SASS Wire Forum

A Different Sweep

Cassalong Hopidy

An idea came to me on a plane ride back home today. I have not shot or seen this sweep and do not find it on A Glossary of Sweeps (Crooked River Bob/Okie Sawbones). Think it would be fun, should be fast, and it works for both pistols and rifle.

Ten Shots on Three Targets: 1-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-1-1. With two pistols, think of it as a 1-2-2 sweep from one direction and the same back from the other direction. Gunfighter friendly to boot.

Cassalong Hopidy

I like it for the pistols, but for rifle it feels awkward and unbalanced. Not much way around that if you want same same sweeps, but it you don't, could be just nine rifle, or put the tenth on a clay bird on a stand behind the others.

But, that is just me, and heck yes if that was the stage as written I'd shoot it.

I was thinking wrong again

P trap! We don' need no more steenkin' complicated sweeps. Thinkin' slows down yer times. If I wanted to think, I'd stay home and do crossword puzzles. Just my .02 worth.

I like the sweep -- very simple when you think 1-2-2 from the left, and then 1-2-2 from the right.

And for the rifle it winds up being 1-2-3-2-2 so ya gotta make sure you think about it right! :D

The thing about sweeps, and any target sequence for that matter, is that they have to be something a shooter can easily keep in mind, AND something the spotters can keep in mind and recognize as they are being shot.

We already shoot a variation on this one, we call it a "Pikes Peak"

10 shots on 3 targets. (makes it work for rifle and pistol)

1 - 22 - 3333 - 22 - 1

Or on 5 targets

1 - 22 - 3333 - 44 - 5

Pikes peak - climbing up and climbing back down.

Kinda cool if the targets are different heights as well to further lock in the climbing up and down idea.

We already shoot a variation on this one, we call it a "Pikes Peak"

10 shots on 3 targets. (makes it work for rifle and pistol)

1 - 22 - 3333 - 22 - 1

Or on 5 targets

1 - 22 - 3333 - 44 - 5

Pikes peak - climbing up and climbing back down.

Kinda cool if the targets are different heights as well to further lock in the climbing up and down idea.

We had a stage with one of those on 5 targets this past weekend, it was fun. Just gotta remember to stay on that center target for the first two from yer second pistola, I tend to want to index to the next target when I start the second gun.

We had a stage with one of those on 5 targets this past weekend, it was fun. Just gotta remember to stay on that center target for the first two from yer second pistola, I tend to want to index to the next target when I start the second gun.

Been there,done that, many years old here.

Hellfire

I like the sweep -- very simple when you think 1-2-2 from the left, and then 1-2-2 from the right.

Thanks, Okie. I am amazed at some of the other responses. It's not any of the sweeps from Crooked River Bob's Glossary. Thought of as you suggest, it is no more difficult than many other sweeps regularly shot in monthly matches and certainly not a P trap. Do you have to keep track of your shots? You bet. But you have to keep track of them on progressive sweeps, 2-1-2 sweeps, a Palindrome sweep, and numerous others. Seems to me that keeping track of your shots is a good thing. There are cowboys out there who just don't care for anything they haven't shot many times before and I can't expect them to like this--at least not until they have tried it a few times. For those more receptive to something different, it would be a chance to shoot a new sequence. I am pretty sure this is how new sweeps have come into our sport.

CH

Thanks, Okie. I am amazed at some of the other responses. It's not any of the sweeps from Crooked River Bob's Glossary.

CH

Cass you might want to make a more complete search for the Crooked River Bob Glosary. There are some out there with fewer sweeps and some with more. As I posted, in my copy it is called the Abalene Sweep, first one on the list.

I like the comment about looking at it as targets 1-2-2 from the left and then from the right. As a stage writer I'll offer a sweep that I see as simple but challenging and yet some shooters just have a hard time gettin their head around them. Often when it is presented from a different point of view they get it and it turns out to be easy. WW

An idea came to me on a plane ride back home today. I have not shot or seen this sweep and do not find it on A Glossary of Sweeps (Crooked River Bob/Okie Sawbones). Think it would be fun, should be fast, and it works for both pistols and rifle.

Ten Shots on Three Targets: 1-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-1-1. With two pistols, think of it as a 1-2-2 sweep from one direction and the same back from the other direction. Gunfighter friendly to boot.

Cassalong Hopidy

Been Doing that sweep up here fer years ....

Jabez Cowboy

Personally, I'm against procedural sweeps of any kind. They are all pointless when one thinks about it.

Either ask a shooter to engage the targets in any order or give him a REASON to engage a specific target first (Said target is closest, has a shotgun, or for some reason implies an incresed threat).

When I go to a shoot, I'll shoot the silly sweeps and have fun doing it. I still wish we'd get away from them altogether. :FlagAm:

Cass you might want to make a more complete search for the Crooked River Bob Glosary. There are some out there with fewer sweeps and some with more. As I posted, in my copy it is called the Abalene Sweep, first one on the list.

I like the comment about looking at it as targets 1-2-2 from the left and then from the right. As a stage writer I'll offer a sweep that I see as simple but challenging and yet some shooters just have a hard time gettin their head around them. Often when it is presented from a different point of view they get it and it turns out to be easy. WW

Willy

I may be looking at an outdated copy, but the Abilene Sweep is 9 shots, not 10--the same to that point, but it lacks the 1-2-2, 1-2-2 symmetry.

CH

And for the rifle it winds up being 1-2-3-2-2 so ya gotta make sure you think about it right! :D

Nope, you just think of two sweeps with the rifle, 1-2-2 from the left, then 1-2-2 from the right. The KISS principle. I'm going to use the sweep in our November match -- October is already written. Just like with other sweeps, I will check the number of Ps on that stage. If it is out of line with the other stages, I won't use it again.

Cassalong Hopidy

Cassalong.. sorry ya took my reply in the wrong way it was givin' and I apologize..

I was typing with a smile :) on my face when I replied.. probably along with Jack Houston..

but... unless I ain't gettin' the meaning of your shooting order... and instructions..

Ya got an extra one on the right side.. that would earn a P with the instructions of a 1-2-2 sweep from both directions..

and to do a 1-2-2 sweep from both directions you need an extra 3 in the middle.. Kinda of the way Creeker describes his sweep..

I think that's all we were sayin'

I'll shoot any kind of a new sweep and enjoy it right along with the other folks..

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

but am I understanding the sequence correctly?

Seem's all the other replies understand it as written or..

I'm a dummy :lol::lol: .. could be the latter :wacko:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I'm sorry for the misunderstanding :blush:

edit.. Never mind :wacko:

I just figured it out...first pistol from the left 1-2-2-3-3 and then starting with the second pistol from the right 3-2-2-1-1 you are right.. I'm wrong :blink: again..

Thanks fer understanding.. I hope :blink: .. takes us older type folks a while.. :wacko: but I finally got it

Cassalong.. sorry ya took my reply in the wrong way it was givin' and I apologize..

I was typing with a smile :) on my face when I replied.. probably along with Jack Houston..

but... unless I ain't gettin' the meaning of your shooting order... and instructions..

Ya got an extra one on the right side.. that would earn a P with the instructions of a 1-2-2 sweep from both directions..

and to do a 1-2-2 sweep from both directions you need an extra 3 in the middle.. Kinda of the way Creeker describes his sweep..

I think that's all we were sayin'

I'll shoot any kind of a new sweep and enjoy it right along with the other folks..

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

but am I understanding the sequence correctly?

Seem's all the other replies understand it as written or..

I'm a dummy :lol::lol: .. could be the latter :wacko:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I'm sorry for the misunderstanding :blush:

edit.. Never mind :wacko:

I just figured it out...first pistol from the left 1-2-2-3-3 and then starting with the second pistol from the right 3-2-2-1-1 you are right.. I'm wrong :blink: again..

Thanks fer understanding.. I hope :blink: .. takes us older type folks a while.. :wacko: but I finally got it

No problem whatever--and I really wasn't trying to create anything difficult. The instructions would would use the target numbers and I was just suggesting an easy way to "think" about what you were doing as you shoot the targets in the listed sequence. Anyway, I thought it would be fun. Thanks for taking the time to read and consider it.

CH

First, don't worry about the glossary. The glossary can be helpful for some to see what variety of seeps to consider, but definitely don't "name" it. Just spell it out as you did.

We have more than enough to remember with the names. Sometimes a local club will use a local name (and explain it) which is fine, but we have too many sweeps with different names already. And it can add to the confusion. For example, is this a "progressive sweep" which is 1234, or a Lawrence Welk Sweep which is 1234, or an IRS Sweep which is 1234 - and at least one of those is different, but who can remember which.

The sweep you mention is a good one for the pistols and is relatively simple when broken down as you did.

First, don't worry about the glossary. The glossary can be helpful for some to see what variety of seeps to consider, but definitely don't "name" it. Just spell it out as you did.

We have more than enough to remember with the names. Sometimes a local club will use a local name (and explain it) which is fine, but we have too many sweeps with different names already. And it can add to the confusion. For example, is this a "progressive sweep" which is 1234, or a Lawrence Welk Sweep which is 1234, or an IRS Sweep which is 1234 - and at least one of those is different, but who can remember which.

The sweep you mention is a good one for the pistols and is relatively simple when broken down as you did.

Thanks, Marauder. I look forward to shooting with you again soon--I believe I will see you at Alabama.

CH

I'm planning on Alabama and Tennessee, but Alice broke and sprained her ankle, so I will know in about a week!

Poor girl couldn't buy a break right now, but she is alive and that's sorta amazing for all she went through.

I'm planning on Alabama and Tennessee, but Alice broke and sprained her ankle, so I will know in about a week!

Poor girl couldn't buy a break right now, but she is alive and that's sorta amazing for all she went through.

I will keep her in my prayers, Marauder. Sorry to hear it. Hope she heals well and quickly.

CH

Cassalong-

You'll be in Alabama - we'll be shooting the "Hopidy" sweep in Valdosta, and be thinkin' of ya

Thanks for suggesting it!

Big Boyd

Thanks, Big Boyd. Hope to shoot with you again in the near future.

CH

Cassalong,

Pard it will work just fine. I like it. I have shot way worse sweeps. My 2 cents.

Daybreaker

Thanks, Daybreaker. I figured if you and I could shoot it, anybody else could too. It's just not very complicated and could be plenty fast, depending on the spacing of the targets.

CH

Archived