SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone heard of this

JD Trampas, SASS # 55781

Ok, my girl friend and I have norton interent security, it has expired, she decided to renew online, when she got done, they sent her a e-mail saying it would be 4 to 8 hours, have never seen that before and neither has she, she has did online before to renew with no problems. Ok, 24 hours later still no program, she went online and got a number to call, it directed her to a site called iyogi. She talked to the guy, he ask her for control of her pc, against my judgement, anyway, he found over 2,000 errors and 267 virus. She ended up buying the iyogi software which scans and fixes errors I guess, makes the pc run at the speed it should. Then they contacted norton and had a 3 way,now it will be 24 hours before she gets the norton product, don't ask me why. They ended up downloading a anti virus program from avira I think until she gets norton interent security, all of this took 2 hours or more on the phone, I might add 2 phones, the battery went dead in the first one. Oh by the way, the iyogi software costs her $169.99

My self I didn't renew online, I'll wait for the disc, so far i downloaded a free version and it seems to be working just fine for me. I might just stay with it also since it is free.

So does any of you pc gurus heard of this program???

All for now JD Trampas

...directed her to a site called iyogi. ..the iyogi software costs her $169.99...So does any of you pc gurus heard of this program???

The $170 is not for software. it is for 1 year of tech support

I think the virus/anti-virus is a racket. I can get any of the pay ones for free from work and have tried them all but all of them take up too many resources. I've settled on Avast Free version for the last three years and have not looked back.

Willy

JD

You don't say whether you went directly to the Norton website or some popup came up telling you your computer virus software had expired.

In the latter case (with the popup) that could have been a malware program just pretending your virus software had expired to get you to click on the official LOOKING link to "Norton".

They then send you off to another virus software company that sells you their brand.

Many times Brand X is actually installing trojan horses and all kinds of badware on your computer.

I agree in part with Wagon Box Willy that Anti-Virus software has gotten to be scammy in and of itself.

I use AVG free version and haven't had a problem in 3 years.

Brother-in-law put Norton corporate version on previous computer and it was full of viruses within 6 months.

I strongly suggest you get the Avast or AVG free version.

Never give control to your computer to someone you don't know.

Feel free to PM me.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

She didn't deal directly with Norton, but instead got scammed by a third party vendor. I've used Norton for as many as 3 PCs at a time for 10 years, ALWAYS renewed online, directly from my Norton software (not a web link), and never had any issues. I've even called and got a real person to trigger a replacement activation for a PC that we replaced, and the nice Indian fellow simply reset my account.... NOBODY ever needs to allow someone to "access your pc" to do any of the above...... I guardandamnteeya if ya do, and it's a third party vendor, they will install some cookies or other malware that they then tell you needs to be cleansed at great cost.

JD

I would call them back and ask them to issue you a refund.

They will probably refuse. Call your credit card company and let them know what happened.

The CC company may even want to issue you a new card.

You will also need to get some real virus software IE norton or avast or avg and run it asap.

Hoping for the best for you pard.

Waimea

JD

I would call them back and ask them to issue you a refund.

They will probably refuse. Call your credit card company and let them know what happened.

The CC company may even want to issue you a new card.

You will also need to get some real virus software IE norton or avast or avg and run it asap.

Hoping for the best for you pard.

Waimea

This is what has happened. You got scammed. Follow the above directions. We have not bought any anti-virus software for 3 years as there is FREE programs from Micro-Soft and others that has prevented any problems. The Norton, Kasparsky, and others only slows down the computer.

Thanks for all the replies, I kept telling my girl friend not to do it, as in letting someone control her pc to help her, she didn't listen, it's her pc, guess time will tell if anything happens, as was stated in my first post, she went off the software installed to renew but it didn't take for some reason, she did get a e-mail that it would be 4 to 8 hours which didn't happen either.

The Norton Internet Security was going to expire, it has been a year since I bought the disc, I checked my records and it was a year, not sure why she couldn't renew using the program.

Also told her not to buy the iyogi stuff which she didn't listen to that either, she is as stubborn as I am, I took the norton off of my pc when it expired or quit working, which ever, I ended up downloading the mirosoft security essentials for now, which seems to be working just fine for me. I told her to do the same, didn't listen, so will see how her outcome with her pc

All for now JD Trampas

JD, even though this thread belongs in the Saloon ... your girl friend got ripped off.

Free downloads that are the cat's meow: Avast - SpyBot - Anti-Malware. And CrossLoop Connect if you run into problems and have to have a service technician dial into your computer.

Since you don't have software to clean up your register, might want to also consider RegistryBooster, a top rated software

Get a Mac,

Or, NEVER Open ANY 'click here' offer that comes to you via e-mail.

Like: " xxx pills cheep..."

"get FREE $100.00 Walmart, (or any other place) gift card"

" .. I am Albou Jabba and nave need to transfet 0ne Millon dolers to you in the US..."

"... your credit card order of $235.45 has been charged and shipped, if this is not your charge, 'click here'..."

You get the idea.

NEVER click on ANY e-mail ULR address you get and go to a unknowen web site.

NEVER, give out your CC, SS, number, phone address, etc. The Legitimate places that need these things, will NEVER send you a e-mail asking for that info. If a legitimate place does need that info, they may send you a e-mail, BUT THEIR WILL BE NO LINK in it, they will tell you to go to their web site, and do the required thing.

The people that complain that they got their 'identity stolen', or their money stolen, I don't feel sorry for. It was Not Stolen, That Person, GAVE it to them.

NEVER, 'Sign Up' for something, 'free'. If you do sign up for something, (like this web site forum) make SURE, you read the Privacy Notice. READ IT !!!!!! Many times it says, (buried in the crap LAWYER type talk), "...participating venders..." or "... 3rd party associates..." or something like that. That means, that place, SELLS your E-mail, so you get MORE of the: "...I am abdol Jabouls I hve one millioon dolers to ..."

The WWW is a wonderful place, Lots of good information, but STILL, a very high, "noise to signal" ratio.

Ya Don't drive a car with your eyes closed, don't do it on a computer !

John Boy, please explain why this post should be in the Saloon, I always post here in the Wire, very seldom post in the Saloon, and besides I have a right to post this subject where I want and when I want, if it is not suitable to post here, then the moderators will put it where it belongs. The Wire gets more exposure and that is what I wanted to found out about this subject, take it or leave it.

Sorry if this offends you that I posted something I wanted to know about or somebody knows about, but I figured the Wire was the place to post it, not the Saloon

All for now JD Trampas

The best advice offered so far is GET A MAC. Every mac head will tell you there is no real reason to even run an antivirus software on your Mac. If it makes you feel more comfortable to have one there are a couple of free ones that out perform any of the commercial programs. I have been on my mac for three years now with out any antivirus software. Just for grins I down loaded one and ran it. CLEAN!

Kace

John Boy, please explain why this post should be in the Saloon

SASS Wire Saloon Guidelines

The SASS Wire Saloon is the Social Gathering Spot to discuss topics not directly related to shooting in SASS Cowboy Action Shooting.

... but I figured the Wire was the place to post it, not the Saloon

Put JD down with a procedural!

... and JD - Others and I didn't get a Thank You from you for saving you 170 bucks?

Free downloads that are the cat's meow: Avast - SpyBot - Anti-Malware. And CrossLoop Connect if you run into problems and have to have a service technician dial into your computer.

Since you don't have software to clean up your register, might want to also consider RegistryBooster, a top rated software

Mark JD down with a Spirit of the Game procedural too! :D

JD, forgot one other cost expense that you were saved seeking free advice that was provided freely by all also... the approx 200 bucks at the repair store to fix your screwed up computer for not downloading free top rated antivirus and malware software as a preventative measure

Point taken John Boy, but will still post where I want, like I said if the moderators want to move it, they can. Now as for saving me $170, I didn't do it, never heard of that program, so I was leery to begin with, and kept telling her the same thing. You might want to look at other peoples posts and see if they are related to cowboy or not, you just might find some are not, must be good friends of yours.

Now for the update, my girl friend called and cancelled the order for iyogi, she also deleted the anti virus that they recommended, she then went and downloaded Microsoft Internet Security.

So I guess I will take the time and say THANK YOU FOR ALL THE REPLIES from all of the cowboy's that didn't care if it was in the Wire or Saloon

John Boy, I will take the P and the spirit of the game P, no problems at all

All for now JD Trampas

Archived