SASS Wire Forum

Ruger cylinder locking problem

Shootin Straight

Okay, so I took my Ruger Single six apart, to clean and polish. Now when it goes back together, I can't get the cylinder locking pawl - the silver thing that lock the cylinder in place, to actually lock the cylinder. I don't see any parts missing. It appears as though a spring is not holding it in place with enough pressure. There is the plunger spring thing on the hammer, but not sure that it is suppose to hold it for that purpose? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Shootin Straight

Got your parts misnamed, but I think you are talking about the cylinder locking bolt. When you put the trigger guard back on the plunger slipped off the bolt. You have to take the grip frame back off, make sure the plunger and spring are in place and try again. Without the cylinder in the gun you should be able to press on the bolt head where it sticks up through the frame and feel the spring tension.

Howdy

There is a spring plunger located in a hole in the trigger guard. That is the spring that puts upward pressure on the cylinder latch (the part that locks the cylinder in place). It is easy to pinch this spring when reassembling a Ruger. It is also easy to put the gun back together without the spring oriented properly. Take the gun apart again and make sure this spring and its plunger are properly located so the plunger is putting upward pressure on the cylinder latch. The small spring plunger in the hammer is not the problem, but do make sure it operates freely. Sometimes a burr develops in the hole for this plunger, causing it to bind. Flick this plunger a few times to make sure it pops back smartly.

The manual that came with your Ruger has excellent instructions and pictures for taking a Ruger apart and putting it back together again. If you lost your manual, Ruger will send you another one for free. You can also download one from the Ruger website. Go to their website and click on Customer Service. All the manuals are in the pull down menue.

The manual that came with your Ruger has excellent instructions and pictures for taking a Ruger apart and putting it back together again. If you lost your manual, Ruger will send you another one for free. You can also download one from the Ruger website. Go to their website and click on Customer Service. All the manuals are in the pull down menu.

Have we talked about reference manuals before, again and again? <_<:D

Archived