SASS Wire Forum

OT - Bone Marrow Donor

Texas Phil Peeno #50923

From what I've heard it's not a pleasant experience. They use a pretty large bore needle to make the extraction. Once that's done I've been told you have a low grade back ache for three to four months.

That being said, I was told all of this about 20 years ago when I first put my name in the registry. I assume things have changed (Hopefully for the better) since then.

Bone Marrow Harvesting

The procedure consists of inserting a large-gauge syringe into an area of the hip and extracting the bone marrow. It is transfused into the recipient, and helps to recreate and replenish T-cells and the white and red blood cells killed while undergoing chemotherapy.

"The most serious risk associated with donating bone marrow involves the use and effects of anesthesia during surgery. After the surgery, you might feel tired or weak and have trouble walking for a few days. The area where the bone marrow was taken out might feel sore for a few days. You can take a pain reliever for the discomfort. You'll likely be able to get back to your normal routine within a couple of days, but it may take a couple of weeks before you feel fully recovered...

Collecting stem cells from bone marrow is a type of surgery and is done in the operating room. You will be given anesthesia for the procedure. Needles will be inserted through the skin and into the bone to draw the marrow out of the bone. This process usually takes one to two hours.

After the bone marrow is collected, you will be taken to the recovery room while the anesthesia wears off. You may then be taken to a hospital room where the nursing staff can keep an eye on you. When you're fully alert and able to eat and drink, you'll be released from the hospital." (Mayo Clinic On-Line)

The procedure is not bad at all because I was under a general anesthetic and didn't feel anything.

I actually went jogging after I got home.

2 hours after that...I felt like I'd been kicked by a mule, a BIG MULE!! And...it lasted for a while. I don't really remember how long. It was 20+ years ago, but I had trouble moving around for a couple of days.

I think the trouble is that they don't just extract from one place. I had several holes in my backside.

Would I do it again?

In a heartbeat.

Howdy,

There are several ways stem cells are harvested to treat patients. Actually harvesting stem cells from extracted bone marrow is one but not the most common. Also, umbilical cords can be used for the stems cells they contain. The most common is "PBSC" described below.

In most cases, a donation is made using circulating stem cells (PBSC) collected by apheresis. First, the donor receives injections for a few days of a medication that causes stem cells to move out of the bone marrow and into the blood. For the stem cell collection, the donor is connected to a machine by a needle inserted in the vein (like for blood donation). Blood is taken from the vein, filtered by the machine to collect the stem cells, then returned back to the donor through a needle in the other arm. There is almost no need for a recovery time with this procedure.

Many thanks to those who donate stem cells and blood products like red blod cells and platlets which sustain life to folks undergoing treatment. Saved my wifes life in 2007.

Vaya con Dios,

Keystone

Archived