SASS Wire Forum

how to replace Ruger hammer?

Go West

Howdy

Go to this link.

Link

Then press the button that says Ruger Tech Tips.

Scroll down to the videos for disassembling and assembling the single action revolvers. They are very good. He shows you exactly what tools you need. But don't expect to do it as quickly and easily as he does, it takes a little bit of practice to get the hammer/pawl assembly and the trigger/transfer bar in place correctly. Also, take note of the tips about lining the spring plungers for the pawl and the cylinder stop correctly. Easy to screw up that part.

The manual that came with the gun also has a very good step by step description about taking your Ruger apart. If you lost it Ruger will send you one for free, or you can download it from the website.

Use screwdrivers that fit. That old Stanley you got at the hardware store 10 years ago will bugger the heads.

Take note of which screw came out of which hole. They are not all the same length.

Put a piece of tape over the frame pins before removing the screws. They may fall out on their own, leaving you with a table full of parts. Working from the diagrams is nice, but I find it's easier to put something back together if I saw how it was assembled to begin with.

Make sure the pin in the hammer moves freely. Chasing the hole out with a drill spun between your fingertips doesn't hurt and can clear up a burr or debris problem.

On re-assembly, a strip of scotch tape over the spring & plunger assemblies (there are two) will keep them in place until you get the gripframe back on. Once everything lines up, just pull the tape clear.

The leaf spring that tensions the loading gate can be a little tricky. I've been able to push it down and to click into place through the slot in the frame.

Give all moving parts a liberal bath with Eezox. It's like an action job in a can.

Took me 6 minutes to watch the Ruger videos on youtube.

Took me 1.5 hours from taking out the first screw to putting the last screw back in.

And that was just the first gun.

The second gun took only half an hour.

It really takes 15 fingers to put them back together efficiently. Alas, I was only given 10 at birth.:lol:

You have to have a lot of patience., but you WILL enjoy those hammers :excl:

Ride easy,

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Took me 6 minutes to watch the Ruger videos on youtube.

Took me 1.5 hours from taking out the first screw to putting the last screw back in.

And that was just the first gun.

The second gun took only half an hour.

I did mention that it takes a bit of practice to do it quickly, didn't I? Doesn't everything?

I have found the easiest way is to pay somebody else :lol:

I know good advise is hard to come by. Your welcome in advance :lol:

Happy Smithing

first go ahead and call Longhunter and order extra main springs, one of mine is still under the freezer. call ruger and order a new plunger and spring for you pistol, I smashed mine, getting the hammer in was easy, all the rest was very interesting, I tried to replace two at same time. I finally got one revolver together and took the ohter to my gunsmith that replaced the plunger and spring..my friends suggest I throw away my screwdrivers, my gunnsmith wants to give me a DREMEL tool so I can help him payoff his house...Irish Pat sass19486

first go ahead and call Longhunter and order extra main springs, one of mine is still under the freezer. call ruger and order a new plunger and spring for you pistol, I smashed mine, getting the hammer in was easy, all the rest was very interesting, I tried to replace two at same time. I finally got one revolver together and took the ohter to my gunsmith that replaced the plunger and spring..my friends suggest I throw away my screwdrivers, my gunnsmith wants to give me a DREMEL tool so I can help him payoff his house...Irish Pat sass19486

Now that is fuuuuuuuuny! :lol::lol::lol: Thanks for making my day "IP"

HH

Archived