SASS Wire Forum

Awesome Cactus Jack SASS #623

Confederate Colt

I want to take the time to say thank you......thank you to my cowboy family. My family and I have received such a blessing this week from everyone. It is going to be very difficult over the next few days as Cactus's services begin. It is though but I know it would be a whole lot thougher with out all your thoughts and prayers.

Again I just want to say thank you.

Fare thee well my friend. I know today was Cactus's viewing and tomorrow is the funeral. I wish I could be there to send my friend off. I will be there in spirit and Foxy will show the proper send off this weekend when at the Ft. White annual event, Cactus will be honored. I'll see you again brother.

Cardboard Cowboy, from Afghanistan

We did lay Cactus Jack to rest today. Many cowboys and cowgirls were present to pay their respects to Jack and his family.

Jack's passing has left a large hole in the Florida SASS community. He was a lot more than a good shooter. He was a contributor to our sport going all the way back to 2001. He and Confederate Colt initiated the first major building project at Ft. White. He volunteered to RO at The Last Stand for several years and was State Champion in black powder categories more than once. But what Jack demonstrated the best was being a great father. He and Colt were inseparable all these years. As a dad myself, I can only hope that my daughters will still travel and shoot with me when they are grown. It so happens that Cactus Jack invited me to my first cowboy match. Without his effort to encourage me to try this sport, I wouldn't have met the finest people in the world. We will miss Awesome Cactus Jack, he left some big shoes to fill.

I want to thank everyone again for their out pouring of love.

We buried Cactus this past Thursday. There we about 32 cowboys/girls that were able to make it to the funeral. And a few others that made it to the viewing.

I did shoot Ft. White's annual match on this past weekend. I shot through Friday with the RO's. I had a difficult first stage as I found myself looking for him. I am certainly going to miss him. Delta Glen and gang made sure that I was doing alright.

Me, my wife and mother went back on Saturday and watched the match. Ft. White had dedicated the match to dad and they held an rolling thunder after the match was over so we wanted to be there for that as I was asked to fire the last round. It was though on us we were glad that we went.

I seen quite a few cowboys and girls shed a tear for Jack this weekend. It was then that I truly realized how close nit of a group the cowboys really are.

Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.

Archived