SASS Wire Forum

OT: question from younger brother - need to ask the experts

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Hey pards - don't mean to bother, but my younger brother is getting more involved with shooting and wants to start reloading - he just acquired a Lee turret press and asked me the following:

"Hey there. I was as always....wondering. Which powder measure do you recommend? I have been doing some research and am stumped. I want a reasonable digital scale made in America as well as a manual powder measure. Hornady scale ($120) + Lee perfect measure ($30) seems the cheapest way to go. Plus I can use the money I save with the measure by getting the descent scale. "

He plans on loading 40 S&W and 44 Special for now

Any info would be helpful - thanks

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have one of these Frankford Arsenal Digital Scale and the balance scale that came with my Lee Anniversary Kit back when I got into reloading. The Frankford does fine, but the battery life is pretty short. The Lee scale works fine, but it's kinda small and is difficult to read and tinker with because of the size. I think the consensus is going to be "go with the balance scale for accuracy," but I've been fine with the Frankfort (when the battery isn't dead), but I'm loading for SASS and not precision long-range shooting.

Chick

I started with a Lee Turret (Still have it) and started with a Forster powder measure (Still have that too).

I like the Forster because it's incredibly accurate and will cut any powder you throw at it with no problem. As with most anything involving reloading, buy the very best you can afford.

Forster at Midway

I have had this scale for about 6 months & love it -

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=175512

but don't pay that price for it. Midway USA puts them on sale for $19.99 pretty regularly. I use it with a powder trickler to get my rifle rounds just right & to check every 25th round or so on the Dillon. For me its both easier to use & more accurate than a balance scale.

Like anything else, it's largely a matter of money. I started out with a second-hand RCBS RS3 press and a "Little Dandy" powder measure, and the low-end Lee beam scale (pre-digital-scale era, at least at prices I could afford).

If I were starting again, and had slightly more money than I had back then, I'd take a hard look at one of the "beginners kits" offered by Lee, RCBS or Hornady. These come with everything you need except dies, powder, primer and bullets. A friend of mine (who is taking up reloading for the first time as a retirement hobby), just bought the complete Hornady set-up for $299 from Cabelas. He's much better equipped than I was when I started out (although I was able to load ammo in those days, it was slow).

Hornady scale ($120) + Lee perfect measure ($30) seems the cheapest way to go. Plus I can use the money I save with the measure by getting the descent scale. "

I'm going to offer the opinion that he's got his priorities backwards. Spend the extra $$$ on the powder measure. The reason I say that is because you don't need a digital scale that measures to thousandsth of a grain unless you're into something like high precision benchrest shooting. The only thing the scale is used for is the initial set-up of the powder measure and to do random checks from each batch of cases loaded. For that reason, it's much more important to spend a few extra $$$ on a high quality powder measure that will throw very consistent charges.

I agree with Slim, you use the powder measure for each and every round, the scale much less often unless you are measuring each and every charge.

I have a little digital scale that I use once in a blue moon. I have an RCBS scale that I use a few times each loading session where I am throwing powder.

I started on the Lee Classic Turret, great little press. IMHO the the Lee Pro Auto Disk mounted on the turret is the only way to go. He will need a powder through expander die. Is his a three hole or four hole turret??? If it's a four and he plans to prime on the press he will need a riser for the Auto Disk to clear the safety prime.

Lee Pro Auto Disk

Riser

Any good beam scale will do, also nice to have an electronic also.

I bought a Hornady GS 1500 electronic scale a few months ago, very satisfied.

Hornady GS 1500

Don't ferget the most important part of first time reloading, a good manual. Good Luck :)

Lee Modern Reloading

Lyman's 49th Edition

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I would recommend spending money on the best powder measure rather than the best scale. Any decent beam scale will give very accurate measurements, the better the powder measure, the variation you'll see from charge to charge will be minimized.

There are lots of good choices, just don't go cheap on the powder measure?

You don't save a bloody thing when you go the cheap on a scale :rolleyes:

Get a PACT(DPPS)ele. and be done with it. ;)

Buy one time. Cry, one time.......

Respectfully,

LG

Lumpy -- you said it. I struggled with the little $10 (then) Lee beam scale for years before biting the bullet for a good digital scale. The trouble was, even though I agree on the matter of buying a good scale, I couldn't have followed your advice (and that may be the case here). It doesn't make a difference how good the deal is if you don't have the money to do it.

+1 on the Lee Pro Auto Disk....well worth it.

On the powder scale I'm with the group in saying buy the best balance beam scale he can afford. I have an RCBS 505 and like Griz, I check every 25 cases or so when loading on my Dillon just to have that sanity check....even with the powder check "gizmo" you just want to make sure the bullet goes bang at the firing line. Gun powder gets REALLY EXPENSIVE when cowboys wanna sell you some while your own the firing line :)

Digital scales, I have owned three a Dillon, a RCBS, and a Lyman. The Dillon is by far the best at holding and keeping its zero.

Archived