SASS Wire Forum

Loading with Clays for 44-40

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

I am getting ready for some WB shooting and I must admit I was being lazy.For the record I am card carrying "Darksider". Normally this 66 is fed a strict diet of Goex 2f.My powder measure had Clays in there as I use that for my 1911.SO I checked the data for 44-40 and went with the mid range load.So I am not sure as to what to expect.Any thoughts or shared experiences would be appreciated.When I do use smokeless it is usually Trail Boss which my friend has a square deal setup for that so I just bring over the powder and some primers.

Thanks

Hochbauer :FlagAm:

I am getting ready for some WB shooting and I must admit I was being lazy.For the record I am card carrying "Darksider". Normally this 66 is fed a strict diet of Goex 2f.My powder measure had Clays in there as I use that for my 1911.SO I checked the data for 44-40 and went with the mid range load.So I am not sure as to what to expect.Any thoughts or shared experiences would be appreciated.When I do use smokeless it is usually Trail Boss which my friend has a square deal setup for that so I just bring over the powder and some primers.

Thanks Hochbauer :FlagAm:

I use Hodgdon's top listed load of Clays behind a 200 Gr. RNFP bullet, to get good obturation of the case, which produces little blow-back in my Marlin Cowboy limited in 45 Long Colt. Accuracy is excellent and overall performance is quite good.

I would think the same "Top Listed" load from Hodgdon for the 44-40, with a 200 Gr. RNFP bullet, (Listed Vel. is 765 FPS, for a PF of 153), would be a great load. At that velocity, recoil would be near non-existant, and I would expect accuracy to be very acceptable. Load data is listed in the Hodgdon Basic Reloading manual under Cowboy Action Data, and is also available on line.

RBK

Mid range might be a tad stiff.Fine for 100yds and out,but for what we do...low end works just fine.

Actually, Hodgdon's "Top Load" listed for Cowboy Action, is anything but stiff for that caliber, and I don't see using anything less. That top load is only 765 FPS and chamber pressure is a mild 11,700 PSI. Standard Rifle loads for the 44-40 run in the area of approx 1200 FPS and 13,000 plus chamber pressure for the weaker actions like the Winchester 1873, and for the stronger actions like the Marlin 1894, velocity's run as high as 1600 FPS and 19,000 plus chamber pressure.

Their Cowboy Action loads are reasonably mild, even at their top recommendation.

RBK

I know what you mean about using that passing fad smokeless stuff :o I have to apologize to the 44/40 every time use it ;) , but I love shootin WB :D . When I did use Clays I always loaded near the middle+, worked good, not to hot, not to light. I now use Red Dot for my other than BP stuff. Check out Hodgdons Basic Manual PDF, Cowboy Data starts on page 30. Good Luck :)

Hodgdon Basic PDF

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I use Hodgdon's Cowboy Action Loading mid range load of Clays in .44 Mag. cases with 200 gr. RNFP for CAS in both pistols and rifle. It isn't what I would call a mouse fart load, but for both close and longer ranges, I like it. I haven't tried the low end of the listing.

Siesta

When I do load smokeless in .44-40 I use Tite-Group, seems like a little more "bang" fer yer buck. The only time I use .44-40 in smokeyless is when I shoot WB. Otherwise it's BP all the way!:ph34r: Rye

Archived