SASS Wire Forum

Guns Used

scgunslinger

Hello all just registered to use the forum and looking to join SASS as well as a local club. I have a few guns that I was wondering if I could use in the shooting events. Can anyone tell me if a ruger new model single action blackhawk 357/38 and a colt single action new fronteer 22 mag and a marlin 30/30/win can be used. Also what about mossburg 500 pump shot guns ? Were their no pump shot guns in the old days ? I only noticed double barrels so far.

Hello all just registered to use the forum and looking to join SASS as well as a local club. I have a few guns that I was wondering if I could use in the shooting events. Can anyone tell me if a ruger new model single action blackhawk 357/38 and a colt single action new fronteer 22 mag and a marlin 30/30/win can be used. Also what about mossburg 500 pump shot guns ? Were their no pump shot guns in the old days ? I only noticed double barrels so far.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Actually most of them guns won't work by the regs.

However, you can probalby borrow some from the Pards at matches.

MG

About the only viable one you have is the Blackhawk.The Colt 22 mag could be used if you're a Buckaroo or under 14 years old.Then you would have to use 22 LR not 22 Mag.The Marlin is not legal,(30-30 caliber isn't allowed)plus you'd have to reload on the clock while shooting it.Most senario's call for 10 pistol,10 rifle and usually at least 4 shotgun rounds per stage.The Mossberg is not SASS legal.Has to be older than 1899 in design.That's why you see mostly 1897 pumps and side by sides being used.The 87 Winchester lever action shotgun is also legal.Go to a local club and see what other shooters are using.Tell them you're new and just getting started in getting your guns together.You'll have people throwing guns and ammo at you to try out.Try every brand,type and style of gun you can before going out and buying anything else.Then get what feels best in YOUR hands.It may not be the most popular brand,but popular doesn't mean it's right if it doesn't feel right.One suggestion I have when doing that is pick up a box or two of shotgun shells to offset the cost of the stuff you're going to be using.Most of us use Winchester AA low recoil low noise or Remington STS's.Then HAVE FUN.

Welcome to CAS and SASS. It would be real helpful to fill out your profile information so we could tell where you are located and possibly give you more specific answers and where to go for matches, etc.

Welcome to the fun!!

Captain Baylor has done a great job of discussing how to start, including the various guns we use.

Getting Started

As others have said, it is good to see and handle the various guns before buying.

I believe the Blackhawk could limit the catagories you could shoot in,maybe not.the rules and regs are posted on the Sass home page,and I"ve not read them for a while.lol

Welcome abaord !

Howdy scgunslinger, I'm gonna guess by your handle that yer from SC. Check out the Carolina Cowboys for clubs near you. Go to some matches and try out the different guns before you spend a dime. Get ahold of the MD before hand and they may be able to put together enough gear for you to shoot a match or a couple of stages. Good Luck :)

Carolina Cowboys

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Howdy

With all due respect, the Shooter's Handbook can be a bit daunting for newcomers.

Your rifle has to be in what we call a 'pistol' caliber. Meaning the cartridge is short enough to be able to be chambered in a revolver. 45 Colt, 44-40, 38 Special are typical, but by no means a complete list. 30-30 is a rifle caliber and is too long (and too powerful) for use in a Main Match rifle. Best to have a rifle that will hold at least ten rounds in the magazine so you don't have to reload on the clock.

The only pump action shotgun allowed these days is a Winchester Model 1897, either original or reproduction. No others are allowed. There are a few other pump shotguns that were made in the era, but the only one that is SASS legal is the Winchester '97. Just about any SXS shotgun is allowed, as long as it does not have ejectors. Extractors are fine, but if the gun kicks the empties out, the ejectors have to be disabled. The Winchester Model 1887 lever action shotgun is legal, but it is not a good gun for beginners.

Your Black Hawk is legal, but it will restrict you to the 'age based' categories and B-Western category. You can use a fixed sight revolver in almost any category.

Sorry, 22s are only legal for kids.

P.S. Don't get caught up in the 'it existed then' line of thinking. There are a bunch of things that existed back then, but they are not SASS legal.

PPS. Do get yourself to a match and see what is being used. If you show the slightest bit of interest, somebody will let you try out their guns. Don't buy anything that you have not already tried.

PPS. Do get yourself to a match and see what is being used. If you show the slightest bit of interest, somebody will let you try out their guns. Don't buy anything that you have not already tried.

Yup. Safest way to go. do a lot of looking, questioning and test driving before buying. Then take it from there. You'll save a lot in money and aggravation.

Pard, While that 30-30 isn't legal for main matches ,,,, it can be used in "longrange" side matches ...

Anyhow Welcome !!!

Have Fun ,,,,, Go to a match or more a try out some guns before you buy any ....

Jabez Cowboy

You have a number of good clubs within a short drive of your area. I suggest hitting some of those matches to see what people are using and reading the online SASS handbook.

I early November the southeast regional match will be in Givhan's Ferry, about 30 minutes west of Charleston. There will be a good gathering of vendors selling guns, clothes, leather and other goodies.

Welcome to the fire!

Hello all just registered to use the forum and looking to join SASS as well as a local club. I have a few guns that I was wondering if I could use in the shooting events. Can anyone tell me if a ruger new model single action Blackhawk 357/38 and a colt single action new fronteer 22 mag and a marlin 30/30/win can be used. Also what about mossburg 500 pump shot guns ? Were their no pump shot guns in the old days ? I only noticed double barrels so far.

Wecome to the mire! I thought I had two of the four guns I needed, but I've replaced everything so I could shoot in different categories. I started with a Marlin 1894 and Blackhawk in .357 and within a year picked up two Vaqueros and a Rossi 1892 in 44-40. I now use my .357s as loaners. The Blackhawks are perfectly fine guns though, so if you can find another, plus an acceptable lever action rifle in ,357 (most people use Winchester 1873, 1892 or Marlin 1894, but you see Henrys, Winchester 1866, and 1894s too...mostly Uberti copies) you'll be on your way. Most people use Winchester 97s (or copies) or SxSs for shotguns.

They you'll go through some leather incarnations. www.cowboyneeds.com has great prices on Triple K Leather, who make excellent, low cost starter holsters and belts. You'll need a belt for two holsters for your pistols and a way to hold shotgun shells, whether a separate belt or a slide. There are many different rig configurations and styles, so it may be wise to start with a cost effective set so you can figure out what you like.

It's easy to go down an expensive, slippery slope, but you don't have to.

I've been keeping a blog about my my experiences. You're welcome to log on and read and comment. Welcome and happy shooting!!

-Pico Pistolero

blog.picopistolero.com

Clarks Hill SC very near Augusta GA

Well you HAD a club in Jackson but they lost the range and had to move to Columbia. Many of the orginal shooters from that area still attend matches at Columbia. Coulmbia has two clubs that shoot on the same range and they are both great clubs. The SRR's are the one's that moved there and if you attend one of their matches you can get to know some folks from your neck of the woods.

http://sites.google.com/site/savannahriverrangers/

I think next Sat is the day for the Oct match at Columbia. Drive over and spend some time with a great group of shooters and you will get a chance to see what it is all about first hand. Sometimes you will also see some used guns/gear put out on the tables for sale.

Welcome to SASS! Buy another Blackhawk, a gunbelt, and some holsters and start going to matches. Someone will loan you a rifle and shotgun to get you started.

Plus 1 on this recommendation. One more Blackhawk and your fixed for pistols in all age based categories as well as B-Western. Duelist, Gunfighter, Clasic Cowboy and Frontiersman, as well as Black Powder Categories require fixed sight pistols, of which the Ruger Vaquero's are highly popular.

You probably will shoot an age based category for a long while to begin with anyhow, and the Blackhawks will do just fine. The 38/357 caliber is the simplest, and cheapest to feed, whether buying ammo or reloading it, and you can easily purchase a rifle to use the same ammo.

As to the shotgun, the most used guns are the Double Barreled Coach guns, made by Stoeger or Baikal, for the cheaper ones, and SKB's and Brownings for the higher quality guns. Lots of pump action Win. 1897's are used, but I doubt seriously that they are the best choice for the beginner as they take a lot of training to really become proficient with them. Certainly they aren't as reliable as the SXS either.

Just some suggestions you can chew on.

RBK

I am no expert (new myself) but I will tell you this, from recent experience: Watch where those bullet loops are on your belt if you buy a single holster with thoughts of expanding.

I'm fortunate that my rifle and handgun taste has always ran the levergun and revolver route. My brother, on the other hand, has the latest whiz-bang gizmo, holster, sling, optics, doo-dad, and absolutely has to have the latest-greatest rocket-propelled incendiary nuclear-lined forged-from-the-remains of Chernobyl bullets on the market. So, when he comes up with the idea of doing SASS, I had the head start, aside from my equipment being slap worn out.

He wants to shoot, so I went over (just Thursday, matter of fact). Wearing my old holster that's falling apart at the seams, he struts out with the nicest piece of leather I've laid eyes on. It's really pretty, for sure, and I imagine it cost nearly as much as my old truck. The first thing in my eye (once my headache from all the tooling went away) is the drop-shank rig (I think the preferred term is buscadero, but not sure). Really swell, he's not gonna be riding in it after all. The second is the fact there's only one. I remind him he's gonna need two guns, but the guy who sold him the rig says he can get a matched holster for the left whenever he needs it.

No problem! Except there's nowhere to put it. There's no drop loop on the left, and to add insult to injury, the bullet loops run from the right holster clear around to nearly the buckle. Belt's useless for SASS, about the most impractical thing I've seen lately, but it's sure nice looking and he can carry enough ammo to start a war. Guess that counts for something.

In this case I tghink it is just as important, if not more so, to study his handgun options rather than just buy a duplicate. Not a Ruger expert here but would there be a possible difference in the Blackhawks due to age, similar to the Vaquero situation? He has a unique advantage to improve his situation, based at least on a partial opinion of at least one gun he has experience with. As far as that gun goes, if you could change one or two things about it, what would the change/s be? Now might be the time to consider those changes rather than further lock them out! Also remember there were two lists there and your Blackhawk can lock you out of several classes that you might one day like to try. Come on over to Columbia and plan on spending a day visiting a cowboy shooting match. Columbia also offers a couple or several really good shooters most months which would give you an opportunity of seeing it from that end.

Archived