SASS Wire Forum

Mustang and Saddlemen Aftermarket motorcycle seats

Korupt Karl

I recently purchased a C90T Suzuki 1500cc V twin. It has the studded seats and looks great. However, the OEM seat isn't the most comfortable after an hour or so in the saddle. I've been reading about the MUSTANG and also the SADDLEMAN brand of aftermarket seats. Both are supposed to be excellent as far as extended comfort.

The Mustang looks to offer a lot of support just with the rider seat and the way the passenger seat overlaps and extends the lumbar support....

Anyone have experience with either and have a recommendation. With a driver backrest I have found them priced from the low 600's to 700 and with that kind of investment I would like some input from you, the forum.

THanks

KK

Before reitiring, I owned a m/c shop. Sold many an aftermarket seat. You can't go wrong with a Mustang. Quality and COMFORT from the get go. Other seats need to be "broken in" which means you break a few times first. Everyone who rides 2nd seat (usually wives) has always had nothing but praise for Mustang.

I put a Mustang seat on a Honda Shadow that I had. It made all the difference in the world in the comfort of that bike. Before the Mustang seat, 30 to 45 minutes was all I could manage without having to take a break. After installing the Mustang seat, I could pretty much go the 125 miles I could get out of a tank of gas.

My current bike, a Harley Fat Boy, has both a Mustang and a Saddleman seat with it. The Mustang seat is more comfortable for me, but the pillion seat is less so for the wife. The Saddleman seat is less comfortable for me if it's over a 50 mile ride, but more comfortable for her. Width of the pillion seat is the difference...the Saddleman pillion seat is wider and thicker than the Mustang pillion seat.

Go with the Mustang, I don't have one, but know people that do and they swear by them, the Saddleman is over priced, or at least it used to be, not sure now. I wanted a touring seat for my Road King, looked at the Mustang, got a great deal on a Harley touring seat for the RK, should have went with the Mustang, maybe in the future. The HD seat is ok with the rider backrest, and I can go all day on it, my butt does feel it sometimes, the girl friend likes the comfort of the backseat of the HD, but I know the Mustang would be a better fit for the both of us.

All for now JD Trampas

KK I put a mustang on my sportster and a lapera on the dyna. Both were very good quality and a big improvement over stock. That said my current C50 has an OEM with the gel thats as good as the mustang, might take a look at the dealer as well and see if they have something on the floor you can park your bacskside on for a bit.

KK,

I had a Mustang seat with backrest on my Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic and it did not help me. It allowed my hips to roll forward which caused pain to my lower back. Even with highway bars and the backrest I was only good for a couple hundred miles.

For that kind of money I would suggest looking at a true custom seat - one made for your weight, inseam, & sitting position.

I have a Bill Mayer Saddle on my Yamaha FJR and have made many iron-butt runs from VA to MS and back.

Three custom seat makers that I am familiar with are Russel Day-Long, Bill Mayer, and Rick Mayer.

Go for the Mustang.

I put one on my Harley Sportster, and it made all the difference in the world. I rode it all day and no numb butt after the ride. The touring saddle is fully supported with a steal frame so it doesn't droop after years of use. You wont be sorry.

Dutchman

KK, the Russell Day Long is the popularly acclaimed best seat in the business, but it is very $$$$.

In the next tier down are the Mustang and Ultimate Motorcycle Seats

Anything below that you aren't gonna be interested in.

I've done my diligence and found a dealer that was at a good price. To top it off he gave me an additional 10% veteran discount. I'm just going to do the front and back without the backrest. It looks like the way the passenger seat overlaps the front that that will be adequate lumbar support.

If I ever take a long trip I'll either have a passenger to lean on or luggage.

Thanks all for your comments.

KK

I'll just mention one thing - I've ridden my bike with and without a backrest. I will never willingly ride a bike without a backrest again.

KK, you are thinking just right, now with the RK, I need the back rest on long hauls, now the softtail has enough up sweep on the seat to cover my lumbar, if I'm doing long distance on the softtail and I have a passenger, that works fine, if not, I take the T-bag and turn it so it sits on the passenger seat and have a complete support for the back and have did that for many miles with no problems.

Enjoy your new seat, you didn't say what seat you got, just curious??

All for now JD Trampas

Archived