SASS Wire Forum

QUESTION

Ace_of_Hearts

I read somewhere that a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine was the first gun fired in a SASS match.

Can anyone confirm this?

Remember, they "run what they brung" in those days. Yer talking a bunch of IPSC shooters who had a brainy idea to take their cowboy guns out to play. They never dreamed it'd catch on like this I don't think. But like any organization, growth necessitated rules.....

Yep, thass whut I always heered.

Kinda ironic that gun is illegal for SASS shootin' now tho, ain't it.

We used to shoot Winchester '94's and '86's in 30-30, 45-70 too. Main match was "Run whatcha Brung"

You have to remember End of Trail started in 1982 and had monthly shoots for years before SASS started. Late 1987.

The targets were different too, sometimes just a paper pie plate taped to a hole in a door or a Buffalo.

When we went to poured or cast steel targets, we started to notice them getting pock marks and bent from all

the hits.

This started causing bounce backs and us rethinking the kind of steel to use. That's when we started using AR steel,

Abrasion Resistant and thinner than the cast steel, but doesn't pock. I remember testing the AR with all the pistol cals, nothing would hurt it. A .264 Win Mag punched a hole clean through.

I still have the old steel targets in my garage and take them out with me

when Big Medicine #19 or McShagnasty #452 goes with me out shooting.

Sass made rules and we changed to "Pistol Only" calibers for our main match rifles, making the rifles use to "Long Range Only".

The 30-30 was a pain because most had carbines, not rifles and held 6-7 rounds. With a 10 shot stage, you would shoot 7, yell

"STOP" the timer would stop the stop watch, you would reload 3 more rounds and yell "GO" He would start the watch again. We didn't have too many electronic timers back then. Just sayin'

Big Jake

WOW Jake....great blast from the past..........

It is good to hear folks who were in at the beginning tell some of the things that happened.....

Kinda helps keep the rumor mongers at bay........and gives folks a perspective on how our "Fantasy Sport" evolved...

And as for all the folks who want to change it......well...........that's another post...... ;)

Regards.....Wolf

WOW Jake....great blast from the past..........

It is good to hear folks who were in at the beginning tell some of the things that happened.....

Kinda helps keep the rumor mongers at bay........and gives folks a perspective on how our "Fantasy Sport" evolved...

And as for all the folks who want to change it......well...........that's another post...... ;)

Regards.....Wolf

I wasn't there from the beginning of CAS(1982)End of Trail, but came in 1985 End of Trail as my first shoot.

Lots of people think SASS started the same time, but really came about to make it something someone could join and be a part of.

I remember some of us saying "Why pay $$$ to join something that wasn't going to grow or last" 6 months later we all joined.

End of Trail

An "A" package with meals was $100. A "B" package w/out meals was $80. Monthly shoots were $6-$7. Later $10 with lunch.

Big Jake

I read somewhere that a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine was the first gun fired in a SASS match.

Can anyone confirm this?

I don't know about the 1st SASS match, but the 30 carbine Blackhawk was the 1st pistols I used in my 1st SASS match......I know, illegal......they cut me some leeway being a new shooter and all.

Sun

Can anyone confirm this?

Was it the first SASS match or first CAS match? There is a several year difference.

Was it the first SASS match or first CAS match? There is a several year difference.

I believe he means first (CAS) Cowboy Action Shooting match which was End of Trail 1982.

Like I said above, most people think SASS started with the first EoT. It was more than 6 EoT's before SASS started.

What SASS needs and doesn't have is a Historian to put all of this down for Pards and Pardettes to read.

There will be a quiz. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Can anyone confirm this?

If my source is to be trusted it is the caliber the overall WINNER of EOT, 1982, used...A pard by the alias of "Gutz Gosnell", whether he used it in the first matches run by the Judge and Ol' Mose abt., 1979 is info I've never heard. Big Jake is correct about the balance.

I would love to shoot rifle cartridges in the rifle portion of the shoot!

Well, even tho' I'd loaded my .30-30s down to about 1100fps, I didn't look forward to loading 3 more on every 10 shot rifle string. I didn't have the opportunity, they'd outlawed rifle cartridges and I had to borrow someone's pistol-caliber rifle.

What I miss is the single handgun. Maybe, I'll just start carrying one and reloading... that'll assure me of last place! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived