SASS Wire Forum

What Is Wrong With This Picture?

Subdeacon Joe

I was perusing Castle Argghhh!!! and found this photo posted as his current Whatziss offering. The owner of the blog, a gentleman of the cannon cocker persuasion I believe, supplied this text with it:

Below is a pic of infantrymen from an anti-tank company who have un-assed their truck because some inconsiderate German machinegunners shot it up while they were swanning about enjoying the sights of wartime Holland in 1944. They are trying to find said Germans so as to properly express their annoyance at how the german army was treating Allied tourists then swarming over Holland at the very first instance of the "Nijmegen Marches."

I just find the pic fascinating, and the careful eye will see why. The pic should embiggen upon being caressed by your mouse cursor and a concomitant push on the appropriate button.

Because of the way I posted, I don't believe it will, as he puts it, embiggen, but you can use Ctrl+ to embiggen it.

You can find his blog HERE if you wish to see the original, and some of the guesses as to what is wrong.

Besides the obvious mix of weapons with the K-98 thrown in, I see the fifth and 3rd. guy down SMOKING A BUTT. A definite NO NO in combat,

It'll give away their position to the enemy with all that smoke rising above the berm of whatever that stuff is. Looks like

little crocodile heads. Just sayin'

Big Jake

I'm not sure that any of them are smoking, that may just be something in the background.

And, more on the photo from the Castle Argghhh! blog:

It's a US Army Signal Corps photo. I believe the guy in the middle actually has a Garand, but it was the Mausers that caught my eye. When I first glanced at it, I thought the less obvious Mauser (the one on the right) might actually have been an 03A3, but it didn't look quite right, that's when I realized it was a Mauser, too.

Just serves as an example of how our brains apply templates to initially make sense of things - US troops, so I expected to see US weapons.

Not seen in the picture (because the one I scanned from is too big for the scanner I have) is the truck and 57mm A/T gun. I'll scan that and put it up for tomorrow.

Signal corps photo. I'm callin shenanigans. Looks too posed.

On the blog the poster explains that the photo was in a calender. The UFO is actually the "hang up" hole for the calender page. at least that is the "official" cover story on the site. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Joe, the original link looks like it's been hacked. :angry:

I think there were enough hits from here that it triggered some sort of safety block. Don't quite know what happened.

Here is a link to The Castle Argghhh! page with the photo.

http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/2011/09/a_quasiwhatziss.html

And, here is the photo on my photobucket page: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/subdjoe/holland_44_web.jpg

and the other half of the picture:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/subdjoe/holland_44_truck.jpg

Well Hell....why are they hidin' with Mausers when they Got a M2 on the truck???? :blink:

In the original post I put the explanation from The Castle Argghh! blog, in part it goes:

who have un-assed their truck because some inconsiderate German machinegunners shot it up while they were swanning about enjoying the sights of wartime Holland in 1944.

So the truck is dead, they don't know if the threat is still there or where it is. And with a non-moving truck that M2 is just a tad exposed.

Anti-tank infantry would have had an anti-tank weapon as their primary weapon, and a Model 1911 or Carbine as their secondary weapon. I can see using captured K-98s as a field expedient firepower enhancement. Also, having ridden around in APCs, I can see bailing out without all your web gear. But these guys have clean uniforms and shined boots.

My opinion: staged photo.

Duffield

Anti-tank infantry would have had an anti-tank weapon as their primary weapon, and a Model 1911 or Carbine as their secondary weapon. I can see using captured K-98s as a field expedient firepower enhancement. Also, having ridden around in APCs, I can see bailing out without all your web gear. But these guys have clean uniforms and shined boots.

My opinion: staged photo.

Duffield

That's my opinion too.

I heard rumors of "Staged Photos" in SW Asia. Heard tell of pictures taken of "Dead VC/NVA soldiers. As soon as pictures were taken the "Dead" got up and went back to being ARVN.

"Body Count" was expected to be high by the Brass!

Archived