SASS Wire Forum

Browning BSS Barrel length

Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945

For those of you who shoot the Browning BSS? Do you usually cut down the barrels or leave them as is?? I just bought a pristine BSS with 28" barrels M and F chokes.

Middlefork Bob,

I just recently found a very nice BSS in a local toy store. It has 28" barrels and choked M & F like yours. I just sent it up to Johnny Meadows to have it worked on. I asked him to shorten the barrels to 26". I started shooting CAS about 11 years ago with a Stevens 12ga with 28" barrels. I then went to an IGA hammer gun with 20" barrels. The last couple of years I've been using a Stoeger with 24" barrels and screw in chokes. I've noticed several pards using BSS and SKBs leaving them about 26". That is what I plan on using. Good luck with your new BSS.

Buckeye Pete :FlagAm:

Middlefork Bob , if you are going to cut the barrel , 22", 23"or 24" is a good fit for handiness and retained weight on barrels for easy opening. This is what is recommended by the guys who do the work.

That said , there is nothing wrong with leaving them at 28" , either. Or 26" , if your gun has that length. I have one that was cut to 23" , and just got a second one back from Ol'#4 that retains the 26" barrels and factory choke.

Good luck , and congrats on a good find. Rex :D

M&F chokes are too tight for SASS shooting. Cut 'em to about 20" because you lose the chokes as soon as you lop about 2" off and the extra 6" isn't going to do anything but get in the way in cramped corners. I've got 20"ers and long necks and the goose guns always wind up staying in the safe or the gun cart. Congrats on getting the BSS though, you're gonna love it!

Middlefork Bob,

I would cut those barrels to 22 inches, not the 26 that you are proposing. The 22 inch length leaves enough weight forward, but is easily managed in close quarters. The longer barrels will just get in the way, and way too often.

Then I would send the gun, (barrels only), to Mike Orlen in Amherst Mass., and have him cut the barrels, refill in between them again and remount the sight. Then install Screw-in Chokes, Imp Cyl. (.010) constriction. Mike is a great barrelsmith and does outstanding work, at very reasonable prices. I have seen his work, and it's simply impeckable.

He can be reached at 413-256-1630 He has a add including prices posted on Shotgun World, that can be accessed using this url. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237.

RBK

I tried my BSS with the standard 28 - once. <_< Had them shortened to 24, which seems about perfect - IMHO. :) The thing about cutting the barrels is, you can always take more off, but putting it back is a drag. I would be conservative. The BSS is a fine shotgun, and you might want to do something other than cowboy with it..... ;)

I cut mine to 22" and am very pleased with them. I did load the space in between the barrels with lead shot for a little advantage. But very pleased with 22" You will too.

I've been shootin fer SASS for over 9 years now and

I think barrel length is a personnel thing as long as it's

over 18.25 inches and it works for you that's good enough.

Shootin trap/skeet is another thing, but at the distance's

we shoot I'm not sure it matter at all. :rolleyes:

Happy trails

QDG

Archived