SASS Wire Forum

"Up Periscope" time....

Okay, so I have a very dear friend (who reads the Wire faithfully) who is scheduled for a routine colonoscopy this coming Monday... and is downright apprehensive.

Any words of encouragement and reassurement from those who've "been there...?" :)

Okay, so I have a very dear friend (who reads the Wire faithfully) who is scheduled for a routine colonoscopy this coming Monday... and is downright apprehensive.

Any words of encouragement and reassurement from those who've "been there...?" :)

I just had my first one a few months ago. Had a Sigmoidoscopy 5 years ago without any sedative, (18 inches).

I asked the Doctor if I could have it without a sedative again. He used a Pediatric scope (smaller diameter) and 5 feet long instead of 6 feet. Everything was fine and I got to drive home. Sedative makes a 1-2 hour wait and a driver needed to get home.

Big Jake

P.S. Being awake lets you see the whole thing on the monitor and ask questions. Doesn't hurt but the clean out the day before is the "Sh!ts"

Words of encouragement.. okay.. take a friend, let them drive home and beg for scotch.. lol.... Just kidding... I hate the test, did it once and never did it again. Cancer in our family has been mostly prostate, and colon if you live that long.... About 90... since I am not in danger of either.. I ignore fate,.. My father is 91 soon to be 92 in Nov. he has to take the test now, had colon cancer a while back and they did a resection... He says take your own movies, theirs are horrible.. lol

As others have said, its no big deal. I've had four or five of them over the past twenty years.

The prep, however, is no fun at all! I've had mine done under various levels of sedation (mostly what they call "twilight sleep") and am pretty sure don't want to be fully awake for the procedure!

Hardpan

I just had mine a couple of months ago. I also had a sigmoid. and the colon. was actually easier. The "GoLitely" is not nearly as nasty tasting, and the "results" are not as bad. I only had about 3 trips to the head, and that was it.

As for the event itself, it was a snap (this from a guy who even tho spent 43 years working in hospitals has an insaine fear of them and operations.

If ya had any specific questions drop a emule:

sdough@earthlink.net

curley who is prob. going for the gal bladder job next week.

I've had 3 since December. Not a particularly big deal. I prefer to be sedated. I might hear someone make rude comments if I was in the twilight sleep mode so I figger what I don't hear won't hurt me. ;)

The procedure is nothing. It's the prep the day before....

I am at risk because of my dad... BUT (no pun intended), I am one of those where the drugs don't do much... The last one I had, I was awake during most of it and helping the nurse route hoses... That being said, it was no big deal... I probably could have driven myself home following... luckily, I had Ms. Maggie there... Nothing to worry about and if you are over 50, you NEED to have this done... Cowboy up... it's no big deal...

Vaya con Dios

Well, the prep is the worst of it. But then you get squeaky clean. :rolleyes:

The up side of it is that you get some very interesting 8 x 10 glossies to put on your desk.

I have had two and get another in a year or so.

It can save your life. It did mine.

Like others have said, the prep is worse than the procedure. I was given mag citrate, but I hear they have more pleasant preparations now. But whatever the prep or apprehensions, have it done. Colon cancer is no joke. I had 6 polyps that could have become cancer. My next colonoscopy will be in 3 years.

Dear Hardpan,

Like they said, the worst is the prep. It could save your life. Then, you probably know that.

Hubby was lucky. He just had some polyps that were removed during the procedure. So, the earlier they are caught the better. That surgery and recovery was not fun for me.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Foks, I have to confess that the person Hardpan is talking about is yours truly. Kaiser is bugging me to have this test for no reason other than my age. I have no family history, no symptoms, nothing. Anyway, I finally gave up the fight and agreed to go into the chamber of horrors. Actually, my apprehension is decreasing as the test gets closer.

I've been through the cleansing process before and it gave me the migraine from hell. It was so bad and I was so nauseated that after going through the entire prep, I couldn't get out of bed to take the test.

Anyway, hopefuly it'll be better this time. Thanks for all your encouragement. I know I won't be sorry.

The first time I took the "plunge", I was very wise. They gave me the five gallon can of what ever that vile stuff is, to drink, and they offered me a selection of "flavors" to sweeten the deal. Being the jenuis I am, I selected the Pineapple flavor, since I like pineapple. I do not know where they got those pineapples. It certainly was not from Hawaii or south America or even another pacific island.

No, these must have come from hell. That was the most vile and disgusting taste. It lasted long after the procedure was over. Maybe next time I will ask for the beer flavored.

Good luck to you Mz. Brimstone.

I had my periscope adventure last summer. Prep was 2 dulcolax and drink only half of the gallon of lemon Tide.

That was the worst part. They put me out for the procedure and I woke up in recovery 30 minutes later. The wife says the worst part was when I asked the Doc to tell her my head wasn't up there. I don't remember that at all.

There is issues on my mothers side of the family, I got the all clear, come see us again in 5 years. Whoopee!

Good Luck,

Jake

It's slightly preferable to a laminectomy. :angry: All of it.

1. Tell them to carefully calculate the Demerol and Versed dose. Then double it.

2. Avoid the pineapple flavored buzzard p*ss like the plague (I at least knew this one thanks to my RN wife)

3. If you have colorectal cancer your chances of survival are best if detected early.

4. Tell the gastro doc NOT to use the 'scope marked "For large animals only" I think the one they used on me was mounted to the barrel of a baseball bat or a length of 3" drill pipe, but I'm not sure. Couldn't see "back there" :angry: Although I did watch the whole affair in living color on the monitor. When I DID get a bit drowsy the $#%^& nurse would shake me and say "Are you OK?" No. But I'd be more OK if you'd at least let me go to (*& sleep!

JHC

Had them done so many times I can't remember how many.

NO BIGGIE.

It is a necessary thing to do health wise.

Lot better than having your whole large insestine yanked out..trust me on that!!

And you know what that leads to?

If you don't know.. Google it!

Since I had it done My life has been a whole lot better.

BUT I HAD TO.

It is only one day out of 365 1/4!

IMHO ;)

Armed with the information you've all so graciously shared with me, I will drink the vile, cursed witch's brew and undergo the procedure with minimal fear or apprehension. By the way, I LOATHE and DESPISE going to the doctor, even for routine visits. If all goes well, it'll be another 10 years before they start bugging me again for the privilege of viewing the nooks and crannies of my colon.

Thanks again to all of you!!

I forgot to mention that when I had my Sigmoid (that is the short hose...) The doc that did the proceedure was GramaPhyllis' doc, and we talked about her all the time we were watching the tv episode of "gold fever" up my behind. I finally said aren't we just a little too comfortable here...........heheh

And then she told me that I did an excellent job of cleaning out. And I told her that was because I did that for a living. Later I realized that I probably should have explained that to her. During my 43 years woring with Developmentally Disabled persons, I got real good at suppositories and enemas..

Seriously Your fear can not possible exceed mine, and it was ok....the fear and waiting was the worst part. Even worse than the prep.

so good luck. Bring pix back, you know how I am about pix..

curley

Good luck Doll,

I've had two, no big deal. The prep is getting better though, this last time it only tasted like lemon pledge flavored cream soda. Just don't get too far from the out house.

Let us know the outcome, and heres looking at ten years until the next one.

Dutchman

Had one earlier this year - don't get the wrong idea about me, but the actual exam wasn't unpleasant at all. :lol: The Nulytely colon cleansing stuff isn't THAT bad... at first...

Be sure to buy a roll of extra soft, aloe treated TP, and don't get far from the throne room!

For your edification and enjoyment

go to my public cloud file folder at https://public.me.com/windshadow

and select the file Colo-rectalSurgeon(1).wav

as i could not get the video to display

http://youtu.be/otcVrKomXbk

then click on the download button the you will see under it :rolleyes:

if someone invents a way to make that vile drink palatable they will make a lot of money!

oh and this one too might calm you down in a puff the magic dragon way :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/JqvpfrnmJrg

and you might also like Bill Engvall's routine

http://youtu.be/ZndnyK1OHdY

I used the orange flavor packet on the Nulytely, it really didn't taste that bad. You just get REAL tired of drinking it every 15 min. That 15 min. gets shorter and shorter, especially after the first 3 liters.

JHC

Don't know if this thread's still alive, but I wanted to let everyone know that everything went uneventfully. The prep was, of course, nasty but I got through it with little more than an annoying headache. I wasn't the least bit nervous going into the procedure, There was absolutely no discomfort and it went and without a hitch. Also, thankfully, negative for anything serious. The medication was nice and when Hardpan came to fetch me afterward, I was just a little groggy but quite coherent. Anyway, I'm so glad it's over. You nice folks took all the apprehension out of it and I can't thank you enough for that, God bless!!:lol:

Thanks for the update darlin. I'm so glad you went and that the results were so good.

It's a shame such a stigma is associated with the procedure. It saves a lot of lives, and could save more if people would just have this simple test. Congrat's again doll, and lets hope when our turn rolls around again, (mine was last year), the prep will taste just a little bit better.

Dutchman

Way to go girl

say a prayer fer me...My bday tomorrow (Tuesday) and on Thursday I go see the doc about possible gal stones and am gonna talk about my shoulder pain/frozen shoulder.

curley

Curley, a BIG ol' HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ya...!! :lol:

And you'll definitely be in our prayers for Thursday and whatever follows... ;)

Good news is always welcome, Helen. Glad the procedure went so well and that everyhing is OK.

Archived