SASS Wire Forum

Coyboy Era Metalic Cartridge Military Rifles.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Hey, I am working on a project for some friends of mine. To make a long story short, they knew I was a Cowboy shooter and a "gun nut." Their words, not mine! :)

Anyway, the information needed is what were the various cartridge fireing rifles used by the US Military during the era of which our game is set.

Of the top of my head, I came up with the following list, but wanted to double check with the folks here to make sure I didn't leave anything off the list. They want to know main battle rifles, and any "supplemental" arms that may have been used.

Here is my list as it stands...

Henry Repeater .44 Rimfire

Spencer Repeater, rifle and carbine. .56-50 Spencer

Trapdoor conversions from muzzle loaders. .50-70

Springfield 1870 Trapdoor, .50-70

Springfield .45-70 Trapdoors, various models, rifle and carbine versions.

M1885 Remmington Lee .45-70 (Limited Navy usage)

Springfield Krag Rifle and Carbine variations. .30-40

M1895 Lee Winchester 6mm Lee Navy

My friends are only interested in guns that could still theoretically be fired today through either still available ammo or handloading. Or, in the case of the Henry, in modern replicas that fire centerfire cartridges.

I think the above is a complete list, but I wanted to be sure. Have I left anything off that should be added?

There was the Burnside Carbine, although I don't think it meets your criteria of still being able to be fired today.

It's a cap and cartridge weapon which would not have seen much use after the Civil War. I have shot mine in a plainsman match. The cartridges are available from S&S.

1868 and 1870 Peabody side hammer Rifles used by various state militias. The Conn guns were eventually rechambered at the factory for 45 Govt.

Then if you're including the 1895 Lee you should also consider the 1892,1894,1896 models of the Krag in 30-40 and possibly the 1895 Winchester in 30-40. :FlagAm:

Sorry, looked back and saw you had included the Krags. :blush:

Archived