SASS Wire Forum

Is this legal? Wadda think?

Notso Slim, SASS #67301

Ok here is the deal. I shoot in bib overalls with right and left strong side holsters and a 6 shell shotgun slide between the buckel and the left holster. I have tried but do not care for a shotgun belt (it gets in the way of my pistols as I wear my guns higher than most, but still legal. I generally put two extra shells in my shirt pocket but the new shirts I just bought do not have a pocket on them so I have to carry the extras in bib pocket. A few weeks ago I shot a stage needing 8 shotgun an had to fish the two out of the bib pocket. Now the question, would it be SASS legal to attach a two shell leather carier to the left strap just above where it clips to the bib? It would put the shells above the belly button, but not on a belt but would be in roughtly the same place if they were in a bandoleer. I have listed below what is written in the rule book but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Ammunition required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the

shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shotshell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be

safely staged as required by stage instructions

Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must

be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement)

Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

Shotgun ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt).

thanks,

Slim

Ok here is the deal. I shoot in bib overalls with right and left strong side holsters and a 6 shell shotgun slide between the buckel and the left holster. I have tried but do not care for a shotgun belt (it gets in the way of my pistols as I wear my guns higher than most, but still legal. I generally put two extra shells in my shirt pocket but the new shirts I just bought do not have a pocket on them so I have to carry the extras in bib pocket. A few weeks ago I shot a stage needing 8 shotgun an had to fish the two out of the bib pocket. Now the question, would it be SASS legal to attach a two shell leather carier to the left strap just above where it clips to the bib? It would put the shells above the belly button, but not on a belt but would be in roughtly the same place if they were in a bandoleer. I have listed below what is written in the rule book but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Ammunition required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the

shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shotshell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be

safely staged as required by stage instructions

Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must

be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement)

Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

Shotgun ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt).

thanks,

Slim

Not legal as I read everything and look at past rulings.

Nope, don't think so, I use two shotgun shell slides one on each side of the buckle, so I have plenty. When I have my son along he gets one slide and I carry a couple extra shells in my pocket when I think I might need them.

Now the question, would it be SASS legal to attach a two shell leather carier to the left strap just above where it clips to the bib? It would put the shells above the belly button, but not on a belt but would be in roughtly the same place if they were in a bandoleer. I have listed below what is written in the rule book but I'm not sure. What do you think?

NOT legal.

The rules list the approved methods for carrying ammo for stage reloads.

Anything NOT on that list is NOT allowed (e.g. suspenders, hat bands, boots, button holes,...&tc)

The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.
RO1 p.27

"The use or presence of any outlawed item is a stage disqualification."

So, if a shooter carries a bullet in his hatband for decoration, day in and day out, he gets a stage disqualification?

"The use or presence of any outlawed item is a stage disqualification."

So, if a shooter carries a bullet in his hatband for decoration, day in and day out, he gets a stage disqualification?

No he doesn't get disqualified....He just can't use that shell for a reload. As Phantom would say Oy!

Big Jake

No he doesn't get disqualified....He just can't use that shell for a reload. As Phantom would say Oy!

Big Jake

Using Palewolf's quote from ROI Pg27 seems to point otherwise. Or maybe a better question would be, "what is the definition of "presence"?

Using Palewolf's quote from ROI Pg27 seems to point otherwise. Or maybe a better question would be, "what is the definition of "presence"?

I'm calling BR 549 and asking Junior what he says. Whatever he says ....goes. OK? Just sayin'

Big Jake

Jake, Junior is not in the office today. He and Sunshine Cornsilk went for a test drive and had a bad accident. He is laid up in the hospital for a few days, but the good thing is the fact that Sunshine is also laid up, and in the same room. One day he might learn to keep his eyes on the road.

How about if he makes a little holder to go inside his bib pocket, to keep the shells where he can get at them? It seems that they would be in a pocket, which is listed as an acceptable place. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just asking a question, it that ok??

How about if he makes a little holder to go inside his bib pocket, to keep the shells where he can get at them? It seems that they would be in a pocket, which is listed as an acceptable place. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just asking a question, it that ok??

Then what if he makes little springer thingers that attached to the bottom of the little holders in his pockets wired to a hidden cable going into his boots. Then at the right moment he can wiggle his toes and the shells would "POP" up into his reaching hand

saving him micro-seconds of having to actually grabbing the damn things out of his pocket. Yeah, that's the ticket. Just sayin'

Big(whats got his tongue firmly planted in his cheek) Jake :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. You guys are a HOOT.

Actually "use or presence" indicates yes, a round in a hatband would be a SDQ. Would anybody call it unless ya tried to use it? I dunno.

I don't know about "anybody," but "somebody" would. "Somebody" did at EOT...I believe in 2010. The round was not in a hatband, but it was where it was not supposed to be (in front of two shotgun shells.) The round was not used, but the call was made.

In my opinion, it would have been nice if "somebody" would have pointed out the infraction prior to the shooter shooting instead of right after the shooter shot. I'm betting the shooter will not make that mistake again. I have since headed off such a problem for a shooter.

I don't know about "anybody," but "somebody" would. "Somebody" did at EOT...I believe in 2010. The round was not in a hatband, but it was where it was not supposed to be (in front of two shotgun shells.) The round was not used, but the call was made.

That was at WR...NOT EoT.

In my opinion, it would have been nice if "somebody" would have pointed out the infraction prior to the shooter shooting instead of right after the shooter shot. I'm betting the shooter will not make that mistake again. I have since headed off such a problem for a shooter.

It was my understanding at the time that someone did earlier in the match.

BICBW

I'll just stick the dang things in my pocket and I assure you my pocket has no room for any auto-lauch-spring-assisted-dohickey. (there is too much me for that) Geeze. If I had known my simple little question would cause such debate about bullets, hats, and DQ's I would have never asked.

sorry,

Slim

aka TTSTM (The Two Shell Trouble Maker)

PW, I made a phone call and you are correct about it being at WR. It was at the shoot-off where the shooter had made certain all loops were full, had an extra round and stuck it where it shouldn't have been. It was pointed out after he "won" the shoot-off.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just asking a question, it that ok??

No, it's not okay. We're gonna have to hog-tie you and beat you severely about the head and throat with a horse whip or maybe even a bull whip. If all else fails, the wet noodle torture will be called into play.

:lol:

I'll just stick the dang things in my pocket and I assure you my pocket has no room for any auto-lauch-spring-assisted-dohickey. (there is too much me for that) Geeze. If I had known my simple little question would cause such debate about bullets, hats, and DQ's I would have never asked.

sorry,

Slim

aka TTSTM (The Two Shell Trouble Maker)

Hey Notso,

Since Oklahoma is close to Kansas, I guess we'll have to get you and Hondo together and make it a double hanging. How quickly can you get to Fort Smith for a visit with Judge Parker? Don't make me come after ya'll! :lol:

IMO: Question asking is how we learn and there is no reason for people to get their drawers in a wad because folks have a question. Keep on asking!

Please, no wet noodles for me!! So I guess the answer to my question is.... the shells have to be loose in the bottom of a complete pocket? I made bullet loops on my shotgun belt that I also made, and have no intention of changing anything on my rig, but someone asked me the other day about this. they also asked if they could sew a line across thier shirt pocket, so it was only an inch deep pocket all the way across. Is that legal? IS it legal to have something inside your shirt pocket to hold the shells, if it is completely inside the pocket? As I said, I ain't changing anything for me, just wondering about what others may come up with.

OK Buck, you can hang me, just don't write "Gammer" on my marker, and burry me upside down so the whole world can.....park their bike when needed.

Slim

Two things just hit me.

One, if'n we shot neked....I would win every match, no one else would show up

Two, Adam, you know Eve's companion, could not shoot a SASS match. He aint got no belly button to use a gauge for the placement of everything.

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Laugh for no apparent reason and the world stares and crosses the street to get away."

Slim

Howdy

I don't think so. A bunch of years ago there was a rule against 'organizing' spare rounds in a pouch or pocket. If they went into a pouch or a pocket, they had to be loose, no attempt at organizing them.

Personally, my solution to the whole shotgun extra rounds problem is two slides. One four loop belt slide on either side of the buckle on my gun belt. I don't like to wear a shotgun belt either. With 2X4 in my slides I can shoot any six shell stage and still drop two on the ground. Only when the the round count goes to 8 shotgun shells or more do I strap on my shotgun belt.

Back in the day I bought my first and every cowboy shootin' shirts from ole Horsefly. Great shirts and they all had 2 pockets. I would fold up a bandana in each pocket so it did not stick up and pretty much filled the pocket. I carried 4 or 5 sg shells between the bandanas and the shirt front. The bandanas would keep the shells upright and ready to grab most of the time. Not too fast but worked for me. Then I got 4 round slides for each side of the pistol belt but still usually carried the pocket shells for "just in case". I too hate a sg belt but love my Tupelo Bando these days.

Archived