SASS Wire Forum

Re-Sizing all brass 10g hulls

Chantry

I've acquired a number of brass Rocky Mountain 10g hulls and have about a haf dozen that don't want to go into the chambers of my shotgun as they are too tight. Is there an way of re-sizing them to fit my shotgun?

I've acquired a number of brass Rocky Mountain 10g hulls and have about a haf dozen that don't want to go into the chambers of my shotgun as they are too tight. Is there an way of re-sizing them to fit my shotgun?

go to rocky mountain cartridge and purchase the 10 ga resizing and reloading kit. Problem solved! :lol:

I took a big ol' nut, chucked in the lathe, turned the inside to... I don't remember... welded it to a plate, and polished everything up. I tap the hulls into the hole up to the rim, then tap 'em back out with a dowel. Keep them in the same shotgun, preferably even the same chambers, and they don't need sizing very often.

go to rocky mountain cartridge and purchase the 10 ga resizing and reloading kit. Problem solved! :lol:

There is a reloading kit on their website, but nothing to re-size the hulls.

RMC all brass shells are CNC made. you can not re-size them as we do the mag-tech's.

When you order RMC's you give them the chamber deminsions you require for your particular piece.

If you have a non standard chamber, my suggestion is you ream the chamber to fit the shell.

RMC all brass shells are CNC made. you can not re-size them as we do the mag-tech's.

When you order RMC's you give them the chamber deminsions you require for your particular piece.

If you have a non standard chamber, my suggestion is you ream the chamber to fit the shell.

I got 38 of them used, all with the same custom headstamp, most of them fall in and out just fine, but I have maybe 6-8 that won't, don't think the shotgun has a non standard chamber

You don't say what kind of powder, smokeless or BP your using. I used to shoot a 10 gauge gun with the brass hulls. I found that, when using BP, there was no need to resize them as long as they were used in the same gun. If the few you have that fit tight were to be loaded and fired in your gun, they might fire-form to the chamber? I have no experience with brass hulls and smokeless powder, so.....

I am assuming RMC stands for Rocky Mountain Cartridge.

CNC?

RMC's will not fire form to a chamber. They are machined from a solid brass bar stock. Are the case's round at the mouth,or slightly egg shaped?

Call RMC,see what they recomend.

They chamber most of the way and then get stuck in about the last inch or so

There is a reloading kit on their website, but nothing to re-size the hulls.

Resizing accoumplished by the mandril or the loading collar.

Here is a link to the instruction page.

http://rockymountaincartridge.com/Shot_Shell_Instructions.pdf

As been stated it's about inpossible to resize the RMC cases. I've tried resizing 12 ga shells using a $100 stainless die in a Rockcrusher and they still won't budge! They are very thick with brass to spare and I've had some success sanding the offenders to fit and polishing them up. This only works if they're not too oversized and you're very carefull. I'd limit their use to blackpowder after doing it, just to be safe.

The RMC resizer is for shells that may get deformed from being stepped on. It won't resize smaller. It's meant to go inside the shell.

All I can tell you is that it works for me.

All I can tell you is that it works for me.

I run into a problem when the hull sticks in the last inch, so the loading collar that only re-sizes the neck will not work for me.

When I shoot any of my brass shells in matches BP or smokeless, I do a chamber wipe after each stage. I use a chamber cleaning rod with a 10 ga. bore mop attached. This cleans the chamber and forcing cone. Brass shells do not expand like the Plastics. Blowback gas's and fouling will breach the outer shell/chamber and quickly foul the chamber. This causes a reloading & extraction issue. If you have tight chambers it will foul real fast.

When I shoot smokeless/Unique powder in my 97/16 with the all brass shells, I wipe the barrel with a Bore Snake after each stage. This 97 has one of the tightest chambers I have seen.

Archived