SASS Wire Forum

revolver suggestions needed

evil dogooder

Driftwood;

I spent 30 minutes and found a dozen 3 screw Blackhawks for sale. I linked 3 of them in 1 post. Then upon finding out about the LAW in Mass. I posted a link to a 3 screw .357 Blackhawk made in 1956 which would be right up your alley. Able to import into the state and make a .44 spl out of. You make fun of people saying they're dropping out of the sky and tripping on them. You really have no idea about a SoCal gun show.

This is Calif. with 35 million people and not resume speed Poedunkvilles in Mass. or Mn. Lots of guns here. If the OP wants one, well they are out there. I think he'll figure out something by himself.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. Colt didn't add VP until 1904. Neener Neener. I'm going back over to the Saloon (ACS) it's friendly over there.

Howdy Jake

Thanks for the link. So far I have never bought a gun sight unseen. I am a bit reluctant to do so, particularly over the internet. But I will investigate that option because here in Podunk most of our gunshows only have two or three tables.* Except for West Springfield which takes me a couple of hours to work my way through.

*Not really, but I thought that would make you feel good.

I have both a GP100 in .357 and a new model blackhawk in .41 mag. Both are great and accurate guns. I am pretty sure here in WA .357 isn't a legal hunting round so the GP100 is just my target and home gun. The blackhawk is the hunting sidearm and backup gun. Never used it alone for hunting but wouldn't hesitate to do so. I haven't had any issue finding ammo but then again I only buy ammo for it about once a year. Never had any issue with transfer bars breaking either. Has always been a dependable gun. I am actually thinking of trading it off as I haven't gone hunting for many years now.

Made a call to the local gun shop and guess what. He's got a three screw 357 with custom 7" bull barrel just sitting all lonely in the case. I may have to go rescue it after work

Driftwood; I'm sorry I misspelled Podunkville, I put in an E, oops. :lol: I love your 1901. Show me!!!

Big Jake

The show I was at had three hundred but mostly shotguns imports or black guns. The few tables that had cowboy stuff was all original very high priced. I saw a bunch of new model blackhawks but I'm just a little burned on then right now

Well I've done and had it with my ruger blackhawk. This is the third time this summer the transfer bar as snapped. I'm sick of all the bull sending it back and fourth. I've only fired 5 rounds through it this summer no dry firing.

So anyway I'm looking for a new hunting rig. Any suggestions? Calibers I'm open to are 357 and 45 lc as that is what I already have. Not interested in 44 mag. Just dont care for it. I had one and sold it first season i used it. Don't care about barrel length. Double or single action doesn't matter I use iron sights so it doesn't have to have scope mounts. Ill be trading the new blackhawk in on it with maybe a little cash on the side so that is the price I'm looking for.

Any help is welcome

Thanks

Evil dogooder

If the $$$ are there. Look at Freedom Arms .454 Casull. :FlagAm:

You can load it with .45 Colt dies and it will stop a planet :lol:

It's the finest made/fitted handgun I have ever owned. ;)

Respectfully,

LG

Ruger improved the mainspring/trigger return spring setup in the Redhawk about three years ago. The newer guns are much better. The .45 Colts can be had in barrels from 2-1/2" to 7-1/2". Nice guns that run in the $650 range for new.

I agree with others that there is something wrong with your Blackhawk. I have owned and shot many Blackhawks, Vaqueros and Single-Sixes with the transfer bar with ne'er an issue. I would keep pluggin away with Ruger on this gun but look for a second gun.

My field gun is a S&W 625-4 in .45 ACP with a 5" barrel and slick tuning job. It runs 2" groups at 25 yards with 230 grain hard cast bullets at 1050 FPS. I keep it to 50 yards and hunt like I do in bow season.

I also have a OMV in .45 that will hold 3" groups at 25 yards with 225 XTP's at over 1250 fps. I have never used it as a field gun but it would do well. I might een try it with the 270-300 grain bullets since it is the larger/stronger frame than the new model Vaquero.

When I did hunt with a .357 Ruger Bisley, my laods were 180-grain jacketed softpoints at 1250 fps. Leave the lighter bullets practice and tactical stuff.

First of all, if one does not handload the 41 Magnum is an unwise choice.

Now, there are not many 45 LC guns out there that are not Rugers. Again, the 45 is a cartrige that benefits from handloading...esp for hunting loads. Out.

This leaves the 357 magnum. It is an excellent choice as the ammo is readily available and capable of versitile performance.

My recommendation is to find a used L-frame or N-frame S&W. You may go for blue, nickle, or stainless and you would likely be better off with a 5" bbl or longer. You should be able to round one up for under $600 on the used market. The L-frame would come in the form of a Model 586 or 686 and you might find a good N-frame as a M-27, model 28, or model 627. You will be highly satisfied with any of these. :FlagAm:

TJB

Please explain how to get a non-Mass Compliant handgun legally shipped to Mass. No FFL will knowingly accept one for transfer. If I were to find one made at least 50 years ago (1961) I could legally buy it on my C&R license. But if it was not grandfathered in by being registered in Mass prior to October of 1998, no single action cartridge revolver can be legally transferred into this state. You should know that. I am limited to looking for guns that were already here in Mass prior to Oct. 1998, and I can tell you they are scarce as hen's teeth. A friend in NH had one last year that I would have dearly loved to buy, but it could not be legally transferred here.

I may start snooping around out of state for one made in 1961 or before and see if I can do a C&R purchase.

I would love to find a three screw chambered for 357 Mag. I would send it off to one of the custom pistol smiths and have it rechambered for 44 Special. That's what I wanted to do with the one my friend could not sell me.

Diftwood, I bought one of the new flattop Ruger 44 Specials and absolutely LOVE it. If the fine state of Mass would be so kind as to trust one of its subjects with such a dangerous weapon, then you should consider picking one up rather than going through the expense of messing with a 3-screw.

TJB

Please explain how to get a non-Mass Compliant handgun legally shipped to Mass. No FFL will knowingly accept one for transfer. If I were to find one made at least 50 years ago (1961) I could legally buy it on my C&R license. But if it was not grandfathered in by being registered in Mass prior to October of 1998, no single action cartridge revolver can be legally transferred into this state. You should know that. I am limited to looking for guns that were already here in Mass prior to Oct. 1998, and I can tell you they are scarce as hen's teeth. A friend in NH had one last year that I would have dearly loved to buy, but it could not be legally transferred here.

I may start snooping around out of state for one made in 1961 or before and see if I can do a C&R purchase.

I would love to find a three screw chambered for 357 Mag. I would send it off to one of the custom pistol smiths and have it rechambered for 44 Special. That's what I wanted to do with the one my friend could not sell me.

I feel your pain, but I'd think it would be easier to relocate yourself to a more gun friendly environment. Having said that -- I'm IN gun friendly environment, and there isn't anything like a "plethora" of three-screw Rugers available around here. You can make book on that.

"DOG PILE, EVERYONE JUMP ON BIG JAKE" I guess I'm going to have to go to 5-6 gunshows and take pictures of all the "3 screws" and post them for all you to see. The OP said he went to a gun show and there were 300 guns and most were shotguns and "BLACK" guns.

Orange County Gun Shows have 4 buildings with dealers that have 1-4 tables each, covered with guns. 350-500 tables per building with areas in between building covered with guns. I'll bet I see 5-10 Ruger 3 screws guns at each show. 7000-10,000 guns at show.

Driftwood says that the guns haven't been made since the mid seventy's...OK... what about the thousands of WWII guns at each show?

They haven't been made since the 30's and 40's...but there they are...for sale...just like the newer Ruger 3 screws. I have mine, get yours....If you can find one....cuz there as scarce as hens teeth. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just sayin'

Big Jake

"DOG PILE, EVERYONE JUMP ON BIG JAKE" I guess I'm going to have to go to 5-6 gunshows and take pictures of all the "3 screws" and post them for all you to see. The OP said he went to a gun show and there were 300 guns and most were shotguns and "BLACK" guns.i

Orange County Gun Shows have 4 buildings with dealers that have 1-4 tables each, covered with guns. 350-500 tables per building with areas in between building covered with guns. I'll bet I see 5-10 Ruger 3 screws guns at each show. 7000-10,000 guns at show.

Driftwood says that the guns haven't been made since the mid seventy's...OK... what about the thousands of WWII guns at each show?

They haven't been made since the 30's and 40's...but there they are...for sale...just like the newer Ruger 3 screws. I have mine, get yours....If you can find one....cuz there as scarce as hens teeth. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just sayin'

Big Jake

Big jake I wasn't trying to dispute you. I believe you. I wish I could go to one of your gun shows but its a bit of a drive from Minnesota. Plus my wife would never let me drive that far for a gun purchase :)

By the way I ment 300 tables. Its a small gun show. In march is the big show for. Mn held in a sports arena . Which has a few thousand tables, but I have never gone to it.

Still looking but I've narrowed down the criteria. Six inch barrel double action 357 now I just have to pick one out

Thanks for all the advice

Ok update I went to trade tge blackhawk off ... just couldn't do it.. so I'm going to one last chance.

So I want to send it to a good smith to get it fixed right. Now the question is, who should I send it to? Is anyone going tobe able to fix it and get it back before nov 4 for hunting?

Archived