Johnny Swan, SASS #50322

Guest Texas Jack Black

And you don't live in Texas...

:wacko:

Never said I did :P

Good morning to you Phantom I see you are your cheerful self as usual :lol:

Best wishes to you

T J B

PS lived there long ago while you were still a youngster ;)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH, NO!

SASS is dying!

Membership numbers are down?

Nobody is joining any more!

Woe is us.

Where is the dead horse smiley when you need him?

Guest Texas Jack Black

OH, NO!

SASS is dying!

Membership numbers are down?

Nobody is joining any more!

Woe is us.

Where is the dead horse smiley when you need him?

How dare you speak such blasphemy :lol:

I've lost all hope of there ever being a set aside in the sport for people who don't use short-stroke rifles and confine themselves only to the sort of slicking up done in the real Old West. We can have such set asides for people who shoot with one hand, or with a gun in each hand, or for people who dress funny, etcetera, but none for those of us who simply want to compete against other people using the guns the way they were designed and used. That's too much to ask, and I've quit asking. I shoot, slow but reasonably accurately, using single action revolvers, lever action rifles and double shotguns, and that's all I want to do anymore. The idea that I might shoot against like-minded individuals using similar weapons is gone.

Oddnews, no offense intended here, but if you have "lost all hope" why are you spending your time typing any of this? If seems to me that if you accepted the reality of the game, you would just move on. Play or don't. Seems simple to me.

Regards,

I noticed a senior shooter using a Uberi 1873 deluxe border rifle tuned by Cody in 2003 , The senior ran typical speed rifle side matches in the 5 second range .

5 years later when he switch to a new 73 tuned by Colt McAllister and his speed rifle times dropped to the mid 3's and low 4's. The 4th gen rifle was just plain faster. I also noticed when I switched from a 3rd gen deluxe border rifle to a 5th gen deluxe border rifle, my rifle time improved by roughly .6 second.

The SS rifles won't win a match for you. Pratice is much more likely to help you win a match than a SS rifle.

I recently saw a state level match won by a less than 1 second, and the winning shooter used a Short stroked rifle. Did he win the match by running his rifle faster the the other shooters. Maybe, maybe not, I think he won because he made less mistakes than the others guys.

The # 2 & 3 guys were using the SS 73 and SS Marlin.

Oddnews, no offense intended here, but if you have "lost all hope" why are you spending your time typing any of this? If seems to me that if you accepted the reality of the game, you would just move on. Play or don't. Seems simple to me.

Regards,

It might be because he is a newspaper man and those media types like to stir the pot. :)

I spent two years shooting rock stock guns (well only one year shooting a stock shotgun.) Last winter I upgraded my equipment. Now every cowboy gun I shoot is tuned and my 73 is shortstroked. Let me tell you shooting tuned and SS is a lot of fun. I have to admit I am shooting faster. Not .43 for draw, fire and reholster a pistol faster, but significantly faster. Am I faster because I upgraded my equipment? I don't know since I also have been practicing and I am told that it takes a couple of years to start moving faster in this game. I do know that since I went to tuned guns and a shortstroked rifle CAS is like a whole different game. It is a lot of fun. :)

Im going to keep my eyes/ears open for a local shooter who plans to add a short stroke kit to their gun. If I can get my hands on it, I would like to do a test. Run a few rounds before adding the kit, then run a few after adding the kit.

So, what would be a good test? 50, 100 rounds? I would like to do this as well as possible to show the true difference that is there. Same shooter, same gun, same ammo.... only difference is adding the SS kit. If possible, I would like to do the complete test in one day.

What do you think? Would this be a pretty good test? I would also like some of the other gun smiths do the same test if at all possible

It seems odd to me that so many shooters want to enjoy the game their way, purists if you will, but resent other shooters wanting to enjoy the game in a different way. I agree with several here who have pointed out the impracticality of trying to enforce a 'stock' guns category.

I'm pretty new to this having started back in February. The only guns I have ever shot are the two Rugers I started out with, a Cody Conagher slicked 73 with a 4th gen C&I SS kit and a Cody slicked Stoeger. I averaged in the high 50's at my first match, with pistols being my weakest point. Since then I've had the Rugers slicked up by a good local gunsmith and trimmed about 35 seconds off my average times. Pistols remain my weak spot, despite the smithing. I attribute the improved times to lots of practice and some fantastic mentoring by local cowboys. The smithing made little appreciable difference other than a better tolerance for built up crud, and more fun to shoot due to smoothness.

I'm in the same camp as those who say SS doesn't mean much competitively other than at the very highest levels, if then. The shooter's natural talent and the amount of effort they put into improving themselves matter most.

And for the record, my rifle ain't SS. But I practice alittle.

Jabez, ifn you can supply the names and match, someone on the Wire might be able to supply more details about that match and maybe, just maybe, it could appear that the .43 separation might be credited to the feller with the SS rifle.

Y'all have a nice day.

..........Widder

Howdy Widder;

I was at the match, Both shooters are good friends of mine , We offten shoot together for 3-4 major matches per year ...

The shooter that won the day was shooting a SS 73 in .357 using .38 special loads using 125 gr. bullets at 750 Fps. and his slit times with the rifle were about 13 hundredths of a second faster on the average ....

The second place shooter has now gone to a SS 73 as well and has beat out shooter #1 more than a few times since ...

Both shooters are likley to place in the top 3 or 4 overall at any of our shoots up here .... Usually 1 & 2 !!!

The second place shooter almost made-up the time difference with the rifle with the shotgun (few can touch him with a 97)...

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy Widder;

I was at the match, Both shooters are good friends of mine , We offten shoot together for 3-4 major matches per year ...

The shooter that won the day was shooting a SS 73 in .357 using .38 special loads using 125 gr. bullets at 750 Fps. and his slit times with the rifle were about 13 hundredths of a second faster on the average ....

The second place shooter has now gone to a SS 73 as well and has beat out shooter #1 more than a few times since ...

Both shooters are likley to place in the top 3 or 4 overall at any of our shoots up here .... Usually 1 & 2 !!!

The second place shooter almost made-up the time difference with the rifle with the shotgun (few can touch him with a 97)...

Jabez Cowboy

ya didn't say who was better with pistols than the other.

Oh crap,,,,, one is better with rifle, the other is better with SG, who knows about pistols...The moon is full.... or not.... the other has a year old advantage, one is shooting 125g bullets vs 105g... One is shooting clays,,, the other is shooting Titegroup.....conclusion??? it must be the SS rifle. yep that is it.....LOL

Im going to keep my eyes/ears open for a local shooter who plans to add a short stroke kit to their gun. If I can get my hands on it, I would like to do a test. Run a few rounds before adding the kit, then run a few after adding the kit.

So, what would be a good test? 50, 100 rounds? I would like to do this as well as possible to show the true difference that is there. Same shooter, same gun, same ammo.... only difference is adding the SS kit. If possible, I would like to do the complete test in one day.

What do you think? Would this be a pretty good test? I would also like some of the other gun smiths do the same test if at all possible

Here's what I'd suggest. If ya have a gun that is short stroked using a KIT, and have the original links, have two or three shooters of varying abilities run a few strings with each set up, and to be fair, have em run either a simple sweep "continuous nevada maybe) and have em run a five round "dump". Let each shooter run each sweep twice with each set up. (so ya don't burn tons of ammo, but get a bit more data) and yeah, yer gonna be able to see something, no matter what other rifle they shoot. Frankly, yer proficient, but not blazing fast will probably show the most difference IMHO. (say a 30 second two hander or 40 second duelist). The only "hint" I'd give em is they can plant the thumb and flick the fingers with the SS gun (let em try that dry fire first), as that technique, impossible for most of us with the long stroke gun) makes a difference).

And You Sir are a Recent ,,,, Replant into that state ,,,,,, I have probley spent more days in the great state of Texas over the past 40 years than you living there ..... Just saying ...

Jabez Cowboy

And I'm also a US Citizen...eh?!

And get a frekin clue. If you lose a match by a fraction of a second, you'd better not be blaming it on SS. One SG bobble...or the likes will eat up a WHOOOOOOOOLE lotta more time then any time saved via a SS.

Now don'tcha need to go back to your Grumpy Old Farts With Guns thread and pour some tea...or...eat some pie...or whatever y'all do on that thread?

:lol:

Blastmaster;

I think it would be fair to draw some conclusions for the data given ,,,,, Shooter gave-up about 10.3 seconds in time on the rifle times for the match but was able to get back about 9.8 seconds roughly with the other two guns used (mostly the shotgun)... Both shooter shot clean matches ,,,,, and mostly they run their pistols at about the same times ...

Both ran the match more than 60 seconds faster than #3 shooter ....

Jabez Cowboy

Blastmaster;

I think it would be fair to draw some conclusions for the data given ,,,,, Shooter gave-up about 10.3 seconds in time on the rifle times for the match but was able to get back about 9.8 seconds roughly with the other two guns used (mostly the shotgun)... Both shooter shot clean matches ,,,,, and mostly they run their pistols at about the same times ...

Jabez Cowboy

No, it's not fair to draw any conclusions unless you have video of all the shooters over the entire match. Otherwise you don't have near enough info to make the conclusion that you're trying to make.

Blastmaster;

Jabez Cowboy

There is no data. The best one could say is that the stars were not aligned with shooter #2 on that given day and leave it at that.

Congradulations that both had clean matches,,,,, but,,,,, there are bobbles and mis ques on both sides that take/give stage times,,,,, an that is where it is at.... one had fewer mistakes and clean matches don't show that detail.

Good gravy,,, 60second split between 2nd and 3rd.... 1st & 2nd place shooters were in a legeaue(sp) of their own. Just to show that 2nd place with out SS rifle was whipping up on a bunch of folks that had SS rifles. That, only adds to the mistery of this topic,,, or that skill is better than hardware.

Blastmaster

It might be because he is a newspaper man and those media types like to stir the pot. :)

I spent two years shooting rock stock guns (well only one year shooting a stock shotgun.) Last winter I upgraded my equipment. Now every cowboy gun I shoot is tuned and my 73 is shortstroked. Let me tell you shooting tuned and SS is a lot of fun. I have to admit I am shooting faster. Not .43 for draw, fire and reholster a pistol faster, but significantly faster. Am I faster because I upgraded my equipment? I don't know since I also have been practicing and I am told that it takes a couple of years to start moving faster in this game. I do know that since I went to tuned guns and a shortstroked rifle CAS is like a whole different game. It is a lot of fun. :)

Actually, I'm a former newspaper man. Today, I work for the Army as a civilian media relations officer.

Good gravy,,, 60second split between 2nd and 3rd.... 1st & 2nd place shooters were in a legeaue(sp) of their own. Just to show that 2nd place with out SS rifle was whipping up on a bunch of folks that had SS rifles. That, only adds to the mistery of this topic,,, or that skill is better than hardware.

Blastmaster

Great observation Blastmaster.

First off, we are told that the game is changing because toooooooo many folks are shooting SS rifles and creating a disadvantage over the NON SS shooter.

NOW we are being told that a NON SS shooter actually came in 2nd to a SS rifle shooter by .43 seconds (about the time it takes to blink an eye) and both of them whooped up on everyone else (all those super fast, magical SS rifle shooters) by 60 seconds.

The premise that SS rifles have a superior advantage over NON SS rifles is quickly loosing its credibility.

..........Widder

I had the duty of running the speed rifle side match at a state level match and it was won by Duece Stevens with a 2.43. He did it with a non short stroked rifle that someone asked him to shoot while he was there. Duece had his own Spur shortstroked Marlin, but shot the best time with a non short stroked Marlin.

Widdermaker Hill shot the world record GF in under 2 seconds with non-short stroked Rugers.

I'm sure there are a lot of examples of this. Using the SS as an excuse doesn't hold water.

As many have said. PRACTICE makes the difference. Most of my practice is at monthly shoots....against shooters who religiously shoot over 20,000 rounds a year. Will a SS help? No, but it does make it more fun to shoot.

If you want a stock class (which sounds like fun) do as AJ and many others suggest. Get like minded people to start shooting it with you at a monthly and promote it. If people see you having fun and see the challenge then it can grow and then others will take it to other clubs.

I can guarantee you will not get it done here.

I recently received an email from another TG who was promoting his ideas of possible rule changes. His approach was presented well and made sense and it gives us a chance to digest and talk about it before it comes up for a vote.....if it makes it for consideration. His approach will get a lot farther than just talking on the wire.

Start a movement...An example is what Ketchum and Duece are doing at Rockford, Mi....they are having a "if you ever wanted to shoot CC day" They are providing hammered doubles and 87's.....they are specifying clothing requirements and letting people use whatever for rifle caliber and pistol....yeah, I know it's not the same, but it gives a taste of the category without having to buy a 45 rifle and pistols.

You could do the same....at a monthly....talk to your club and see if you can do a stock category at a shoot.....promote it and see if it works....

...I have SS equipment and I have stock stuff.....I'd shoot with you...

KK

First-off SS guns make-up less than 15% of the guns you will find in use at matches up here now and the match in question had only 4 or 5 SS rifles in use at the time .....

The Race to mod's isn't as full blown here as south of the line,and for this I am grateful ...

Futher You will find folks laughing and Jokeing and doing more fun things on and off the clock and more folks seem to shoot heavyer loads than You-all seem to be using .... (I like that Two)

We still have a shoot where you might encounter a 50 yard of-hand shot at a piece of 3/4 Rebar two feet long ... ( it is suposed to be cutting yer buddy down from being hung for Horse thieving) You load ten in your rifle and shoot till it's down or all rounds are expended, if it is missed (left standing) you take one miss) after you knock it down remaining rounds are to be shot alternating between to pieces of 6 inch diameter pipe 14 inches long also shot off-hand at about the same distance ... Each hit on the pipes counts for a 5 second bounus ...

Jabez Cowboy

First-off SS guns make-up less than 15% of the guns you will find in use at matches up here now and the match in question had only 4 or 5 SS rifles in use at the time .....

The Race to mod's isn't as full blown here as south of the line,and for this I am grateful ...

Futher You will find folks laughing and Jokeing and doing more fun things on and off the clock and more folks seem to shoot heavyer loads than You-all seem to be using .... (I like that Two)

We still have a shoot where you might encounter a 50 yard of-hand shot at a piece of 3/4 Rebar two feet long ... ( it is suposed to be cutting yer buddy down from being hung for Horse thieving) You load ten in your rifle and shoot till it's down or all rounds are expended, if it is missed (left standing) you take one miss) after you knock it down remaining rounds are to be shot alternating between to pieces of 6 inch diameter pipe 14 inches long also shot off-hand at about the same distance ... Each hit on the pipes counts for a 5 second bounus ...

Jabez Cowboy

How sad.

And counting must be real fun...

:FlagAm:

ON, While I honestly don't understand the angst and emotional energy drain you seem to have over what other folks are shooting, I fully support your efforts to try to make a change in the environment! Hey, it's a great county! B)

Suggestion: Rather than a "Stock" class, why not an Original Class? All firearms used must be original Marlins, Winchesters or Colts etc., with NOTHING done to them whatsoever. What you got is what you got! Cowboy has to use them just the way they did, as they were - no aftermarket parts allowed, and no wrapping the levers (real cowboys did not worry about busting their knuckles!), or lighting springs - nothing - nada! Now THAT might be interesting to some folks. :)

Seriously pard, it's about practice and talent - not equipment. Folks like Duece and Lead Dispenser can kick our collective butts with a rusty Winchester 94. ;)

I won't say it's ALL about practice and talent, or all about the tools. It's a mix, and EITHER the shooter going to pieces or a gun breaking will easily ruin a good match. A GOOD shooter would be hard pressed to place WELL with a stock '92 that has not been slicked, or most stock Marlins. He might do a little better with a stock '73 if ya don't count the bandaids from running a stiff action hard enough to wear off skin.

But put the best possible tools in the hands of a shooter willing to practice, and yeah buddy, ya got something now. I wouldn't even bother practicing with a stock Marlin or 92. What are ya practicing, getting frustrated? ya already know how to do that.

Like I said waay earlier on this thread, look at the Heluva Rukus vids, stage 7. I can gaurandamtee nobody that shot 8 rounds into the mover before it went behind the screen did it with a stock gun, and probably 75% of those who did used either really slick marlins or SS 73s. The advantage is marginal, but that particular stge, the margin gets pretty big if ya have to wait for the mover to reappear.

Slick, fast operating guns will make PRACTICE more fun, and that is probably the MOST important reason to run "fast" guns if ya wanna shoot fast.

But if ya wanna shoot all sttock or "no short strokes", do like we do with "Outlaw". It ain't recognized (we sign up as duelist) and just do it anyway and score amongst yerselves. If enough do it, the club will eventually offer it if say 5 people repeatedly say "we like this and want it on our local categories".....

Jabez Cowboy

Heavier loads than necessary, fooling around pre beep, longer range bulls eye type shooting on the clock. Practice any? I can imagine the majority there do not know about transitioning between guns or precise gun staging techniques. I wouldn't be surprised if folks up North come to the line with their pistol hammer tie downs still in place. and then you wonder why your times are slow in comparison and chance of winning South is very iffy? It ain't about modifications (such as SS rifles )of guns pard.

PS, if you are having fun your way, great. I like my fun the way it is dished out south of you.

Blastmaster

AJ, I think you would be suprised at what some shooters could do with some pretty rough equipment. There are a few out there that have shot and practiced with everthing under the sun and are able to shoot lights out with anything you put in their hands. I've seen it first hand.

Jabez Cowboy

If less than 15% are shooting SS rifles and that equates to only 4 or 5 shooters, you must have about 25-30 shooters for each match.....using those figures you stated. That means that about 4 shooters using SS rifles were still 60 seconds behind the guy who didn't use a SS rifle. Not a valid point to prove that SS have some magical advantage.

And if your shooting a 3/4 rebar at 50 yards, you fellers outa be military snipers. Heck, I can barely make out a truck tire at 50 yards. How can you see such a thing at that distance with open sights?

Glad everyone is having fun.....and so do we.

Fore those interested, take the advice already given and start working towards your desire to have a 'stock' category or 'NO SS Category'. You'll find ample interest but please don't be surprised by some of the match results. If your getting whooped up on now, you'll probably still be at the bottom of the list unless you start interjecting practice, transitions, ect.

Good day to all.....North and South of the border.

..........Widder

How to win a match.

My friend J-Bar and I both shoot Frontiersman.

His actual times with guns in hand is equal to or very close to my times.

But: He will beat me by several seconds/stage.

Conclusion? Shooting is about half of the game, the other half is transitions.

How to win a match.

My friend J-Bar and I both shoot Frontiersman.

His actual times with guns in hand is equal to or very close to my times.

But: He will beat me by several seconds/stage.

Conclusion? Shooting is about half of the game, the other half is transitions.

That's kinda of what I've been thinkin' Noz..

Big annual match last weekend..

I was shooting with 2 excellent shooters on my posse..

I am normally 4-5 seconds more than them per stage..

On one stage.. they both had a good run.. I was within 1 second of them :rolleyes:

They both looked at me and said for the whole posse to hear..

We thought we had a good run on that stage.. musta been slower than we thought..

I just smiled..

My thoughts.. I have about 1 transition setup in my way of shooting.. always the same way

between guns.. Ain't at all sayin' that's good.. :blush: just me..

They probably have 8-10 diffent transitions between guns according to the scenario

When I got within' a second of their stage.. I kinda figured OK.. my transition was the right one for that stage.. it worked :rolleyes:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I need ta practice more transitons :blush:

You don't win matches with rifles. You win them with shotguns.

(And you lose them with pistols!!!)

I can lose them with my shotgun pretty well too :lol:

As to the .43 time difference; being able to attribute that to any one element is just dang kooky.

Ok they both shot clean, did they both get their first shot of every stage off at exactly the same time, not little hesitation at the beep, no slight sighting adjustment at the target, no makeup of a shotgun target for either shooter, how about a difference in length of stride in moving from one point to another. Could be pretty much anything. To attribute these results to the SS of the rifle is stretching it.

Study the timer. It will tell you how fast you shoot vs. how fast you transition. You gotta do both well to compete. The timers we use keep track of all this info, it's there to take advantage of. Use a second timer to keep the match running on schedule. Just do it!

Cash

I bet the winners of all these matches are using those short stroked SG's also. :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

I believe that the timer showing the split times with the rifle being on the average 13 hundreds of a second faster per shot (as mentioned in a previous post) with the SS rifle tell the story .... Rather well ....

But hell the timer (Device) must be biased against ,,,,, one of da shooters .....

As for shooting the rebar down ,,, I have shot that target on three different ocassions the first time I used one round ,the second time 2 rounds and this spring one round was used ....

Oh and I use a ladder sight and blade front site out to 900 plus yards on my highwall with good effect ... And Widder (Yes) retired ...

Jabez cowboy

The obfuscating on this thread is irritating.

For crying out loud, a retard can understand you can lose a match at the reloading bench or by leaving yer SG belt in the cart. You can fall over yer own feet, turn left instead of right, and myriad other things that will add to times. But dammitall to hell, there is a part of this fandango that involves actually shooting the guns, and yes, a slick, short stroked rifle will help most of us reduce THAT PART OF THE STAGE TIME ACTUALLY SPENT SHOOTING THE RIFLE compared to some bumper jack masquerading as a rifle. This is not hard to understand, even with a ton of bovine offal piled on top.

Sure ya can likely trim more time by getting better loading and shucking yer SG, or transitioning, or wearing gamer spurs, or whatever, ALL THAT STUFF HELPS, but a damned slick, fast operating rifle don't HURT and might could help a small amount as well, especially if when cycled it don't jump all over the place. (Ever see the "Fudds" cycle a '94 winchester (or darn stiff new Marlin) by holding it more or less at port arms to crank it, then return it to the shoulder? That can't be fast, LOL)

ALL the guns must be shot well. Will you perform well or not? It's a mental exercise. You don't win or lose a match with any one of them. You win or lose a match based on what's going on between the ears.

ALL the guns must be shot well. Will you perform well or not? It's a mental exercise. You don't win or lose a match with any one of them. You win or lose a match based on what's going on between the ears.

We just completed the Nevada State Championships.

On any given weekend, there are three of us who's shooting times for a stage are right on top of each other.

We were all hoping for a shot at the overall NEVADA resident championship.

(too many stinkin' fast out of staters to hope for the true overall top gun - congrats Robyn DaVault).

But we knew (barring a major trainwreck) that it would come down to who makes the fewest mental mistakes - none of us were going to beat the others with our guns. (congrats Lash Latigo - top Nevada shooter)

That's one of the attractions of this game (at least for me), you have to be good with everything; your guns, your movements, and mentally - one gun alone will not win you a match.

Archived