SASS Wire Forum

Decisions Decisions..

Utah Bob #35998

I could go into Dove Creek and have coffee with the boys at the VFW this morning or...

I could sit in the yard and have coffee or...

I could go down to the man cave and have coffee.

Retirement is complicated sometimes. :unsure:

Well..... the coffee thingy seems to be a constant, so I would say part of the dilemma is eliminated.

Personally, I like my coffee fresh, hot and served. That is usually the case but I am the server. Going out usually means putting socks on. So home brew is the ticket.

Why socks, when you never wear shoes? :unsure: :unsure:

Well, it gives me a modicum of respectability.

The sandals are a nice touch though. Real class.

I have been looking for a pair of sandals with a dogger heel, but I can't find 'em.

I vote for "go out".

Coffee just seems to taste better when it is drunk with friends.

Brew some coffee, drink some while sitting in the yard contemplating whether you want to go have coffee with the boys or drink a cup in your man cave.

Pour your second cup, wander to the man cave while sipping it. Go into man cave and look around, maybe putter a bit while finishing the coffee.

Say "What the heck" and go down to the VFW to have some coffee and stories with the boys. See how simple it is?

You boys are giving me a chill.....

I'm at that "maybe I should retire in 5 years" stage - debating the pros and cons (and the affordability issues).

But when I hear this kind of exchange (and I know UB is yanking at our spurs), man, I'd go NUTS if my day was a series of "where to drink coffee" decisions. Maybe I'm just not ready....or maybe I never will be. I go stir crazy if there are not more fires to put out then there are buckets.

I envy anyone who can simplify their life to pure enjoyment and relaxation; Lord knows that many have earned it.

But I get to feelin' down right sinful if I am not gainfully employed, or have nothing to show at the end of a day's work.

I know; it's a sickness; but it's inbred, and I'm worried that I'll never get over it. And I've never had a cup of coffee in my life (NOW what do I do?)

LL

LL, in many ways I am like that, only I am also lazy if that makes any sense.

I'd retire today if I could afford to do so with enough money to enjoy it and not just survive. I'd travel to matches, I'd rekindle my woodworking hobby, I'd take up leather work, I'd volunteer at the local animal shelter, might try my hand at writing a book, maybe take a gunsmithing class, learn to play the guitar of harmonica, and that is just the short list.

I'm at that "maybe I should retire in 5 years" stage - debating the pros and cons (and the affordability issues).

But when I hear this kind of exchange (and I know UB is yanking at our spurs), man, I'd go NUTS if my day was a series of "where to drink coffee" decisions. Maybe I'm just not ready....or maybe I never will be. I go stir crazy if there are not more fires to put out then there are buckets.

I envy anyone who can simplify their life to pure enjoyment and relaxation; Lord knows that many have earned it.

But I get to feelin' down right sinful if I am not gainfully employed, or have nothing to show at the end of a day's work.

I know; it's a sickness; but it's inbred, and I'm worried that I'll never get over it. And I've never had a cup of coffee in my life (NOW what do I do?)

LL

God Bless you sir, you just AIN'T READY.

My wife has retired three times and now she is working on me. I can't wait for her to go to her

volunteer stuff so I can get some peace.

Seriously, some folks just don't take to the retirement thing. I never looked back. I find that I enjoy spending my time on projects that I find interesting, rather than something somebody else dreams up. Of course my thought process has always been a little messed up. But I like it. Captain Jack seems to like it also. Good luck to you what ever you decide to do.

The way the economy is going, we may all be scratching for seeds in the dirt.

LL

I worked my ass off my whole life. I never considered retiring till work got to be more of a chore than fulfilling and enjoyable. Like you, I kind of feared I might go nuts if I wasn't working constantly.

I was wrong. Like most of the retired guys here I keep pretty dang busy. I was in fact engaged in chain yanking but we don't have a chain yanking icon here.

And at the end of the day I almost always have something to show for my labors. Maybe just not something you can put in the bank or show my supervisor. ;) Retirement isn't an end ...it's a new beginning.

I worked my ass off my whole life. I never considered retiring till work got to be more of a chore than fulfilling and enjoyable. Like you, I kind of feared I might go nuts if I wasn't working constantly.

I was wrong. Like most of the retired guys here I keep pretty dang busy. I was in fact engaged in chain yanking but we don't have a chain yanking icon here.

And at the end of the day I almost always have something to show for my labors. Maybe just not something you can put in the bank or show my supervisor. ;)Retirement isn't an end ...it's a new beginning.

Sorta like what I keep telling my bride when we get a chance to go sailing for the day - It's not the destination, it's the journey that matters.

I once worked for a wise old fella who pointed out to me that 5 years after we were gone from the profession, nobody would remember who we were; sad, but true. Nobody is going to put up a granite statue of me, so I better get used to the transition and think about how to incorporate it into my life.

LL

I could go into Dove Creek and have coffee with the boys at the VFW this morning or...

I could sit in the yard and have coffee or...

I could go down to the man cave and have coffee.

Retirement is complicated sometimes. :unsure:

I've been to dove Creek several time Bob, I did think it had enough people in that area that could support a VFW

I've been to dove Creek several time Bob, I did think it had enough people in that area that could support a VFW

It only takes two vets to swap war stories... and they get better each time you tell them. :lol:

Dove Creek has a population of 600. The VFW post has about 40 members.

Bob; you should go to Dove Creek once a week to the VFW and have breakfast and coffee with the guys. Then you still have

6 days you can drink coffee in your yard or in the Man Cave.

I have breakfast every Tuesday AM with a dozen Marines, then go play poker with about 4-5 of them. Something to look forward to

for some of them. Most are WWII or Korean War Vets, some are Vietnam Vets like me. It's nice to talk to them about what they did

while in the service. I only drink Coffee when I go out to breakfast (twice a week).

Big Jake

Dove Creek has a population of 600. The VFW post has about 40 members.

guess they had a population grow in the last 30 years, or are you counting all the chickens and cows in town :lol: :lol:

Put 35.5 years in a factory, when it got to be more stress than fun( read: really crappy management decisions, writing on the wall stuff), I got out. Tried a part time job for awhile, got screwed out of it by someone who thought he had an axe to grind :angry: At home now taking care of the pets, doing chores and licking my wounds. Not much of a job market in these parts anyhow :rolleyes:

Make my own coffee, drink it here, go to church on Sundays.....Buck :blush:

guess they had a population grow in the last 30 years, or are you counting all the chickens and cows in town :lol: :lol:

Chickens and cows would boost it up to about 2,000. :lol:

They serve coffee at the VFW?

Monday Wednesday and Friday. 9 to 11. An Air Force guy usually makes it so it ain't too bad. Stop by if yore in the hood. :lol:

Dec.11, 1998 62 yrs old and 30 yrs with the company. and they paid me to go ( they was seling out). No door nob hit me in the butt. This has been probably the best part of my

75 years on this planet. Regards, TJ :)

I am the coffe maker here bouts, takes me bout 3 cups to

get a pulse going

Archived