SASS Wire Forum

Horse Throwing

Subdeacon Joe

Is that like throwed rolls, only bigger? lol

I have thrown horseshoes. Does that count?

Maybe this is a training exercise for the Calvary troopers. I was infantry so I know nuttin about them horse straddlers.

This might have been just before your time, BMC. The caption on the photo is:

Orchard Lake, Michigan, circa 1900. "Cavalry detachment, throwing horses. Michigan Military Academy." Detroit Publishing glass negative.

Looks like it is getting the horse down to avoid being seen.

Rolls?

Road apples?

rotfl... okay pass the rolls.. please ...

At least nobody has a Mauser! :lol:

Utahs.. you are just gun crazy.. Here we are talking about throwed horse, road apples, and tipping outhouses and cows.. and you go to guns.. lol

This is a training method been used as far back as I can remember for unruly horses. Don't use it often but it gets done once in awhile around here. In a few days I'll be riding down the road to remember my good friend Cowboy 'K' that was killed by a raunchy ol' paint. Threw him then stepped on him, crushed his chest and heart just a few minutes after I talked to him out front. 'K' was a good man and friend, but he was too soft and thought he could win that damned ol' paint over by perseverence and patience, but the horse won in the end. I tried to talk him into throwin that mean bugger several times but he wouldn't do it.

Anyhow, this will mark the fourth year since we had to say goodbye to Cowboy 'K'.

Throwin horses ain't the first choice, nor even the best choice, but once in awhile it's the only choice left before the dog-food factory.

Bodine

This is a training method been used as far back as I can remember for unruly horses. Don't use it often but it gets done once in awhile around here. In a few days I'll be riding down the road to remember my good friend Cowboy 'K' that was killed by a raunchy ol' paint. Threw him then stepped on him, crushed his chest and heart just a few minutes after I talked to him out front. 'K' was a good man and friend, but he was too soft and thought he could win that damned ol' paint over by perseverence and patience, but the horse won in the end. I tried to talk him into throwin that mean bugger several times but he wouldn't do it.

Anyhow, this will mark the fourth year since we had to say goodbye to Cowboy 'K'.

Throwin horses ain't the first choice, nor even the best choice, but once in awhile it's the only choice left before the dog-food factory.

Bodine

Oh, man horse training stories.. lol... A few years back in AZ I did a bit of that Reining and a bunch of little AQHA classes at Westworld.. Anyhow I met a lady who took on horse to train out around New River AZ.. She bragged a lot, and someone gave her a really rank colt. She took the colt out into the desert and as it moved around it got a bit close to the chollea .. lol... Well, of course in about 5 seconds the horse had 5 cactus stuck to it and as it started it second buck she was about 2 foot out of the saddle.. when she came down.. the horse was not under her... lol... I am sure she considered how to explain all of this to the owner on her walk home in her boots.. lol. She was lucky to be alive... silly kid.. lol

Utahs.. you are just gun crazy.. Here we are talking about throwed horse, road apples, and tipping outhouses and cows.. and you go to guns.. lol

I think the "Mauser" comment was referring back to a photo I posted a few days ago of some GIs in, I think it was The Netherlands. A few of them had Mausers.

You missed Joe's last group of GIs pic. here

Gun crazy? Not me.Not at all. :lol:

The first defense of a horse is flight. If you take away his legs by throwing him it teaches respect...sometimes. As someone else mentioned, it's not the best training method but may be a last chance solution.

You missed Joe's last group of GIs pic. here

Gun crazy? Not me.Not at all. :lol:

That is what I get for being away.. lol...

in my ventures of shoeing I have thrown a couple of horse, hoofs were so long I had to use a hand saw to trim'em NO JOKE.

The first defense of a horse is flight. If you take away his legs by throwing him it teaches respect...sometimes. As someone else mentioned, it's not the best training method but may be a last chance solution.

A guy I know use to train horses in AZ on Northern .... He use to use a Quick Stop on a crazy horse cuz he said if they ran out of air they would stop and think.. One year he got this 'gift" of a mustang from the reservation.. lol.... A mustang will keep going even out of air until they fall.. lol... Geesh it was a ride to watch.. lol

Just plain crazy, maybe?

Plain? My dementia is very complicated. :lol:

The cavalary taught their horses to be "thrown" as a defensive method so that the troopers could use them as cover in a fire fight.

I have riden horses on week-long mountain pack trips and enjoyed it. But in veterinary college I had to make a decision about which animals would be the focus for my practice career. I remember the morning a dead week-old foal was brought in for post-mortem exam. It's forehead was caved in where it had been kicked by its mother. I figured any animal that would do that to its own baby was not safe for me to be around. I went into pet practice.

Riding them is one thing, working on them is something else.

Wonder how the horse felt about that, Noz?

:blink:

That's what they get for being the lowest rank. ;)

Archived