can get OK hard side cases for less than $30) and send it for the seller to use If I had extra cases after doing some buying I would offer them at ABOUT 40% off what I spent for them and most folks would go for that option

doing this I never again had a problem with any shipping damage

I dont do C&R selling and buying anymore but if I got back into it I would again do it this way

Well, if your really pushing you could always go to home depot and see if they have an

empty water heater box. If they do just cut it to fit what you need....

Just being helpful, I think..... :blink::wacko::blush::rolleyes::D;):blush::rolleyes::blink: I sure hope your laughing pard...

QDG

I was tempted to make my own franken-box, but at my third stop this afternoon, they had a box that would work with only a little cutting and taping to make it shorter. The plastic hard case fit snugly in it, I taped the crap out of it and it's now on it's way to it's destination.

Just an FYI, hard cases, at least the cheap plastic ones no longer come in individual boxes, the come bundled together with shrink wrap.

Oh, another FYI, the UPS store had a ski box and a snow board box that could have been modified to work, but heck if I was going to spend $18 on a hunk of cardboard.

The key is finding a store worker either bored enough, or helpful enough to actually go look in the back and find you a box that will work.

Thanks for all the input.

Grizz

I go to Ace hardware and get an empty flourecent (sp) light box.Then modify that to the right size.They are sturdy as needed to be for shipping breakable light tubes.

That was actually on my list of things to try. The box from a shop light might also work, though not be quite as sturdy.

Archived