SASS Wire Forum

Square Holes

Good concept. I'd be interested in knowing how precise the cut is with all that movement.

Other than to receive carriage bolts....the need for square holes is???????

LL

Well, there ARE a lot of homeless carriage bolts lying around in hardware stores all over the

country. Like Bob, I question the tolerances on that cut, what with all the wobble in the spindle.

Looks like Badger and his drill press at work.

There are also several other cutting devices that will make a square hole. Alas, most of them require more than a Bridgeport to operate. But some will hold a much tighter +/-.

One thing I did notices though, no rounded edges on the cut. Pretty flat.

Well, there ARE a lot of homeless carriage bolts lying around in hardware stores all over the

country. Like Bob, I question the tolerances on that cut, what with all the wobble in the spindle.

Looks like Badger and his drill press at work.

There are also several other cutting devices that will make a square hole. Alas, most of them require more than a Bridgeport to operate. But some will hold a much tighter +/-.

One thing I did notices though, no rounded edges on the cut. Pretty flat.

I'm suspicious of any precision tool whose operation is based upon eccentric movement...still can't get used to Wankle engines...

LL

Other than to receive carriage bolts....the need for square holes is???????

LL

To wham round pegs into.

The head movement, if it's CNC, would be pretty accurate depending on the type of spindle bearings. But from what I see, if you need to drill a round hole first, you might as well use a broaching tool.

BMC, there are a lot of homeless carriage bolts around, but sometimes square holes are also used in machinery because what fits in the hole can't be allowed to rotate.

There's lot's of ways to make square holes in metal, EDM, wire EDM (for thru holes), laser and water jet just to mention a few.....

That is just great. . . . Now there is need . . to stimulate the economey . . . lets apply for a half billion dollar grant to create the factory to manufacture the square bolts and the threaded square hole nuts to work the the threads of the square bolts. We can spend the half billion on the factory and the glass walled conference room with that glass that darkens on sunny days . . . like that solar energy company did that went belly within less than a year of their half billion dollar government loand. How much of a half billion can we siphon off ? .... :blink::huh::o

... maybe we'll need lots of guns for the cowboy shooters that provide the security for our high tech factory ? ... ;)

Broaching a square hole is a giant pain. I have machined many square and hex holes for various uses. There are several ways they can be cut and do not always require a CNC (Computerized Numerical Control) machine. On the machine in the video, or atleast ones similar, use the rotation of the spindle to rotate a cam-like piece that holds the cutter that runs in a guide that creates the tool movement. If you go to Youtube and search for "drilling a square hole" you can find a video of someone drilling a square hole on a manual lathe using a "floating" tool holder in a tailstock and a guide attached to the part being machine. Anyone who says you can't put a square peg in a round hole, has never met a skilled machinist.

Slim

"Machinists, making engineers look good for over a century."

As a tool manufacturer I think it's cool - my friend sent me the same video. I can see some applications for that in composite and graphite applications as well.

Your friend wouldn't be a Dan McCloskey would it?

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Not much into metalwork myself. Guess I'll stick with a mortising bit to drill square holes in wooden wheel hubs and such.

Salud,

eGG

Archived