SASS Wire Forum

Sad News

Ivory Jack, #8534 LTG

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no words, Coyote will be missed! My condolences to his family.

With a heavy heart,

Ten High

I don't know what to say. Soiled Dove and I have known and been friends with Coyote since the first Mule Camps. We will surely miss him. Our prayers are with his family right now. SQ aptly said it, he is in good company now with Roy, Gene, et al. Via con Dios, Pard. May the Good Lord take a'shinin to ya, an remember to keep yore powder dry.

Rattlesnake & Soiled Dove

Sad news indeed. We lost a good'un, that's for sure. Very likable pard. He taught my ROII class. Didn't know him that well personally, but was around him a good bit, esp. in Las Vegas when I was a TG. A big pair of boots to fill. Wonder if The Boss will let him wear that B Western stuff up on the home range???

Adio CC. Stake a claim out for us.

I wish that summer could last forever

That cold winds never would reach our door.

I wish old partners could ride forever

On summer ranges forevermore.

But snow must fall on summer ranges.

Old friends must face the bitter wind.

But someday when the season changes

On summer ranges we'll ride again.

So let my farewell always warm you

And make a sundance in your heart.

May thoughts of parting never harm you

For true partners never part.

Snow must fall on summer ranges

Old friends must face the bitter wind.

But someday when the season changes

On summer ranges we'll ride again.

Michael Martin Murphy

COYOTE CALHOUN, SASS #201

October 1951 – September 2011

SASS Headquarters, NM – Wild Bunch member and Hall of Fame inductee, Coyote Calhoun, AKA Lamar Shelnutt, passed away suddenly September 20th while attending to business at SASS’ New Mexico Headquarters. He had assumed many of the major SASS business responsibilities for the past few years. Coyote Calhoun was the SASS National Programs Director and Marketing Director. He was a co-founder of the Shootout at Mule Camp, the first SASS Regional Championship, and, as a member of the Magnificent Seven, received the SASS Spirit Award in 1999. Coyote began working for SASS in 1999, bringing consistency and enthusiasm to the SASS National Shooting Program. He was part of the development of the SASS Range Operations Safety Courses and served on the SASS Range Operations Committee. He was an outspoken advocate of the “B” Western shooting category. In 2004, Coyote received the prestigious “Top Hand” award and was inducted into the Cowboy Action Shooting™ Hall of Fame in 2009.

Coyote’s enthusiasm, energy, and creativity have been vital to SASS and will surely be missed. The Wild Bunch and SASS staff offer sincere condolences to the family. Funeral arrangements are pending at this time, but will be announced as soon as available.

Guest Evil Roy

What a shock and great loss to SASS.

Very, very sad to hear. He was a pleasure to be around.

Condolences to the family. He will be missed by all.

Evil Roy, Wicked Felina and Holy Terror

Condolences to Family and friends

Twelve Mile Reb and Pat

The Ghosts were shocked and sadden to hear about Coyote's passing.

God bless him and his family.

We will miss him and his "wooleys".

The Ghosts

I will remember him in his Giant Woolies forever...always brings a smile to my face!!!!!!

Mulecamp, Classic Cowboy, and so many great ideas he's helped us all with!!

Condolences and prayers for his family!!!!!

Thanks so much for all your hard work for us all.

It's a sad day indeed.

Bad Hombre & Quicksdraw Connie

I am stunned.

Very sad and unexpected.

My condolences to his family, and he will be missed.

I am fortunate to have had many a rousing conversations & libations with CC, and I will miss that.

What a shock!

As Misty and others have posted, he did so much for SASS both in Georgia and nationwide. What big boots to fill!

We are praying for his family and his many SASS friends.

Marauder & Mine's Taken

Railroad Bill and I are stunned and saddened at this news.

Coyote Calhoun monitored the RO1 & RO2 classes we took early in our SASS involvement.

I think it says a lot about how important Coyote was to his friends and to our SASS family that he will be missed SO MUCH.

Our prayers go out to his family. :(

Prayers up and condolences to his family and friends. A sad day indeed.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) and Lady Fingers McGee

Coyote Calhoun was one of the driving forces in getting SASS started in Georgia. To say he will be greatly missed by his SASS Cowboy pards in Georgia and throughout the SASS world is an understatement. My deepest sympathy and prayers are given to his family.

The first time I met Coyote, I knew I had a met someone I wanted as a friend. I have enjoyed the years of knowing him and the conversations we have had.

I will miss you him but I wont forget him!

Vaya Con Dios my friend.

JM

Sorry to hear about the loss we have all just had. My family's prayrers are with his family, and will be thinking of him at our next shoot, as I am returning to shooting in sass again.

Very sad news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Cowboy Action Shooting has lost a magnificent contributor.

M.T. Stetson and Miss Beary

My most sincere condolences to the family and friends. My Prayers lifted up to our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus.

Ricochet Roy

I just heard the sad news about Coyote Calhoun, when a friend called me. He was one of the first people I remember meeting in SASS and I always shot on his posse at all the monthly matches here and the shoots the group of people I used to shoot with traveled to. I was there when Coyote Calhoun won his Spirit of the Game award, we both won it the same year and we both kept kelling each other we didn't deserve it. Lamar (CC) pionerred the trail of the Southeastern shooting matches, he helped make Mule Camp possible and helped work the match with the rest of us, he was a good friend, and all my thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, his wife Kay, and the girls!

CC will certainly be missed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone knows that my best friend in the whole world is Ima Peach, I grew up shooting with her and the gang we all hung out with... one day while at a shoot her husband fell, he had had a heart attack and she was scared to death, she was falling apart but it was CC who held her together and who stayed with her and took her husband and her to the hospital, he never left their side, although he had phneumonia... he saved my best friend's husband that day.. he saved his life. She and I will always be grateful for his kindness!

Hopefully the heartfelt condolences shared by all will bring support to the family. The SASS family has lost a true cowboy.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"

Prentice Ritter

Marshall John Joseph

Hello All:

I just talked to Kay. She is holding up as well as can be expected .... much better than I think I would be. In any event, she says the Medical Examiner must perform an autopsy; then prepare Coyote for burial; then fly him home to Georgie. The earliest that will be is probably Friday. She promied to keep me informed on services. Please keep Kay, Katie, Blair and the rest of your family in thoughts and prayers.

Justice Lily Kate

#1000 Life & Regulator

Archived