SASS Wire Forum

Taurus 24/7 Pistols

Been looking to upgrade my carry options and the Taurus 24/7 series has caught my eye.

They have the features I consider important: high capacity; manual safety / decocker; ergonomic grip.

The big question, of course, is reliability.

The other possible option is the 800 series, which is basically the 24/7 with an exposed hammer vs. the striker-fired action.

Any pards have one, and what are your experiences and opinions?

Thanx in advance.

I bought one of the first 24/7's about 6-7 years ago.

It was in .45 acp, so I figured it might take awhile to "break-in".

Even after shooting 500 rounds of all kinds of ammo cheap to top-line,

It was a JAM-O-Matic!

Hopefully they have worked out the problem, but I sold mine after 6 months.

I used to be a firm backer of Taurus guns...all of them.I have a Taurus 9mm I bought in the 80's and it still works flawlessly.Still like the revolvers,but the quality of the semi's have dropped quite a bit.I won't recommend them to my customers mainly because of a friend of mine.He works in a gun store that does a lot of business.He told me he sends back more Taurus semi's than any other make.Not so with the wheel guns though.

I have a Millenium Pro (similar but not the same as 24 7 ) in .45 ACP. Been totally reliable and it's my favorite CCW gun. Based on what I've read, not personal bad experiences, I would suggest if you buy a Taurus, just shoot the heck out of it until you are sure you have a reliable weapon that you are comfortable with.

Bucky (who owns several different Taurus firearms and am happy with them - 'cept maybe that Thunderbolt )

I worked at a gun store for about five years. We had more Taurus guns returned than all of the other brands combined. Some of the guns were returned 3,4 and 5 times before being fixed correctly or being replaced by the factory. I would not bet my life on a Taurus.

Cap'n, I'll right up front and say I've never owned a Taurus. One of my sons has one and he seems to like it. I found the following link today that you might find interesting. It's from another forum, but the question was asked, "What is the worst handgun you ever owned?" The Taurus was mentioned several times. You might want to browse through this a bit before you buy.

Worst handgun you ever owned.

Been looking to upgrade my carry options and the Taurus 24/7 series has caught my eye.

Taurus is an upgrade?? What on God's Green Earth are you carrying now, a bent spoon?

OK, all kidding aside, I send back as many Taurus revolvers for warranty service as all other brands combined that we sell. On the other hand, I can only recall one single auto I've sent back, and that was for a problem with the front sight and had nothing at all to do with function of the pistol.

I send back as many Taurus revolvers for warranty service as all other brands combined that we sell. On the other hand, I can only recall one single auto I've sent back, and that was for a problem with the front sight and had nothing at all to do with function of the pistol.

I have read that the revolvers were, shall we say, problematic at best. Everything I've read about their autos has been pretty favorable.

I recently picked up a PT92, and I'm rather pleased with it. It's just a bit large for concealed carry.

I did have to give it a good bath before shooting it. Taurus uses a lot of gun gravy when their pistols leave the factory.

Spray cleaner, air compressor, and Eezox and it runs great.

My wife owns a Taurus M-85 .38 that she has not had any problems with. Keep in mind bad news, whether true or not, travels fast on the Internet and takes a life of it own. It is easy to find threads bashing Rugers and S&W's. You might find this website interesting;

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php

Archived