SASS Wire Forum

Howdy From a Gonna Be

Butcher Brinkworth

Howdy, all!

I'm busy learning all I can about SASS and CAS and wanted to say thanks for all of the information y'all have posted here over the ages. When I started looking here I was thinking about, "which guns to I get," etc but found all of the answers I needed. What I learned was...go to a match. As luck would have it, I had contacted the President of a local CAS club here in CO a few weeks ago and he invited me to come out to their next match (that was actually a couple of weeks ago and I had to miss it so I'm going to the next one at the end of October). So that part is taken care of.

BTW...the name I chose here is the one I'll be using for my SASS alias (I checked and it doesn't appear to be taken). My great great grandfather emigrated to the US from England in the mid-1800s and eventually settled in the Deadwood territory. He was a butcher in Deadwood and his surname was Brinkworth. So...Butcher Brinkworth :) It sounds like a bad guy cowboy name but it's actually an occupational title. I wonder if it'll scare my competition LOL

Thanks, y'all for bein' here. I hope to catch up with some of the Colorado crowd at future matches.

Cheers <- Butcher Brinkworth was from England after all ;)

John

Welcome to the fire Butcher!

Here's a few links for ya...

Pawnee Station is my favorite club, and is just north of Fort Collins.

Sand Creek Raiders is out East near Byers.

Colorado Cowboys are in Lake George, west of Colorado springs a ways.

And there are a bunch of others!

My youtube channel has a bunch of videos from Pawnee Station and also Boulder.

Have fun!

Grizz

Howdy Butcher

Welcome to the fire. Get on to that first match. You will have a blast. Me and Old Top always bring extra gear for new pards and most of these folks do the same. We don't want you to stand there and watch. We want ya to join in and have fun.

We have been shooting for about 5-6 years and our personas are in constant flux, and I have at least 2 one being a scout.

Check my web page and you will see several matches, lots of guns and a bunch of different pards and gear.

keep us posted on yer progress.

curley

Welcome, amigo!

Those are probably the closest clubs to you. At the Colorado Cowboys we are just crazy enough to shoot all winter. Both Pawnee Station and the Sand Creek Raiders are great clubs, with fun stages and great people, too!

Looking forward to meeting you ~

el Gato Gordo

Thanks, y'all, for the warm welcome.

Grizz, my wife and I are having a great time watching the videos. She's gonna CAS it up as soon as she figgers out an alias and the videos are helping her see the fun the women folk are havin'. We're shooting to come up for the Oct. 15th match so hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you then.

Curley, I appreciate the input. My wife says I've got too many personalities already but I'm sure I'll develop one or two more for CAS :lol:

el Gato Gordo (I have several of those running around the house) - We're gonna try and get down to the M Lazy C in December. We'll be in Italy for the November match unfortunately so aren't gonna be able to make that one. I'm looking forward to getting down there as the ranch looks incredible (might just go down for a little vacation too).

GG, if y'all are any indication of what to expect from the average SASSy shooter, I've no doubt I've stumbled onto an incredible group of people.

Filly, for sure we're going to the Sand Creek Raiders match on Oct. 23rd as we have friends up here who are members of CRC and will be there (and also want to do some CAS). If things go as planned, we will also be heading up to Pawnee Station on the 15th to irritate Grizz and the other shooters :D

Thanks again for the warm Howdy, ya'll!!! Happy shootin'!!!

Cheers,

Butcher

Butcher,

I should see you at Sand Creek Raiders. I don't think that I will make Pawnee probably go to Rockvale but will also be at M Lazy C in December.

Painted Filly

Welcome to the fun, Amigo.

Capt. Baylor's Ranger Camp is a great site for new members in case no one has mentioned it.

The best thing about SASS is the people.

The guns and gear are fun too. :lol:

Holy bejeezus, boys and girls, I'm afraid to show up now. I just read some threads about the Henry Big Boy rifle. And guess which rifle I've got sitting in my cabinet and was planning to use for matches...yup...a not so shiny Henry Big Boy .357/.38. It's also the only pistol caliber rifle I have so I don't have another option. My pard who is also planning to join SASS has a .357 BB as well. Hopefully we won't be shunned :blink:

Oh...while I'm at it...my wife has a Henry .22LR rifle. Is there a class or side match in which she could use that? I didn't see one specifically mentioned in the rulebook (no, she's not 14...anymore :lol: ).

Cheers,

Butcher B.

Dont feel bad about the henry.I have been in SASS for one year now and when I first got on the wire I said something about how smooth the henry was and I thought I would get one. They said I must work for henry to say that much about them. I thought they were going to get a rope.These are the best people in the world.I am just getting my guns together now.Just got a 73 back from having it worked on.You are in for the best time of your life.I used to run a A fuel dragster at 256 MPH and I get a bigger rush shooting with my friends than I did running that dragster.Welcome and have fun and dont get in a rush to buy guns,I did and did not buy what I have now.Pit Bull Tex

Butcher -

No, there aren't too many folks using Henrys, but run what you got.

As far as the .22, Pawnee Station has a 5th Saturday match this month that has a special adult .22 category, so your wife could use it in that. When I was just getting started out all I had was a lever .22 and two .22 single action pistols, a Pawnee Station 5th Saturday match in the Adult .22 category was the first full match I ever shot, and the only time I've won my category LOL. Someone there let me use their shotgun and even gave me shells for it so I could shoot the match. This continued as I slowly bought all of the guns I needed to play the game right.

Monthly matches are often a bit more relaxed as far at non safety rules go, especially for folks just getting started. Contact the match director at clubs where you plan to shoot to see what they will allow. If you are short on guns, it's likely they'll offer to help line up some loaners for you as well.

When you sign in, let them know it's your first match, and you'll likely be assigned a mentor who will guide you through the day.

Grizz

Welcome to the fire, Butcher. Great people here. Watch out for Grizz tho. He is a gamer.

:rolleyes:

Grizz definitely a GAMER!

BB...

You will find that SASS shooters are great folks.

Welcome!

Thanks, y'all. I guess I had better work on my non-shooting skills if I'm gonna have to outwork Grizz :lol:

If nothing else, having my missus watch me lose with my slow Henry will help my cause in getting more guns. Can't say that's a bad thing. And...as long as I beat my good pard who's also joining, I'll be a step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Butcher B.

One other thing..........

I just hit all of the gun stores in and around Longmont and none of them stock cowboy loads in .38 special. I found them at Sportsman's Warehouse so I suppose I'll go there ifn I need to. I'm hoping to find a good deal on ammo at the Tanner show in Pueblo this weekend.

Aside from loading myself, which ain't happenin' anytime soon, any tips on where to find good deals on the stuff?

Cheers,

Butcher B.

When I got started I bought 1000 rounds from Cliffhanger and then started reloading. He uses only new Starline brass which is my preferred brand of brass. Reloading on a single stage takes a little time, but isn't hard and I enjoy it. When you're at the gunshows look at any packages with RCBS rock chuckers, a good way to get started in reloading.

Ten-X is another mail order type vendor that I've seen recommended before, but I have no personal experience with them.

I know there are others, but since I now reload, I don't bother keeping track of them.

One other thing..........

I just hit all of the gun stores in and around Longmont and none of them stock cowboy loads in .38 special. I found them at Sportsman's Warehouse so I suppose I'll go there ifn I need to. I'm hoping to find a good deal on ammo at the Tanner show in Pueblo this weekend.

Aside from loading myself, which ain't happenin' anytime soon, any tips on where to find good deals on the stuff?

Cheers,

Butcher B.

http://georgia-arms.com/cowboyloads-sass-1.aspx

http://www.tenxammo.com/colorado_dealers.html

http://www.tenxammo.com/files/Shooter_Direct_Pricing_05052011.pdf

Thanks, Filly. I 'spect you will be seein' me and the missus. We're really lookin' forward to it.

Grizz, I forgot to thank you for the info on the 5th Saturday Match. I told my wife about it last night and she just about shot through the roof she was so excited. Not sure we'll talk her into regular matches yet but she's for sure gonna join SASS (she's thinkin' on Calamissy Jane for an alias), dress up and be a 5th Sat. kinda gal. We's gonna have ta miss this month though because we'll be rustlin' sheep in Italy then. We'll catch it the next time though.

FWIW, I gave SASS my hard-earned money last night to become a full-fledged cowboy. I'm lookin' forward to learnin' people a thing or two about Henry rifles :lol:

Butcher, I think if she'll try .38s she'll be surprised. As I said, my first ever full match was with my .22 single sixes, after the match someone let me try their Ruger New Vaqueros in .38 special, and I really didn't notice any difference in recoil.

There are often spouses who come along to cheer on their significant other who don't shoot themselves. Sometimes they just hang out, or often they pitch in and help keep score or whatever. Seem like before long most wind up shooting too!

Filly, I'm hoping the friend who's joining with me will do that. He's expecting to get the proper gear for reloading for Christmas. I may have to haul his gear around for him to the matches but it'll be a small price to pay :D

Pardner, make sure you get a good book on the "beginning reloading" read it and read it

again. Ask question on anything you don't completely understand. If you have a chance

to watch someone who will be loading with the same equipment that would help greatly.

Look for the "FREE" booklets on cowboy loads and Reloading.

Take you time, enjoy the experience of reloading and the savings! :D

Happy trails

Quick Draw Grandpaw

Thanks, Grandpa. I went out and got a Lyman handbook for pistol and revolver and was pleased to see that they have an entire chapter (Chapter 9 in the Third Edition) dedicated to talking about Cowboy Action Shooting :D Not wanting to be a danger to myself or anyone else, I will read this over and over and over again before I attempt to load my own ammo. I've got another friend who's been reloading for a long time so will be learning from someone with good skills already.

FWIW...today I graduated from a "Gonna Be" to an "Am." My SASS badge and packet came in the mail today. I am now officially Butcher Brinkworth, SASS Member # 93378. It's a great day in Thornton!!!!!!!!!

Archived