SASS Wire Forum

Hammer modifications

Frenchy Cannuck

Has any of y'all modified your Hammers? A friend is looking at modifyin the hammers on his Uberti 1875 Outlaws. Can he just buy replacements or will he have to find someone to make him new ones?

Frenchy

Some modifications of some hammers are allowed but as Henry McKenna stated, ya better check out the rule books and check out the quidelines.

I had two 'factory stock' hammers on my original Vaquero's that were modified to fit the angled profile of the legal SBH hammers now allowed on our pistols. In other words, my hammers swoop lower but they do not have that wide thumb pad like the SBH hammers.

Hope this info helps.

..........Widder

Choctaw Silver Wolf will "lower" your original hammers for a very reasonable price! Just saying B)

ALL FIREARMS

• All firearms must be designed to fire by use of an impact mechanism such as required by

centerfire primers, rimfire primers, or percussion caps. All other firing mechanisms are

illegal.

• Internal modifications not referenced here that cannot be seen while the firearm is at rest

(action closed) are allowed provided they do not affect the external operation or directly

conflict with one of the modifications listed here.

• Modifying the firing, cocking, chambering, or levering mechanism in any way that changes

the process from an entirely manual operation to any other style operation (e.g., blowback

operation, gas operation, or recoil operation) is expressly prohibited.

• All firearms may be repaired and/or restored to their original condition.

• Replacement parts may be made from materials other than the original unless such material

is specifically prohibited.

• All parts may be smoothed, reprofiled, polished, deburred, or replaced provided they are not

prohibited in these Covenants.

HAMMERS

• Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size

(e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice

versa).

• Internal parts of the hammer may be changed (e.g., to allow for a half-cock notch on a

revolver).

• Bisley style revolver hammers may only be used when mated with a Bisley style grip frame.

• Ruger Super Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e. lowered and widened

hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

• Hammer stops may be added.

• The hammer travel distance on any revolver may be adjusted.

• Rear sight notches cut into the revolver hammer may be widened.

• Hammer spur grooves may be recut.

First off, can you be a little bit more specific about what you mean by 'modifying' the hammer? There are some things that are allowed, there are some things that are not.

Frankly, I can't keep track of the rules anymore.

Usta be that reprofiling or bending the hammer spur was completely outlawed. Now we can substitute some hammers in some guns. I still can't make out whether or not it is legal bend or lower the hammer spur on a Uberti or other Colt style hammer.

First off, can you be a little bit more specific about what you mean by 'modifying' the hammer? There are some things that are allowed, there are some things that are not.

Frankly, I can't keep track of the rules anymore.

Usta be that reprofiling or bending the hammer spur was completely outlawed. Now we can substitute some hammers in some guns. I still can't make out whether or not it is legal bend or lower the hammer spur on a Uberti or other Colt style hammer.

Bent hammer spurs are now allowed.

We're thinking of going with something like the Montado or the one like the Runnin Iron.

Where would one go for that?

Frenchy

Archived