SASS Wire Forum

D.L required for gun transfers?

Seldom Seen #16162

Howdy,

I do a bit of trading and purchasing gunsin person and on the internet. I do not have an FFL but work closely with a local guy who handles my transfers. He will only accept firearms shipments from private (non-FFL) parties if a legible copy of the shippers drivers license is included. This has caused me some problems in the past as guns have arrived without the required DL. This puts me in a limbo situation. My guy will not release the guns to me without the DL. It is then my problem to get the DL out of the shipper so I can recieve property that I have already paid for! Be sure your seller understands this up front. If they are too shy to send a copy of their DL I "shy" away from them. It can be a deal killer.

Hope this helps.

Michael Lowe

For non-ffl sellers to out-of-state buyers does the dealer recieving the gun require you to send a unaltered copy of your drivers license?

Yes ... A Drivers Licence... State ID or Government id if your in the service will work... Now I am Not A dealer but i do buy and sell online and thats how my ffl works and also if its pre 99 or (1898) or older yo dont need an ffl but you buyer should supply and id to prove age.... also the atf says a private seller can send a gun directly to a private buyer if in the same state but some states may change this and its frowned upon but legal in some states.

Absolutley positively withoutout question UP TO THE RECEIVING FFL-----------

ASK HIM before shipping!

You best have all his contact info-----------------CONTACT HIM!!

This. He holds the license, so he can request a copy of your DL, a box of Cracker Jacks, and a pack of Wrigley's gum if he wants. Identification isn't legally required, but the license holder is assuming a HUGE risk on taking your word on who you are and what your address is if he doesn't. Photo identification with a current residential address IS required from the transferee when the 4473 is completed.

This is being presented to me as a BATF requirement. As a C&R holder a bell went off if I was missing something I should be requiring with my purchases.

Thinking it over as a business practice it probably makes sense. As a BATF requiremnt well my name is Sue how do you do. :o

Archived