SASS Wire Forum

30 CAL Carbine, Paratrooper model

Johnny Angel

Can anyone tell me what one is worth? It is suppose to be as orig as it can be comming from the armory. It is in very nice condition.

Can anyone tell me what one is worth? It is suppose to be as orig as it can be comming from the armory. It is in very nice condition.

Be impossible to say without seeing pictures. If it's really an original, 2 position flip sight, no bayonet lug, it could be a couple of thousand.

Be impossible to say without seeing pictures. If it's really an original, 2 position flip sight, no bayonet lug, it could be a couple of thousand.

The CMP has one on auction now and then and they usually go for around 2k, give or take a couple of hundred

Regularly see them listed for $2 - 4K. Not sure what they actually go for, though.

I would be wary of a original model in "very nice condition". True mil-spec guns should show wear and tear, dings and handling marks on the stock. How old are these things now....60-70 years?

I was browasing in a gun shop recently and a Lee-Enfield Jungle carbine caught my eye (at least til I pulled it off the rack). Someone had sanded and redone the stock with a semi-gloss finish (Tru-oil???) and reblacken all the metal. Any collector interest totally destroyed and little value as a hunting carbine.

The good news is it shouldn't be too hard to research the gun.

Correct. plus correct flat top bolt (bolt changed when they added a bayonet lug and changed the rear sight on later models..the early model M1A1 is worth much more than the later models, and stampings on folding stock changed with 2nd model as well.

I sold one last summer for $6500 in absolutely mint condition, very early model, very collectible.

SIR

Have it checked by someone , that relly knows ,what to look for , Not saying this one is ,

BUT I have seen a LOT of FAKES in the market place , I have seen more fake paras than real ones .

IF it were me I would look myself and have some one else check it also , just to be sure .

Chickasaw Bill

might want to go to the CMP web site and watch the auction page and even post details on the ask each other forum there. If you buy a CMP M1A1 you get a certificate that says it is an M1A1. The stock is definitely original then. It will be on a refile that has been rebuilt by the military with the newer sight and bayonet lug etc, but at least you can prove it was not a bubba gun.

Does it have a makers mark/manufacturing stamp? Mine was made by International Harvester (yes, the tractor company). Ten years ago I sold it for $2500, and it was used I assure you. Bluing was graded at 60%, the wood was dinged, scratched, and hand-worn at the fore-end and wrist. everything was original, fully functional and the bore was graded at 90%. I had six mags, but only one was from a US armoury, and highly unlikely it was issued with the gun.

Bodine

Does it have a makers mark/manufacturing stamp? Mine was made by International Harvester (yes, the tractor company). Ten years ago I sold it for $2500, and it was used I assure you. Bluing was graded at 60%, the wood was dinged, scratched, and hand-worn at the fore-end and wrist. everything was original, fully functional and the bore was graded at 90%. I had six mags, but only one was from a US armoury, and highly unlikely it was issued with the gun.

Bodine

Are you sure it wasn't IBM, IH didn't make any M1 carbines in WWII.

It's been 10 years, so I could be mistaken . I had a garand also, maybe the garand was IH. I am sure one of them was made by International Harvester though, it was stamped on the reciever.

Bodine

It's been 10 years, so I could be mistaken . I had a garand also, maybe the garand was IH. I am sure one of them was made by International Harvester though, it was stamped on the reciever.

Bodine

IH made 337,623 M-1 "Garands" between 1951 and 1953.

IH made 337,623 M-1 "Garands" between 1951 and 1953.

That must be what I'm thinking of. My sincere apology for the confusion. My memory ain't what it was ten years ago either. :blush:

Bodine

Archived