SASS Wire Forum

Support your local gunshop

Chili Ron

And here are my thoughts.

When we visit the grocery store, we never have to deal with the butcher, dairy man or the stock boy back in hardware. We never have to experience what kind of crummy day they are having or who has order 100 steaks and didn't show up to pick them up.

We don't have to deal with the truck driver who delivered our gas to the station and ifn you use a debit card, you don't even have to deal with any SOB behind the counter.

BUT, ya go into a gun store (and granite, they have their ill employees) where John Doe ordered a $600 rifle last month and it just arrived. The owner/manager calls John Doe to inform him of his rifle just to find out that John Doe can't buy it now because of unforseen financial circumstances. The OWNER of the gun store trusted Mr. Doe and didn't require a deposit (Nice owner) but now, he's can't afford to continue that business tactic and ask you to put down a deposit for your order...........and you tell him to 'FORGET IT' and take your business elsewhere.

All I can do is encourage others to support local, privately owned gun shop 'whenever possible'. And share a smile because nobody else has tried to share one with them all day long.

Just sayin!

..........Widder

There used to be a bunch of gun shops in our area years ago. Some folded up and quit when a bunch of shops between here and Richmond got hit by the same gang of burglars back in the '90's, some more than once. Their insurance rates went up so high they couldn't afford to stay in business, so they closed their doors. And a few more of the smaller shops, and a bunch of home-based dealers that mostly sold at guns shows quit when the Clintonista BATF jacked up the licensing fees. Now all we have is Gander Mountain, which now doesn't have nearly as many guns as they had when I worked the gun counter there, several overpriced pawn shops that sell guns but don't know doodly squat about them, and a couple of specialty shops that cater to the wannabe tacticals and black rifle crowd.

Just because you can open a business any business does not mean you know HOW to run a business

ding ding ding... We have a winner.

Hobby product based businesses are notable for their failures and poor operation.

We have all fallen victim to the old saw "love what you do and you will never work a day in your life"

What a bunch of... hooey.

Running a (any) business is hard work.

And just because you love/ live/ breathe guns, coins, motorcycles, or hot rod parts doesn't mean that you know how to run a business that sells that product.

But folks do it everyday, "Hey, I love model cars and RC airplanes - I should open a hobby shop".

Doesn't matter that they hate people, have no idea how to merchandise or create stocking levels.

They open their doors and expect folks to file in and hand them money solely for existing.

Some local shops should fail - simply opening your doors is not a high enough standard to aspire to.

If there is a market, eventually somebody will attempt to fill that market.

Some will succeeed, some will fail, some because of their own shortcomings, some because the market would not sustain their business.

But if the business survives, it will be becasue they are offering a better product, service or price; not from artificial patronage and good wishes.

Archived