SASS Wire Forum

new gun cart

Deke Robertson

I had just recently bought a new "Carried Away" gun cart. Has anyone else out there bought one? This is by far the best gun cart I have seen. This thing is very light and compact. It folds up into an old west style suit case. I am very happy with it and I am simply wondering how others are doing with it.

http://woodenworkswest.com/caawgunca.html

This is the link for the cart for those of you haven't seen it yet.

OK, I saw the prototypes today at the Mason Dixon Stampede, and they are very well made and attractive.

Fitted together like fine cabinetry, it doesn't look like something possible for a do-it-yourself project.

Just weighed the cart and the weight is actually 45 lbs. And after recently speaking to Dusty Levi's, he is working on ways to make them even lighter.

Personally, I think it is fine. My old cart weighed almost 80 lbs.

Looks interesting. It'd be even more interesting to do a formal side-by-side with the Rugged Gear 4-gun cart. I think RG would comes out ahead on price, weight and cargo space, and probably ease of handling (although that could be relative), plus there's the cover for rainy weather and the various gear-bag configurations. CA Looks to be more portable (especially with that "suitcase") and durable. The RG comes out ahead on points, although I suspect a lott of cowboys would prefer the esthetics of the CA. I know I do, but at my age and condition,esthetics don't help push a fully-loaded gun cart.

Just a thought on the side by side critique. The Carried Away Gun Cart holds 6 long guns. If you want to put in 4, put in 4, no problem. Six was chosen to provide a pard with a Wild Bunch/back-up option. The lockable storage compartment holds your 1911. It also holds enough ammo for 2 pards to do 5 stages plus you can do 6+ stages if you utilize the base. The pivot point is spot on fully loaded or not. If you do Trap and Skeet it also holds 9 boxes of 12GA in the lockable storage compartment and as mentioned more room in the base. I sling my ammo bag for spent brass on the handgrips and a soft side cooler behind the SG and rifle butts. If you shoot cap and ball the door on the lockable storage compartment is sturdy enough to load your cylinders. True there is no seat, no umbrella fixture. I wanted something compact and pleasing to the eye. Carried Away was my choice and it is working out fine. Just the view from my saddle. Deacon Henry

Archived