SASS Wire Forum

Snow Already

Subdeacon Joe

I grew up in Florida and never saw snow. Then I joined the Army and they sent me to the alpine wonderland of southern Germany. One day I was handed a pair of snowshoes. I assumed we were going to play tennis.

I was wrong. :blink:

As fast as I could get to the Rockies; as soon as I was able; under the dun of constant bickering from the kitchen I grasped the handles of the snowblower with glee for almost 35 years. It was a mission to clear the road, the patio, the hot tub, the driveway and all the parking; clear the access to the hay stack and keep a 2track clear to the pasture gate. It was a mission to live where I could smell the skiing, dream of elk and mule deer and bows and arrows; wear a cowboy hat everday.

Not this year though; the Huntsman Senior Games are over and today I'm continuing my long goodbye to the Rockies for a winter in the Texas Hill Country. I had fun here. Maybe a Gold medal in Classic Cowboy and already a Bronze for Traditional Wild Bunch. The Dixie Desperados did a heck of a job putting on arguably one of the most mentally challenging matches that I've shot in some time. Poppers, flyers, "BRAT" sweep? (1,3,2,3,1 repeat).

Now I just wish that I had signed up for Bordertown. But, in the packing of "it all" into storage, truck and trailer it just seemed like anymore planning would pop my head like a Brat Sweep. Besides, the TX State Wild Bunch, Green Mountain annual, Comin At Cha are just a few more miles away.

The dusting in the distance on Zion Nat'l Park made for cowboy mornings at the Washington Shooting park here in St George (Washington) UT. I hope that I don't miss the big views too much. I'll miss the sweet burn of winter in my nostrils on those cold and clear mornings; the heft of the Jump and Carry and first shot of ether to get that big JD diesel fired up at 10 below.

It's been nice just south of the north coast here. Trees are starting to turn, and my small ones have been dropping leaves already. The Washingtom Hawthorne is almost bare. outdoor concert today at a local church event.

I Did, however, start the sno-blower this week. Gotta keep it ready for what I know is coming this winter :blush:

I grew up in Florida and never saw snow. Then I joined the Army and they sent me to the alpine wonderland of southern Germany. One day I was handed a pair of snowshoes. I assumed we were going to play tennis.

I was wrong. :blink:

Ah yes, Bob. But do you not miss that warm August fragrance of the farmlands on the side of the alpine hills? Maybe Bad Tolz was not a FRAGRANT as Gersthofen.

Ah yes, Bob. But do you not miss that warm August fragrance of the farmlands on the side of the alpine hills? Maybe Bad Tolz was not a FRAGRANT as Gersthofen.

Our DZ was very fragrant at times. :rolleyes:

Archived