SASS Wire Forum

Six rounds 1897

Red Cent

I have two solid frames 97s. One will take six in the tube and the other is about an inch and a half from taking six. Springs are the same length. Both have the same factory follower. Mag tubes same length.????? Is the six round mod a secret or can you disclose it on this thread?

Nope. Not a word. I'd have ta shoot ya. :rolleyes: Actually it's simple. One of the guys over on the Wild Bunch Wire has developed a kit for 6 rounds in a 97. Consists of a new follower and a new spring (short with the right compression). Literally a drop in.

Currently, Long Hunter and Pioneer Gunworks are carrying the kits for about 30 bucks. Well worth the money. There are in fact two different kits. One for the "Take Down" gun and one for the solid frame.

Coffinmaker

A 1/2" or less could be accounted for with manufacturing tolerances for the spring, follower and mag tube end cap. An inch and one-half means there is something materially different between the two set-ups. You need to take the mag tube and components and start investigating. Is the wire diameter on the spring the same, is there an obstruction in the tube, is the spring going all the way into the follower, are the mag tube end caps the same, etc.

Red, what Larsen said, some difference there somewhere. I have done several just by grinding about 3/8 - 1/2in off the mag follower and take a few rounds off the spring if the spring is still good. You really need a little "wiggle room" with the 6 rounds in the magazine. Or like others have said, get a "kit" from WB Tom.

Mink...........

I'll look at them again tomorrow. I took a factory follower and ground it down leaving the last ring. The spring inside the follower will keep it straight. I still need a 1/4". Funny. Functions fine.

The same caps. The mags screw in the same amount. They are the same length. Springs look to be the same. Will mike them tomorrow.

Sorry Red, I just re-read your post and see that they are solid frames. Haven't had a solid frame for a while, but they could be a little shorter due to not having the take down parts between the receiver and barrel ???

Mink......

Nope. Not a word. I'd have ta shoot ya. :rolleyes: Actually it's simple. One of the guys over on the Wild Bunch Wire has developed a kit for 6 rounds in a 97. Consists of a new follower and a new spring (short with the right compression). Literally a drop in.

Currently, Long Hunter and Pioneer Gunworks are carrying the kits for about 30 bucks. Well worth the money. There are in fact two different kits. One for the "Take Down" gun and one for the solid frame.

Coffinmaker

+1 for Wild Bodie Tom's Load 6 Kit.

I've put them in quite a few '97s and they seem to work well. -- much better than cut down springs and modified OEM followers. I think Dillon Reloading also sells them.

I have 4 97's, depending on your defintion of a 97.

Two are original Winchester take downs, and both hold 5 in the magazine. A 6th goes about 3/4 of the way in.

I also have two Norincos. One is their 97 Trench gun, an the other is a 93/97. Both are of course, solid frame, and the also take about 5-3/4 shells into mag.

I have read about original 97's that'll hold 6, always solid frame versions.

But I have never seen one. I tend to think that they were designed for 5, but occasionally some variences in the maunfacturing process allowed for 6.

Just my theory.

The Dillon Precision Product inc, in their latest Blue Press catalog, have the Wild Bodie 6 round conversion kit both for the 97 takedown, and solid frame at 29.95 each. Kit has appropiate follower and spring to increase capacity to 6 rds. MT

That's 6rds in the magazine. In WB, you cannot load a round in the chamber for the 6th round.

Red Cent, Try putting six in the tube with only the follower, leaving the spring out. If it will take six, you need to modify the spring. The end of the spring must be tapered so that it can compress into the follower. After that, the only solution is to cut off coils of the spring. Or get the commercial spring and follower from WB Tom.

I've done a take down and a solid frame by trimming the spring and shortening the follower. However, both needed the cartridge stops adjusted and the inside of the tubes smoothed out. When you reduce the tension, the shells sometimes catch on the inside of the tube or won't push past the cartridge stops. You have to polish anything sticking up inside the tube and possible adjust the cartridge stop springs. However, if you make the cartridge stop springs too light, the shell can blow right by them and dump out the bottom.

I did this before the kits were available. It sounds like the kits keep the spring tension up so you don't have to play with the cartridge stops. If I do another one, I'll probably just get the kit.

Buffalo Slim

One of the real values of having the Wild Bunch forum is that it is the IDEAL place to ask questions like this one, a question which concerns WB shooting, rather than cowboy shooting. :o

Good luck, GJ

Weren't the Winchesters built for 2.5" shells and not 2.75?" Momma got a WBT kit at a recent match that I haven't quite got around to installing yet.

Nope. All 97s were chambered for 2&3/4 from the beginning BUT those shells in those days were different critters from today's plastic hull star crimp shells. So original 97s will benefit from having their ole style really short forcing cones tapered and extended on out.

All four of my chinkchesters will hold six and many of my originals. Modern 2.75" shells are not all the same over all loaded length. Sometimes I can only get 5 in and the 6th will like just a little going in the mag. Then I just whip out a B&P 2 & 5/8" sub sonic shell. I really love those shells and they ship free straight from B&P.

I have an original 97 takedown made 1931. I cut the original follower between the 1st and second ring that keeps it straight in the tube. This gave me the extra 3/4 inch that allows for 6 in the tube. It was not a 'hard' fix. cut off wheel and a few minutes time.

I just checked my 09 IAC 97w Cowboy and the OEM mag tube & components took 6 Federal "Target Load" shells with no trouble. Just purchased the gun a month ago from Buds. Of course Buds specs advertize 4+1 where IAC specs advertize 5 in the tube for the same gun.

Archived