SASS Wire Forum

SHOTGUN, point or aim?

Jacknife

What's the best way to shoot the shotgun targets, approach the targets and take a rifle-like aim at them, or just slam the shootgun to your shoulder and touch the trigger as the barrel points at the target?

Jacknife, based on another thread, I think you and I learned to use a shotgun the same way...mount the gun, watch the bird, swing and shoot.

My main CAS double does not have a bead. I could not "aim" if I wanted to. And I don't want to.

Howdy

Didn't we have this discussion the other day? The targets ain't moving. There is no swinging involved. I take the exact same stance I do with my rifle. I see the sights on my rifle and I see the bead on my shotgun. I place the front sight or the bead, whichever, in the middle of the target and I pull the trigger. Same thing with my pistols. Why would you treat the shotgun any different than the rifle or pistols? The targets ain't moving.

I think ye might better aim some. Eva time.

RRR

RR, when I start missing shotgun targets, I will. I promise!!

SHOTGUN, point or aim?

Point. Firearms shooting a single projectile are aimed for obvious reasons. Shot guns with a cone shaped spread of multiple projectiles are pointed

Edit: There are those that are very accurate 'point shooting' a revolver or rifle also.

Believe one will find that persons who have shot shotguns for many years will point at the target. The converse, they will aim at the target

It's what one is most comfortable with knowing that the stationary targets will go down. Pop ups? One best point the shotgun for better accuracy

Believe one will find that persons who have shot shotguns for many years will point at the target. The converse, they will aim at the target

It's what one is most comfortable with knowing that the stationary targets will go down. Pop ups? One best point the shotgun for better accuracy

I have been shooting shotguns since about 1965 when I first shot Trap with my Dad. On the Trap field I point and swing. Because the targets are moving fast. On a CAS stage I treat it no different than my rifle because the targets are not moving. If you think you can't miss with a shotgun in CAS because of the fact that there are a few hundred pellets going down range, guess again. I wish I had a nickel for every knock down shotgun target that I have seen not go down when shooters don't aim.

I have to aim all my guns.

Why do combat shotguns have sights?

Same reason they have oversize safeties, combat closers, extended mag tubes, folding stocks and all that other junk. TO SELLLLLLLLLLL.

Generally, if you don't aim... You will miss.

And I "Aim" at when shooting moving targets as well.

Not sure where the idea came from, that precision is somehow less important when the target is moving. It aint so.

Last entry...

I really don't care if you aim your shotgun.

I don't understand why it should bother anyone if I don't aim mine.

Do what works for you and shoot well, Pards.

I think ye might better aim some. Eva time.

RRR

What I'm sayin is ye dern well better do some sorta aimin! After alot of shootin it happens without linein up anything hell they ain't nuttin on tha back of mine ta line up. However if I do well in a match its cause I aimed every blame shot. Even sliphammerin at 3 yds or sliphammerin at 9 yds wid tha pistols. Ye dern well better pay attn ta what your doin.

If you'd like that translated talk to me in person~

RRR

I constantly swap from a SxS, '97 and '87. I have to aim due to the differences in these guns.

If I could practice alot and stick with one scattergun I met feel better about pointing.

If the shotgun fits, point.

If it doesn't, better take an aim.

That is POINTEDLY the best answer that has been written about this subject. If you can't point it then you better aim to fix the stock fit or you're pointing cockeyed unless you aim it.

It definitely matters on poppers and fliers.

I'll bet there's not a single shooter on the SASS WAHR that has patterned their shotgun. And I'll bet there are just as few that HAVEN'T shot their rifle and pistols to POA.

I aim at stationary targets especially knockdowns. I point at flying stuff with both eyes open as I sweep by the way it is traveling and try to match the perceived speed of flight. I see the bead, so I guess it is kinda both. I rarely miss at clay birds flying away from me.

I also learned as a boy to shoot high to let the shot fall on target at far away doves to toast them. My eyesight used to be so good I could see them flying towards me in the heat waves before anyone else did. At 40 poof! Bifocals.

That is my story. I am sticking to it.

Shameless

If you look at the bead on a crossing target you'll almost always miss it. Not so bad on a straight away target but as the angle (and lead) increases what happens is that the gun speed stops relative to the speed of the target, therefore causing a miss behind even though it looks like you're shooting way ahead.

I'll bet there's not a single shooter on the SASS WAHR that has patterned their shotgun. And I'll bet there are just as few that HAVEN'T shot their rifle and pistols to POA.

You'd lose that bet, Brother King... Least, I'm assuming I'm on the SASS Wahr.

If you look at the bead on a crossing target you'll almost always miss it. Not so bad on a straight away target but as the angle (and lead) increases what happens is that the gun speed stops relative to the speed of the target, therefore causing a miss behind even though it looks like you're shooting way ahead.

I have a box full of old ATA patches and I was always taught to watch the bead(s) on my moving targets.

If the beads aint a figure 8 - don't pull the trigger.

We can have a manhood measuring contest if you want, Creeker. I won the National Sporting Skins in '97. If you see the lead you lose. Get the barrel in front of the bird and when your cheek hits the stock pull the trigger. If your gun fits and you focus on the leading edge of the target then it breaks.

Dang, I was gona put down which technique I use but I'm afraid somebody will now convince me I been doing it all wrong and I'll have to start shooting more correct in order for all those KD's to fall better (faster).

Actually, I mostly point BUT, I must have my cheek on the stock to ensure successfuly hits.

I rarely focus on that front bead.

Even if I take time to put that bead on the target, ifn that SG ain't properly positioned on my shoulder/cheek, I shoot high.

Thats just me.

..........Widder

We can have a manhood measuring contest if you want, Creeker. I won the National Sporting Skins in '97. If you see the lead you lose. Get the barrel in front of the bird and when your cheek hits the stock pull the trigger. If your gun fits and you focus on the leading edge of the target then it breaks.

I have a box full of old ATA patches and I was always taught to watch the bead(s) on my moving targets.

If the beads aint a figure 8 - don't pull the trigger.

Am I on the wrong forum? Did this somehow become the Trap and Skeet Forum? I thought we were talking about Cowboy shooting, and if I am not mistaken, most of the targets don't move. You don't have to swing and you don't have to lead. We are not shooting at birds (yes, I know what a clay bird is) They are mostly big square pieces of steel that don't move at all. Maybe the occasional clay target is thrown straight up, but for the most part, the targets don't move. So why all this discussion about the best way to hit a clay pigeon traveling at 30 mph?

It's just a big square target. I place the bead on the target and pull the trigger. What else is there to say?

I'm just amazed at how fast folks like Red River Ray and Deuce Stevens can pick up the second and subsequent targets! My eyes can't move that fast. Yeah, I'm shooting black powder and most times the smoke obscures the targets, but on my best day, with a stiff breeze blowing the smoke away, I just can't seem to move that fast.

Of course, if I put thousands of shotgun rounds downrange in practice like they do, I might maybe get a little faster...

Duc

Once I have gone through all 10 rounds on my belt for a four shotgun KD stage, I throw the damn gun at any remaining targets. I carefully AIM my throw.

We can have a manhood measuring contest if you want, Creeker.

Brother King,

How could I trust your measurements? You don't want to measure to where the target is, but where you hope it will be in the future. :lol:

It's a joke.

Apparently we have both been pretty successful behind the stock of a shotgun and will continue to be. All a matter of style.

Think the biggest issue with shotguns may be mounting too low causing one to shoot high.

Thinking if you are seeing a lot of rib you are wrong.

I try to remember to get the gun high enough I see the whole bead, but not the flat rib, if that makes sense.

Put the bead low center on target.

That is POINTEDLY the best answer that has been written about this subject. If you can't point it then you better aim to fix the stock fit or you're pointing cockeyed unless you aim it.

It definitely matters on poppers and fliers.

I'll take that bet. I patterned as part of load development for my 1901. What did I win? :P :P

Archived