SASS Wire Forum

OT Federal Gold Medal Target 22, 40 grain solid point

Iron Pony

Have tried this in two very accurate rifles, one of the little Savage "tactical" bolt actions and my 10-22 with the Green Mtn bbl. Saying its not worth the $35.00 a brick is going real easy on it. From both of these rifles the Federal bulk pack HP shoots better as does the Remington subsonic and even 30+ year old Federal lightning. The Savage shoots even better still with Mini-mags which will come in handy for those pesky counter sniper squirrle situations.

Going to have to try this in the Marlin 39 and see what happens but this may turn out to be expensive plinking ammo.

Shortly after I picked up my Martini Cadet rebarrelled to 22 LR, I picked up some Federal Gold Match, Wolf Match and CCI Green Tag. Of the three the Federal turned in the worst group, with CCI Green tag delivering the best groups.

I'd try the various makers and just buy a box or two until you find the round that works best.

I shoot USBR bench rest every week. Federal is not used by anyone here. Each rifle has its favorite. My Savage Mk II,

BVTS rifle likes wolf match extra..$70.00 per brick...It does not like the higher priced Eley at all. You just got to try them all if your shooting for extreame accuracy.

Hellfire

I shoot USBR bench rest every week. Federal is not used by anyone here. Each rifle has its favorite. My Savage Mk II,

BVTS rifle likes wolf match extra..$70.00 per brick...It does not like the higher priced Eley at all. You just got to try them all if your shooting for extreame accuracy.

Hellfire

Wolf Match Extra gives the best groups in my Anschutz rifle, followed by Eley Tenex.

Yep I'm going to be picking up a box or two of just about everything I can find to see what shoots best but I was disappointed in the way the "gold medal" target shot out of what I know to be two very accurate rifles. The wolf brand is going to be at the top of the to be tested list, as will stingers and other such hyper velocity stuff.

I dont need bench rest accruacy from the Savage as I bought it as a training and GP bolt action rifle that might go into the woods looking for red squirrel. The 10-22 is shot almost exclusively in our falling plate matches and since we shoot a lot, each match is 120 rounds times the two or three matches (or more) you can shoot in a day high priced ammo is overkill.

Next time I hit the local shop I'll assemble another grapb bag of different stuff and spend a happy morning or two shooting rimfire rifles.

I am almost always pleased with the "medium" accuracy I get from CCI Blazer bulk ammo. For the price, hard to beat, and the primer seems to be well applied for reliability of ignition, compared to cheap Rem or Win "bulk" ammo.

For slightly better ammo, I step up to Federal Auto Match. Works well in several 22's I have. WalMart is about the only place that carries this.

But when I need "target" quality, as almost everyone else will tell you, I have to test in the gun and find a lot that gets the best from that barrel.

Good luck, GJ

All of my 22 cal rifle&pistols are very old 1947-1958. the only ammo that I have found to reliabley function the semis is Federal auto match and is reasonably accurate. Chief

Archived