SASS Wire Forum

What Is Old Is New....Again.

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.military.com/news/article/2011/marsoc-wants-new-pistol-with-old-design.html?col=1186032325324

The Corps' weapons officials are bypassing decades of handgun innovations and sticking with the revered .45 caliber 1911 for its new Close Quarters Battle Pistol.

Hard to beat the classics.

I'm a little confused: I thought the ICQB program led to the M45, just like maybe five years ago? Now they need another new, NEW old .45?

Too bad they can't get rid of the M9 all together. Some Army special units also have been using the 1911 in lieu of the Beretta but there are no plans for conventional units to go back to the 45. Too bad.

Perhaps I don't understand, and probably so.

I thought that the newer weapons were the complete answer

to all of the military questions and situations.

The new 9mm and ,22s that is.

Why would someone want to dust off a hundred year old

idea and place that upon the shoulders military troopers?

Maybe because it is effective?

I'm a little confused: I thought the ICQB program led to the M45, just like maybe five years ago? Now they need another new, NEW old .45?

The M45 program was 400 hand built custom 1911's built on the 1911's that were replaced as the issue sidearm when the M9 came on line in the'80's and early '90's. The problem is now the Marines need 4,000 of them. Since the pool of available 1911's that are suitable for the rebuild still in Marine hands is small, and the fact that there are only a handful of 'smiths in the unit that did the M45 customizations, it more practical to just buy an off the shelf new gun built to the M45 specs.

The M45 program was 400 hand built custom 1911's built on the 1911's that were replaced as the issue sidearm when the M9 came on line in the'80's and early '90's. The problem is now the Marines need 4,000 of them. Since the pool of available 1911's that are suitable for the rebuild still in Marine hands is small, and the fact that there are only a handful of 'smiths in the unit that did the M45 customizations, it more practical to just buy an off the shelf new gun built to the M45 specs.

Yep - due to time and material shortages they want to "outsource" the manufacture of "new" pistols.

Yep - due to time and material shortages they want to "outsource" the manufacture of "new" pistols.

Yes, but I thought they already had been doing that- augmenting the in-house builds with commercial purchases.

No matter, I suppose. I agree with Utah Bob.

Archived